Jacko

The 130i Thread

6 minutes ago, outlawtorn said:

Thanks for pointing out my typo..Ive fixed it.... Its a new headliner...

It's actually a funny coincidence... the blue 130i I purchased 'by accident' a while back was advertised as having a sagging "hood liner". I purchased sight unseen and then discovered the "hood liner" (bonnet liner) was fine but the "head liner" (a much more expensive problem) was the bit that was sagging... the seller (a motor vehicle dealer but a private sale) said "I've always referred to that as the 'hood liner'"... it goes without saying that I gave him a look that said 'you're a dishonest bastard aren't you!'.

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, M3AN said:

It's actually a funny coincidence... the blue 130i I purchased 'by accident' a while back was advertised as having a sagging "hood liner". I purchased sight unseen and then discovered the "hood liner" (bonnet liner) was fine but the "head liner" (a much more expensive problem) was the bit that was sagging... the seller (a motor vehicle dealer but a private sale) said "I've always referred to that as the 'hood liner'"... it goes without saying that I gave him a look that said 'you're a dishonest bastard aren't you!'.

Cost me 550. to have it professionally done....I like my cars to be pristine, and also different from the rest... My cars generally sell like hotcakes lol... That dealer sounds a little dodgy, as they often are..

I would say almost 95% of people over 50 in the motor trade would refer to the head liner as a hood liner.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, leichtbau said:

I would say almost 95% of people over 50 in the motor trade would refer to the head liner as a hood liner.

Interesting (although he wasn't over 50), why is that? What's the provenance of the term "hood liner" (in a roof context), do you know?

Verts have hoods :)

12 minutes ago, Jacko said:

Verts have hoods :)

I thought of that but also, verts don't really have "hood" (or roof) liners! 

18 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Interesting (although he wasn't over 50), why is that? What's the provenance of the term "hood liner" (in a roof context), do you know?

I don't truly know, but I'd say it's in reference to a convertible top being referred to as a hood? There's definitely a whole bunch of generational automotive terms like that. When I was in the trade I remember one particular panel beater giving me an absolute earful for not knowing what a quarter glass was. Clock spring is another term that comes to mind (neither a spring, nor related to clocks).

Edited by leichtbau
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, outlawtorn said:

Cost me 550. to have it professionally done....I like my cars to be pristine, and also different from the rest... My cars generally sell like hotcakes lol... That dealer sounds a little dodgy, as they often are..

Just booked mine in to get the headlining replaced, won't get in for a month down here in Wellington. That's a good price. 

I do get clock spring (aka slipring) because it looks the same as the spring in a (mechanical) clock... quarter glass, I know what that is too but I don't know of an alternative name for it.

6 hours ago, IainR said:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/3148049996

Anyone know this car? It's had 4 NZ owners, 2 of which have been in the last 9 months. 

I think it looks beautiful with the paint and wheel setup. Slightly awkward area to go view from wellington though.... 

No, I've not see that one in my travels sorry but it does look good and is sensibly priced. Hawkes Bay is lovely for an overnighter. 

6 hours ago, M3AN said:

Hawkes Bay is lovely for an overnighter. 

Very true! 

I have a misfire again.  Oddly INPA brings up a bunch of codes but ISTA+ brings up nothing.
Something is wrong with ISTA I think.  Everything functions fine but it never finds any codes.  I know for sure my FRM module has two.  INPA sees this.

Got to be my install.  Bimmergeeks tool picked them all up.  But not right away.  Nothing of interest to do with a miss though.
Will Data log and try and capture it.

Edited by Driftit
  • Like 1

Quick show of hands of who would be interested in set of N52B30 RHD headers, will be nicely made, budget couple of k.

Seeing if its worthy of convincing fabricator to make a jig off of mine.

Edited by Jacko

Saw this in supermarket carpark, driver let me into traffic so high 5, but it looks to be on M3 style 220s. Looks good, fitments pretty aggressive and I couldn't see the wheels to closely.

I wonder if its 2 sets of fronts? (19x8.5 ET29) or replicas with different offset to the BMW 19x8.5 ET29 / 19x9.5 ET23s? @qube

210956197_10157757527227693_6209552390499197800_n.jpg

I'm a 130i owner again!

I sold my manual 130i last year to scratch a 4x4 itch. I regret nothing but I'm so happy to be back in a sports car. I second guessed myself a lot about buying an auto but I couldn't stretch to the asking price of the few manuals that are around.

I picked this 104,000km auto for $7500 today. Exterior is a 9/10 (i'm not very picky so that number might be a bit high in some of your eyes 🤣). Zero kerbing on the alloys and no dents or scratches.

Interior is a different matter....

I have no idea what happened to the sunroof cover lining. it's gross. I'm thinking about just ignoring it as when it's slid back, it's hardly noticeable. 

The idrive (?) screen is borked. Again, no idea what happened to it. It looks like a protective screen has melted onto it. The previous owner admits he started scraping off the lining but got carried away and has damaged the pixels. As the screen can be hidden (can you see a theme here?) it doesn't bother me too much but I need to do some research into a new system as I'd love to have a touchscreen up there for spotify and maybe google maps. Any ideas or recommendations in this area?

Anyway. Aside from the 'blemishes' noted above, I love the car. I think the colour is beautiful and the rims/alloys really suit it. The auto box is far better than I thought it would be. Using the paddles in sports mode really wakes up the car. I was considering getting some form of golf purely for the DSG box but i'm delighted with the bmw. Having seen @M3AN's Showroom thread, i've ordered a set of the Nelson Racing paddles to replace the weird bmw setup. I chose to be ignorant of the US $ conversion rate but they came in at just under $300 NZD 😶 More than i bargained for but I can't wait for them to arrive!

IMG_20210710_163129.jpg

IMG_20210710_161620.jpg

IMG_20210710_161653.jpg

IMG_20210710_161534_BURST001_COVER.jpg

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, IainR said:

I'm a 130i owner again!

Nice work! 💪

As for the display, I have one of these: https://avinusa.com/10-25-multimedia-navigation-system-for-bmw-1-series-e81-e82-e87-e88.html which is pretty good actually.

As for the sunroof cover, get something like this and slap it on: https://www.amazon.com/VViViD-Black-Matte-Contact-1-49ft/dp/B00YLFSJ4Y/ - obviously measure first and order to suit.

• Thanks 1

Cheers for the tips. I'll definitely get myself some of that sticky vinyl stuff. 

I meant to say that I do miss the howl from the BMWP exhaust. The standard setup on this car is far more grown-up & sensible but I used to get a big kick out of flooring the throttle through tunnels!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jacko said:

Saw this in supermarket carpark, driver let me into traffic so high 5, but it looks to be on M3 style 220s. Looks good, fitments pretty aggressive and I couldn't see the wheels to closely.

I wonder if its 2 sets of fronts? (19x8.5 ET29) or replicas with different offset to the BMW 19x8.5 ET29 / 19x9.5 ET23s? @qube

210956197_10157757527227693_6209552390499197800_n.jpg

I reckon they must be reps that suit the 3 series so around et35-40

• Like 2

Looking for some 130i brake advice, I know a couple of members have upgraded to bigger brakes, @Jacko and @M3AN come to mind.

I'm thinking either a bolt on brake upgrade, that I don't need to code in if possible, which I would get calipers and or rotors used(or buy new rotors) from a 335d? Or 335i? Or M135i? 

Or get caliper rebuild kit/s and get new stock rotors. 

I'm looking for the rotor sizes for stock and for the upgrade versions, and any other parts, or tips, I will potentially need (brake lines/brake sensors?) to do a full brake refresh. 

The coding bit is piss easy, takes about 5min, you dont actually need to code them but BMW did the work to get the brake balance and feel right... so why not.

The easiest plug and play is E82 135 calipers,  these are the big banana brakes on my car. They bolt straight on front and rear, calipers are big but old school design (at least in the front)... only real downside from them is having to remove the caliper to change pads on the front, rears are more moden. Think the caliper was share with a few porsche models. The front rotors are same as 135, the rear are specific to the BMW performance 130 kit, but are available at sane prices (brembo) if you shop around, think I paid $120 a rotor slotted/dimpled nice rotors. Rotors for front and rear are also available from DBA so easy to get. Technically, you dont need a cert for this option. 

The other option for shiny big monoblock calipers is F20 M135, fronts are bolt, however the rears require some finnicking to make fit as (from memory) use E39 M5 rear disks that are modified and trimmed pads. More modern caliper, but comes with more bullshittery as was never a stock 130 option (whereas the BMW performance option is just painted up 135 brakes)

Third option, which would be nice, but difficult logistically, is F20 M135i front calipers and rotors and E82 135 rear calipers with BMWP 130 rear rotors. 

335i/d brakes are also an option, but are not monoblocks and are big single pot and not shiny. Arguably good option if making a cheap track car, but if cheap track car is the goal best option is probably race pads and rotors on stock calipers.... the shiney monoblocks are 90% wank factor :D  Suspect the fronts are bolt on, not sure about the rears. 

Edited by Jacko
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

FWIW, I suspect my rebuild of the 135i calipers I got cheap ($800?) cost more than just buying BMW Performance kit new... could do a cheaper rebuild than what I did in saying that. 

• Like 1

Will be doing the big banana upgrade on my E87, just so I'm getting this correct:

F - 135i calipers / rotors / pads

R - 135i calipers / BMP 130i rotors / 135i pads

Plus coding for brake balance. I remember mucking around with the BMWP 6 piston brembo caliper in 2011 and wondering what the weights were for; run them on the calipers or not?

Has anyone weighed the calipers out of interest?

• Like 1

You got it, the good thing the 135i calipers is there is sh*t loads of pad options.

The weights must be a harmonic resonance thing, they are big chunks of steel bolted to the aluminium caliper. I didnt bother weighing them, probably similar to stock brakes though for any meaningful purposes in unsprung weight - Steel Vs Ali, and the 135 rotor is two piece with aluminium hat.

The the other option for the real BBK fanbois is to run E82 135 calipers up front, on adapters with E46 M3 CSL rotors. FBBK. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jacko said:

Third option, which would be nice, but difficult logistically, is F20 M135i front calipers and rotors and E82 135 rear calipers with BMWP 130 rear rotors.

This if you can do it. It solves both "normal" upgrade problems:

• Gives you proper, modern front calipers without warts (F series); and,
  • Doesn't require you to faff around with the rears (E series)

You can't colour match this combo though so you're in for a strip and powder coat (and decals), extra $.

My M140i fronts are epic, yet to install the rears because of the faff.

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 2