Jacko

The 130i Thread

On 12/7/2021 at 10:22 PM, Jacko said:

A mate just bought a tidy, manual, AW11 for 18k ;) 

I wonder what Japans fleet of 130s currently is, I suspect we have more of their than they do now! 

The one on Trade Me with the 20V and ITBs?

1 hour ago, NZ_InFerno said:

Is that the BMWP bumper with a lip on it? 

Stock non M bumper.

turns out is all just custom made, some guy really wanted an "alpina" 1er.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sammo said:

The one on Trade Me with the 20V and ITBs?

Possibly, it does have ITBs. Said after driving it back from down south decided that screw turboing it, ITBs are the way ;) 

There is something to be said about NA, even if slower, bouncing off the rev limiter in my old black top BZ-Touring was hilarious fun... wasnt fast but the noises and way it made power manically at 7500rpm probably made up for it. Need to get tweek the 130s "torque everywhere" engine setup and make it more manic :D 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Jacko said:

Possibly, it does have ITBs. Said after driving it back from down south decided that screw turboing it, ITBs are the way ;) 

There is something to be said about NA, even if slower, bouncing off the rev limiter in my old black top BZ-Touring was hilarious fun... wasnt fast but the noises and way it made power manically at 7500rpm probably made up for it. Need to get tweek the 130s "torque everywhere" engine setup and make it more manic :D 

Something I'm enjoying with the M20 is how it 'comes on cam' noticeably compared to the perfectly linear M54. 

• Like 1

Update:

front tyres are rubbing on bumps :(

might need to replace them for a size smaller 215/40/18 or find some 1 series offset wheels.. haha

or maybe some new shocks might help the bouncing over bumps and it wont scrape.. hmmm

M3 LCAs will probably do it, made the difference on mine. 

They're longer so they push the front hubs out, best combined with the camber pin mod which pushes the top of the shock in. Yes, more camber.

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, NZ_InFerno said:

Roll guards? 

@Jacko what do the M3 LCAs move to make more clearance? More camber?

My front right tyre rubs very occasionally on big bumps. 

Yeah the extra camber moves the top of the wheel inwards (as well as making the front end way more pointy). My ACS's (ET43 19x8.5)  used to rub over bumps on the front gaurds with 235s, 225s didnt rub. LCAs solved it and can run 235 all around.

Im on ET38 18x8.5 235/35 (so 1mm difference to Qube) and no rub with M3 LCAs (and mines a few mm lower)

Edited by Jacko
  • Like 2

Sounds like I need to be ordering some M3 LCAs. Probably due for a refresh anyway. Will add it to the parts pile in the garage 😅

They were TRW parts right, I remember someone posted the part numbers a while back. Is it just LCAs or is there more needed to do the swap? 

2 minutes ago, NZ_InFerno said:

Sounds like I need to be ordering some M3 LCAs. Probably due for a refresh anyway. Will add it to the parts pile in the garage 😅

They were TRW parts right, I remember someone posted the part numbers a while back. Is it just LCAs or is there more needed to do the swap? 

You'll need the little arm that that connects to the headlight leveling sensor too - M3 unit (couple of bucks)

142436946_10157410440592693_5830414040348636248_n.jpg

• Like 2

I'm just doing some shopping around for insurance, mine renews next month.

Do our cars have a factory immobilizer? I found an Australian car review that says they do, but if an insurance company requires proof of one that is not exactly rock solid. Is there a specific code in the BMW options in the vin that says anything? Or a better source. 

I've never been 100% sure either but have gone with the assumption that it does. 

For quotes, it's worth giving Westpac a shout as they have frequently given me the best price 👍

• Like 1

Do our cars have a factory immobilizer? I found an Australian car review that says they do, but if an insurance company requires proof of one that is not exactly rock solid. Is there a specific code in the BMW options in the vin that says anything? Or a better source. 

Factory option 302 - Alarm (sits in the rear left wheel well, pig to change battery on), fairly rare.

As to an immobilizer though, you could argue the factory DME and smart key is an immobilizer. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NZ_InFerno said:

Every BMW since the early 90's has a very effective multi-layer factory immobilizer, it's called EWS, I'd be surprised if the insurance company actually asked (once they knew the brand). You can't option it in or out, it's part of the CAS module.

The only two practical ways to steal a (somewhat) modern BMW are to acquire an original key, or haul it away. This applies to all German cars, it's been law there for nearly 3 decades.

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Jacko said:

Yeah thats the one that had the BMW performance exhaust

😲 they removed a BMWP exhaust for that monstrosity? 😢 At least the original comes with the car.

Was this the one with the GruppeM intake?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, M3AN said:

😲 they removed a BMWP exhaust for that monstrosity? 😢 At least the original comes with the car.

Was this the one with the GruppeM intake?

Yeah thought the same, asked the question still has it... The "advanti" wheels also erked me. 

Gruppe M intake was another one, this had an aftermarket strut brace, the BMWP front bar and exhaust (and the Advans)

Itd be worth buying for bits, I suspect gremlins in it though... sat on Turners for ages at low price. I might go check it out this weekend, try swipe the bmwp exhaust for $50 ;) 

Edited by Jacko
  • Thanks 1

And the wear on the outside bolster of the passenger seat (and the steering wheel to a lessor extent) concerns me, it seems very "well used". Slightly less miles than mine but the interior looks twice as old.

My (unintended) flipping exercise taught me it's not a big money maker, otherwise I might be in for bits too... I wouldn't mind the bumper, don't need the exhaust though.

Edited by M3AN
sp