Jacko

The 130i Thread

But it has just had its “radio frequency upgraded..!…” 🙄 

(isn’t that just a setting to change region to Oceania?)

Have a xenon ballast up on the For Sale section if anyone is interested. Happy to sell for $130. 

Hi all, 

Looking at buying some Style 193 rims and just wanted to double check if the fitment would be alright for the 130i. I can see in that trademe post M3AN posted above that they look to fit fine. Wanting to see if there's anything I should know before purchasing. Thanks. 

Tried to fit Style 193 wheels on mine

18x8" ET34 with 225/40 front

18x8.5" ET37 with 235/40 rear 

fronts rubbed over any small bumps. Ended up taking them off the car until i sort out new shocks to see if it would make a difference. Otherwise will need to change to m3 control arms. 

if you want you can try my wheels for fitment on your car. 

alternatively smaller tyres would probably work but i had already bought new tyres in the above size so it would be nice to be able to use them. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, duluth said:

Hi all, 

Looking at buying some Style 193 rims and just wanted to double check if the fitment would be alright for the 130i. I can see in that trademe post M3AN posted above that they look to fit fine. Wanting to see if there's anything I should know before purchasing. Thanks. 

Just bought myself a staggered set for my e46 off a fella that tried fitting them on his 130. Said the rears fit perfect but the fronts stuck out too much and were a hassle to try and make work.

27 minutes ago, Vass said:

Just bought myself a staggered set for my e46 off a fella that tried fitting them on his 130. Said the rears fit perfect but the fronts stuck out too much and were a hassle to try and make work.

Thanks mate. Will look at other options then.

^ Ive seen quite a few 130s with style 193s to know that it does work

I will report back after front shocks replacement :)

• Like 1

Hey guys, any recommendations on good affordable shocks? coil kit? I got suggested a Monroe OESpectrum shocks front and rear parts+labour+gst = $1000 give or take, from a company called Shock shop in Manukau they said its better than oem and affordable too.

I heard there's been a debate online(youtube comments) with monroe being sh*t quality but shop guy told me its a really good quality for a cheap price and they said its the only brand they have available in nz based on their suppliers as beilsteins/tein are out of stock for now due to covid.

Any recommendations? if i should just replace my shock or if not the whole kit? budget would be around $1k-1.5k as im still in the market for new set of wheels

13 minutes ago, Angelo said:

Hey guys, any recommendations on good affordable shocks? coil kit? I got suggested a Monroe OESpectrum shocks front and rear parts+labour+gst = $1000 give or take, from a company called Shock shop in Manukau they said its better than oem and affordable too.

I heard there's been a debate online(youtube comments) with monroe being sh*t quality but shop guy told me its a really good quality for a cheap price and they said its the only brand they have available in nz based on their suppliers as beilsteins/tein are out of stock for now due to covid.

Any recommendations? if i should just replace my shock or if not the whole kit? budget would be around $1k-1.5k as im still in the market for new set of wheels

Get some Bilstein's B6/B8s from FCPeuro etc. I think the set for my 330 was like $1200 including shipping. 

The OE Sachs are like $80 each.

Edited by Jacko

56 minutes ago, Jacko said:

Get some Bilstein's B6/B8s from FCPeuro etc. I think the set for my 330 was like $1200 including shipping. 

The OE Sachs are like $80 each.

cheers bro, having a hard time to look at a specific model from FCPeuro soo i went over to bilstein instead and saw a whole kit for $1.5k NZD  inc shipping! should be good enough right😝

Hope i got the right model with the black springs

https://www.bilstein-shop.com/bilstein-bmw-1-series-e81-e87-130i-b12-pro-kit-p-231445.html

That is what I am getting once I piece my hoist together.
Best bang for buck I think.  Had some promising reviews.

I was thinking about this before I ordered my replacements. Ended up just getting the Bilstein B4 because I think the msport suspension rides firm enough for my liking and comparing new shocks vs worn ones that’s done over 100k kms, i think it will be a decent “upgrade” back to factory ride quality.

I saw some people finding B6’s ride too harsh and I have no plans to lower the car so OE replacements seemed fine for me. 

32 minutes ago, Angelo said:

cheers bro, having a hard time to look at a specific model from FCPeuro soo i went over to bilstein instead and saw a whole kit for $1.5k NZD  inc shipping! should be good enough right😝

Hope i got the right model with the black springs

https://www.bilstein-shop.com/bilstein-bmw-1-series-e81-e87-130i-b12-pro-kit-p-231445.html

Black springs will be fine, red will ride really low. Do you know you actually need springs?

1 minute ago, M3AN said:

Black springs will be fine, red will ride really low. Do you know you actually need springs?

good question, i think my springs are fine just dont have the car atm to visually inspect but one of my shocks is leaking soo i thought to just replace the whole thing. Do you think if i buy this with springs it will lower my car further more than the factory springs? sorry still new at this

27 minutes ago, Angelo said:

good question, i think my springs are fine just dont have the car atm to visually inspect but one of my shocks is leaking soo i thought to just replace the whole thing. Do you think if i buy this with springs it will lower my car further more than the factory springs? sorry still new at this

Yes, the B12 kit (or Eibach springs alone) will lower the car but not by much, as long as you're using stock-ish wheels you'll be fine. B4 shocks and your existing springs would be the formula for keeping the same ride height. If you buy shocks and they don't come with new bumpstops then you'll need those and you should be BMW Performance versions, not stock versions (stock are too long).

Edited by M3AN

45 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Yes, the B12 kit (or Eibach springs alone) will lower the car but not by much, as long as you're using stock-ish wheels you'll be fine. B4 shocks and your existing springs would be the formula for keeping the same ride height. If you buy shocks and they don't come with new bumpstops then you'll need those and you should be BMW Performance versions, not stock versions (stock are too long).

oh true! well i wouldnt mind going just a tad lower i guess. but i'll also do abit of research on the B4 as there seem to be  2 models?

Remarks: Standard suspension or Sports Suspension

i have a 130i 2007 (pre-lci) msport

This is what I ended up getting which is basically the equivalent to stock msport

front left strut 31316786019 Bilstein B4S BLS22-144256
front right strut 31316786020 Bilstein B4S BLS22-144270
rear shocks x2 33526771559 Bilstein B4S BLS19-144238

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, M3AN said:

Sports. 👍

Edit: this is worth a read, at least the first and last few pages, if you want more detail:

https://www.babybmw.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=80208

Thank you for providing that interesting thread, i came across it before but wasnt as interested until my mechanic told me to replace my suspensions lol. I could be more likely to buy the B4 now, and seems like it's only available on demon tweeks, going to cost me $700 +/- inc shipping! :o :D  

Should I need to get the BMWP bumpstops for front and rear too? 

2 hours ago, qube said:

This is what I ended up getting which is basically the equivalent to stock msport

front left strut 31316786019 Bilstein B4S BLS22-144256
front right strut 31316786020 Bilstein B4S BLS22-144270
rear shocks x2 33526771559 Bilstein B4S BLS19-144238

@qube oh yo just as I need! Cant seem to find these models anymore on the Bilstein page. Demon tweeks seem to have them if i search up "BLS22-144256......." may cost me around $700 give or take. Should I also need anything besides these 4 items? Cause I will be handing the labour to my mechanic (still need to look for one)

bmw bump stops front 31336767333
bmw bump stops rear x2 33536767335

or

bmw performance bump stops rear x2 33536788905

I ordered mine from demontweeks and schmiedmann due to in stock levels. Ended up paying more for shipping but otherwise you can get it from 1 place for cheaper shipping but longer wait times :)

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, qube said:

bmw bump stops front 31336767333
bmw bump stops rear x2 33536767335

or

bmw performance bump stops rear x2 33536788905

I ordered mine from demontweeks and schmiedmann due to in stock levels. Ended up paying more for shipping but otherwise you can get it from 1 place for cheaper shipping but longer wait times :)

There's abit to choose from, i dont mind waiting. If you can help me on my journey as im still new at this lol

bmw bump stops front  

https://www.schmiedmann.com/en/bmw-e87lci/catn-ol?q=31336767333 do i choose the first option or the second one? or third? lol

bmw performance bump stops rear x2  

I will go with the BMWP for the rear as i heard that its a good balance of comfort and performance

and i suppose once i have my shocks arrive and bumpstops do i just give them all to my mechanic and he'll know what to do with it? 

^might have to double check those part numbers i gave you if your car is pre lci. 

check on realoem.com using your vin number 

1 minute ago, qube said:

^might have to double check those part numbers i gave you if your car is pre lci. 

check on realoem.com using your vin number 

true! i'll get it sussed up once i get my car then from the workshop :)  cheers bro @qube

Hi all, 

Just wondering what transmission service kit people would recommend along with the correct gearbox oil. 

Thanks.