Jacko

The 130i Thread

15 minutes ago, Angelo said:

and another find from the marketplace if anyone is keen, Brembo Caliper brakes (i guess the newer generation)

Yes, they're the "M-Lite" brakes off a M135/140... although pricy, I paid less than half of that for mine (ex. UK) and they came with near new pads.

Fronts are bolt on to the 130 (although wheel clearance needs to be carefully checked), rears are a total faff so I haven't installed them yet.

Edited by M3AN

18 hours ago, Jacko said:

RHD version???

Apparently. The seller actually told me to get in touch with you regarding the engine mount clearance issue. That was an easy fix however the steering column not so much!

14 minutes ago, Mikenz said:

Apparently. The seller actually told me to get in touch with you regarding the engine mount clearance issue. That was an easy fix however the steering column not so much!

Any pics of the interference?

5 hours ago, Jacko said:

Any pics of the interference?

I didn't take any pictures I'm afraid. But there is zero chance of it fitting. Even manipulating the sh*t out of it with a hammer 😬.

So it looks like my E87 battery is toast.

Question...... if I replace it for one with the same specs, do I still have to go through the coding shite?

46 minutes ago, Antallica said:

So it looks like my E87 battery is toast.

Question...... if I replace it for one with the same specs, do I still have to go through the coding shite?

No, but you'll still need to register it as a new battery.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, M3AN said:

No, but you'll still need to register it as a new battery.

Any recommendations on battery/retailers? The retailers up here are a RIP! Over $630incl GST.

Found my exact battery here - https://www.batteryworx.co.nz/products/varta-din66-car-battery-780cca?variant=46410466568 - $399 + $12.90 shipping.

Edited by Antallica

4 hours ago, Antallica said:

Any recommendations on battery/retailers? The retailers up here are a RIP! Over $630incl GST.

Try Wrack Auto Electrical.

1 hour ago, Allanw said:

Try Wrack Auto Electrical.

Yeah tried them first, they were the most expensive sadly

• Sad 1

@Antallica - I'll try and remember to look at what I have tomorrow and post back. Of course if you don't have stop/start you do not need an AGM battery.

I do recall getting a killer deal for a new Bosch battery for my M3 from https://www.mrpositive.co.nz/ a couple of years back, they might be worth a look.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, C-130 Hercules said:

Super Start Batteries in Botany is also worth a try 

https://superstart.net.nz/

I got my battery from here, a Varta E39. Would never call it cheap but they seemed to have a better price than other places I looked at the time

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Antallica said:

So update, new battery and still no dice. Same electrical whirring noise and no crank.

Starter motor is pretty common. Mine was replaced well before 100k. Has a mechanic taken a look? Perhaps get a cheap Wi-Fi code reader? 🤔 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Antallica said:

So update, new battery and still no dice. Same electrical whirring noise and no crank.

When my starter motor recently failed I gave it a whack with the hammer, it then went from not doing anything to making a whirring noise and smelling like burning. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Blackie said:

Starter motor is pretty common. Mine was replaced well before 100k. Has a mechanic taken a look? Perhaps get a cheap Wi-Fi code reader? 🤔 

Yeah I'll get my mechanic on the blower in the morning. Had to reschedule on them last week when this sh*t started..... all I needed was to get a WOF 😂

23 minutes ago, gofaster said:

Is it unusual for a 130i not to have the nav screen on the dash?

It's not particularly common to have no iDrive but NZ tends to get under-spec'd cars... surprised it has Xenons and dual PDC actually.

• Thanks 1

Not really uncommon, particularly on the pre-FL cars, not really a loss either as wasnt even very good when new and just dates cars when ages, may not have even been an option on the early kiwi cars. 

NZ 130s being lower speced than japanese is nonsense :D There are literally only 32 of them, 13 manuals, most got xenons etc. The only true poverty pack one Ive seen is one thats now a race car, was a red 2005, looked to be first one in the country - Manual/Non M/Halogen lights/no options etc... kinda gave the impression it was imported to be a race car.  

Edited by Jacko
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/19/2022 at 4:24 PM, Jacko said:

Not really uncommon, particularly on the pre-FL cars, not really a loss either as wasnt even very good when new and just dates cars when ages, may not have even been an option on the early kiwi cars. 

NZ 130s being lower speced than japanese is nonsense :D There are literally only 32 of them, 13 manuals, most got xenons etc. The only true poverty pack one Ive seen is one thats now a race car, was a red 2005, looked to be first one in the country - Manual/Non M/Halogen lights/no options etc... kinda gave the impression it was imported to be a race car.  

speaking of low entry price race cars....

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/130i/listing/3916085934?bof=18mMKlsm

bit rough but if you were going that route...

• Like 2

Sorry to come back to the tyre conversation... I need new rears. Currently have 245/35 R18, can I go straight to 255/35 or is there something I need to check first?

As long as your wheels are 8.5" and have normal-ish offset there's nothing else to worry about.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Antallica said:

Sorry to come back to the tyre conversation... I need new rears. Currently have 245/35 R18, can I go straight to 255/35 or is there something I need to check first?

I am running 255/35x18's on the rear of my 130i using 135i rims no problem at all.

• Like 1