Jacko

The 130i Thread

Anyone here know where to get the proper CHF 11S  Steering fluid? 

29 minutes ago, Angelo said:

Anyone here know where to get the proper CHF 11S  Steering fluid? 

Fcpeuro 

Order two 1L cans, one for flush and the other to fill. New reservoir with filter is also cheap from fcp and worth doing. 

Edited by NZ_InFerno

11 minutes ago, NZ_InFerno said:

Fcpeuro 

Order two 1L cans, one for flush and the other to fill. New reservoir with filter is also cheap from fcp and worth doing. 

yeah i thought of that too, 1L x2 at fcpeuro will cost $161 NZD for two small litres . Just cant justify spending that much specially the atrocious shipping fee  that cost more than the bottle lol cause its liquids. But regardless i'd like to keep it as my last option :)

Yep i got a new febi reservoir from last year, still in the box ;) just needing new two metal prongs that can clip it tight as i believe the factory ones are one time use?

On 5/2/2023 at 5:34 PM, KwS said:

just rung my local bmw dealership (should've done this in the first place) they do stock our CHF 11s Fluid for around $48 1L BMW brand which I suppose is the same as pentosin. 

• Like 2

Looks like my BMC CCC screen had started delaminating, it's getting on now and it's time I got it replaced. 

Any screen/android system recommendations? To mount in place of the existing fold out screen. 

Also if there's any installers down Wellington way who could install an Android screen, or supply /install that would be sweet too. 

18 hours ago, NZ_InFerno said:

Any screen/android system recommendations? To mount in place of the existing fold out screen. 

I use one of these and really like it: https://avinusa.com/10-25-multimedia-navigation-system-for-bmw-1-series-e81-e82-e87-e88.html

There are many clones on Ali if you want to save a few bucks. Just be sure to go Android 10+ with at least 4GB of RAM. Install is involved but not too complex but paying somebody to do it could get quite expensive, it's many hours of labour.

• Like 1

Hey @M3AN did you put one of those in your 130i? Looks pretty good, and wife is moaning about having all the infotainment in her car so could be cheaper than buying her a new car.

Sounds like your impressed overall, what would be your longer version of the Review above?

4 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Hey @M3AN did you put one of those in your 130i? Looks pretty good, and wife is moaning about having all the infotainment in her car so could be cheaper than buying her a new car.

Sounds like your impressed overall, what would be your longer version of the Review above?

Yep, installed in the 130, here's my initial impression:

And if you search that thread for "avin" you'll find a few more comments.

Yes, I'm happy with it, completely modernises the interior because it's such a high quality/resolution display. The Bluetooth issues I originally had were solved when they swapped out the incorrect 2GB unit for the 4GB one. Had I picked a random one from Ali, although the same units, I might have had more trouble exchanging them, in my case I shipped back to the USA, not China (although both units were dispatched from China). I also needed some support exchanges via email and I was pleasantly surprised at how easy and prompt that was. There's a hidden menu with lots of important settings (like LHD/RHD) so don't forget that... I wasn't aware until support told me and gave me the PIN for access.

Some people mention that the screen is always in your field of vision... well, yes it is but like most things the human brain adapts and I don't "see" it now unless I'm looking at it. Radio Sport is gone now so I no longer use AM frequencies but it was weak with those. You can drop back to the car's built in CCC system any time and it also preserves stalk check control capabilities. You can continue to use the CCC dial to navigate both the legacy and new Android system.

Having proper nav with offline maps and live traffic (if you hotspot from your phone) is gold. 

Not much more to say that's not covered in the post in the other thread... go for the latest Android version with the most RAM you can afford and absolutely nothing lower than Android 10 and 4GB RAM. Get the mic and external speaker at the same time to install for Bluetooth calling etc so you save the hassle of pulling the thing out again. When installing use some thin anti-squeak adhesive tape for where the hard plastic surfaces contact each other (IMHO).

I have an old Samsung NFC tile under the mat in the armrest storage (I swapped the 'phone ready' cassette for a blank storage cassette) which is where I put my phone, once placed on the tile the phone turns the hotspot on and once I've pulled out of the garage and lost the home wifi connection to the headunit it automatically switches over to the hotspot so I remain seamlessly connected for both data and calls.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, looks a pretty good unit. The physical install doesn’t phase me, even the electrical side I should be able to work out.

The bit that I have no experience of is the whole software / programming / configuring bit which is a concern, especially as I have zero experience of Android.

I’ll do a bit more research and see what I can find as an alternative that may be easier. At the end of the day I think this unit would be overkill, 1) for me to get the most out of and 2) for what the wife wants (Bluetooth phonecalls and music streaming).

14 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

The bit that I have no experience of is the whole software / programming / configuring bit which is a concern, especially as I have zero experience of Android.

It's plug and play really, no software knowledge required.

14 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

I’ll do a bit more research and see what I can find as an alternative that may be easier. At the end of the day I think this unit would be overkill, 1) for me to get the most out of and 2) for what the wife wants (Bluetooth phonecalls and music streaming).

Probably worth looking into installing a standard Bluetooth Professional unit from a later model, I understand you need to upgrade other components to make this work but it's been done successfully before.

• Thanks 1

Honestly you are better off with the Android unit.  The factory upgrades are a pain in the ass and usually already well out of date.
Wireless Apple car play via one of the android units.  Or if you love the crap OG screen you can get a plug in apple car play unit that uses the screen.  Great features.  But you are using the OG screen..

If you have Xenon headlights, and haven't created drain holes for your ballasts then be warned...

• Like 1

Weird.  My car is an outside car.  Always has been.  Had the lights out recently for a proper polish and there was no moisture in them.  But that does look like a silly design.  So why do some do it and others not?  Was the water stagnant like it had been there a long time?  Or was it filled up in a single rain storm?

Also is Valeo OEM or OE?

Edited by Driftit

On 5/13/2023 at 8:39 PM, M3AN said:

If you have Xenon headlights, and haven't created drain holes for your ballasts then be warned...

Looks like another one to add on my list when I get my bumper replaced and headlight projectors upgrade :)

Good call Dave!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Driftit said:

Weird.  My car is an outside car.  Always has been.  Had the lights out recently for a proper polish and there was no moisture in them.  But that does look like a silly design.  So why do some do it and others not?  Was the water stagnant like it had been there a long time?  Or was it filled up in a single rain storm?

Also is Valeo OEM or OE?

Caught me by surprise too! Headlight, and all components are OE (Valeo) as delivered from the BMW factory.

There are reports of this happening (UK and DE) from as early as 2 years from brand new vehicle purchases so it is a common and persistent problem. There are reports from Europe that some were "fixed" under warranty whereas other claims were rejected, no pattern is obvious to me in these cases.

The water I drained was clear enough and with no tell-tale 'tide' marks on the housing so I assume this is a recent accumulation over Auckland's wonderful summer. I did drive home during the January floods, I did drive in the wet during the February cyclone, and it was parked outside for ~18 hours during the "atmospheric river" that we had last week... so a terrible set of circumstances. Regardless, the failure is inexcusable from a design and engineering perspective, cars get wet.

Mine verses others? Can't be sure but it's certainly a common problem ( heaps of reports on 1er and babybmw), I suspect it's just a matter of time if the car is ever exposed to severe water/rainfall. Apparently the way water runs off the gutters of the car funnels it almost directly to the headlight, which then drains to this housing.

It's an afternoon exercise to check and create the drain holes, I'd recommend that as preventative maintenance, I don't think there's a real downside (unless you're submerging the vehicle).

8 hours ago, Driftit said:

Also is Valeo OEM or OE?

Caught me by surprise too! Headlight, and all components are OE (Valeo) as delivered from the BMW factory.

There are reports of this happening (UK and DE) from as early as 2 years from brand new vehicle purchases so it is a common and persistent problem. There are reports from Europe that some were "fixed" under warranty whereas other claims were rejected, no pattern is obvious to me in these cases.

The water I drained was clear enough and with no tell-tale 'tide' marks on the housing so I assume this is a recent accumulation over Auckland's wonderful summer. I did drive home during the January floods, I did drive in the wet during the February cyclone, and it was parked outside for ~18 hours during the "atmospheric river" that we had last week... so a terrible set of circumstances. Regardless, the failure is inexcusable from a design and engineering perspective, cars get wet.

Mine verses others? Can't be sure but it's certainly a common problem (heaps of reports on 1er and babybmw), I suspect it's just a matter of time if the car is ever exposed to severe water/rainfall. Apparently the way water runs off the gutters of the car funnels it almost directly to the headlight, which then drains to this housing.

It's an afternoon exercise to check and create the drain holes, I'd recommend that as preventative maintenance, I don't think there's a real downside (unless you're submerging the vehicle).

Don’t see these up for sale too often. Apparently only 5 in NZ with 2 doors? 

53FC7080-0EC5-41D0-B773-12B0020D5EA7.png

Just now, Kees said:

Don’t see these up for sale too often. Apparently only 5 in NZ with 2 doors? 

wow! at that price! and rarity. Surely this wont last long in marketplace

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Angelo said:

wow! at that price! and rarity. Surely this wont last long in marketplace

Yeah seems way too cheap?

Super low ks and its had a fair bit of work done:

2008 E81 130i

-73,000kms

-For sale is my 2 door 130i. Only about 5 of these in NZ currently. -WOF done last week. No advisories 6 months Rego left -Facelift version meaning leather door cards etc but still has Hydraulic steering In my ownership

- Replaced both Front Sway Links

Regular Oil & filter Changes

4 x new tyres (last week) (Laufenn LK03)

Valve cover gasket Oil filter housing gasket

Serpentine belt Rear brake pads & rotors Transmission service

Air filter Headlight Polish Previous owner

- Replaced Vanos solenoids Door rubber seals Steering angle sensor fixed

-Has Bilstein Suspension & Eibach Sway Bars. Handles very well.

-Exterior could use some love. I have recently gone over it with a clay bar and some polish.

Stain from fuel under the filling point. -Interior is in very good condition. No iDrive which means an extra cup holder! -Manual seats (supposedly gives more range of adjustment)

-Bluetooth Audio adapter -

Windows only go up and down in increments due to Footwell module being replaced with one from a 4 door. I have the correct module to go with the car. Please feel free to ask any questions. Photos to come.

2 minutes ago, NZ_InFerno said:

5 seems high, but there could have been  more imported over the last couple years. IMG_20230516_230829.thumb.jpg.9a70f589d050d595e0d42e2fbcb4c62f.jpg

I used to occasionally see this one

4CAB4222-4252-4D5F-B576-0699F3A08F32.png

• Like 1

Just needs a manual swap for ultimate win.

• Like 1

That’s my one, going overseas so just looking for an easy sale. 5 just a guess! Probably less in reality.

I bought it off NZ_InFerno’s brother in law I believe about 2 years ago 

• Like 2

Was just about to post this in here! Good price I reckon. Hopefully someone from bimmersport buys it. 

• Like 2