Jacko

The 130i Thread

Exhaust Rattle

Hello my 130i has started having a random rattle at low revs that I think is related to the exhaust system / heat sheild but unsure as dont have access to a hoist and struggling to get my nose under when driven on to a couple of 6x2 

I did think that perhaps it was the exhaust butterfly , but have done the " golf tee mod" and still have the noise.  Giving the muffler a wee push with my foot there is a small rattle  towards to mid of the car, could this be the cat convertor and if so can i get this cut out and a straight thru put in its place without cheating a " drone" at various revs?

Advise / help appreciated.  and or recommendations on who I should take car to in Wellington.. dont mind paying for a cash job on a sat/ sun so long as workmanship is good  ( i have grown an affection for the old girl 😉😵💫)

thanks in advance

murray

It will be one of the centre heat shields.  Mine does it on occasion.  I just give it a little bend until it stops.
Right dead centre of the car though.  Any exhaust shop or mechanic should be able to give it a tweak for you.
Otherwise I could help sometime after work next week.  I have a hoist and am in Featherston just over the hill.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jacko said:

I'm keen, depending on price, needs a lot of tuning and filters before I order a set. Probably not any extra power but sounds awesome 

Didn't realise N54 manifold is a common mod for N52.. has anyone done it?

17 minutes ago, Danch said:

Didn't realise N54 manifold is a common mod for N52.. has anyone done it?

For the lower tier N52s, 325i/328i, that don't have the three stage manifolds it's somewhat common in the US to use a N54 manifold as an upgrade. It's hard to get hold of a three stage N52 there afaik.I

It's not as good as the  130i/330i full N52 spec motor manifold from the dyno tests I've seen, makes same or slightly more power at the top end but sacrifices torque to do so. 

Edited by NZ_InFerno
  • Like 2

Yeah N54 manifold is like 5bhp more at 7000rpm, but worse everywhere else. 

Id be keen for the velocity stack setup as well, dyno graph does look promising - gives a solid kick up top without making everything else poop.

What exhaust are you guys running? I'm keen to hear more of the sound, but I don't want it to drone or be annoying to my neighbours/colleagues 🤔

Who does everyone use for parts supply? My Mickey Mouse hose has split and I am need of a quick replacement to get me out on the track this weekend. 
Been quoted $200inc gst for a genuine replacement but looking at other options including the billet flanges but need one asap. 
cheers

Dave

53 minutes ago, Dave_Tee said:

Who does everyone use for parts supply? My Mickey Mouse hose has split and I am need of a quick replacement to get me out on the track this weekend. 
Been quoted $200inc gst for a genuine replacement but looking at other options including the billet flanges but need one asap. 
cheers

Dave

Amazon prime sometimes does really quick deliveries. If you are really hard up I have an aluminium mickeymouse one here, might be able to courier it to Qtown by the weekend.

Legend - thanks for the offer Jacko. 
I have found a shop who can get me one in by Thursday at latest. 

Interestingly fcp euro were 8 days - can’t complain with that! 
cheers

My recent FCP and spareto orders have arrived to my door inside a week, pretty impressive.

On 2/23/2024 at 3:47 PM, Danch said:

What exhaust are you guys running? I'm keen to hear more of the sound, but I don't want it to drone or be annoying to my neighbours/colleagues 🤔

Supersprint backbox. Bit louder under throttle + nicer sound. Zero drone. Not annoying at 50 or 100. Expensive for what it does. Wish it had a it more noise tbh but then it would probably be more annoying at motorway speeds. 

Edit : I'm waiting on an fcpeuro order that looks like it will turn up within a week. Ironically has a mickey mouse flange and hose in it. 

Edited by NZ_InFerno
  • Like 1

On 2/27/2024 at 3:35 PM, NZ_InFerno said:

Supersprint backbox. Bit louder under throttle + nicer sound. Zero drone. Not annoying at 50 or 100. Expensive for what it does. Wish it had a it more noise tbh but then it would probably be more annoying at motorway speeds. 

Ditto this for me. Supersprint backbox with resonator delete. A bit louder than stock and still no drone. If I could do it all again I probably would've tried to find an N55 135i backbox instead and probably saved a bunch of money, but I do love seeing the supersprint tips sticking out the back!

• Like 1

Keen on one of these for a daily

Question for you 130i owners, seems like a manual one commands a stupid tax.

How is the auto ?  Do all models have paddles and are they any good or should I just save for a stick ?

4 minutes ago, mmario said:

How is the auto ?  Do all models have paddles and are they any good or should I just save for a stick ?

If you want to change gears yourself,  manual is the best option. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The auto box is good for an auto.  It is quite fast.  They all come with paddles.  There are a few mods for them too.  I can't be assed with a manual for a commuter.  Especially as they are so much more expensive.

On another note.
I think I stuffed up the auto wipers on my car.  I hit the auto button and when they sense rain they just run the same intermittent timer.  They don't change with rain intensity.  Has anyone stuffed this up before and fixed it?
I was mucking around with the features turning them off and on.
It is possible it started doing this when I installed cruise control.  I used the wiper stalk that came with it and it doesn't have a rear wiper ability.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mmario said:

I was in the same boat last year. I thought about buying an auto since I could buy one for 5-6k, under 100,000kms. My problem was that I like driving manual cars and I can't afford to own a separate weekend car. I test drove a couple auto 130is but for me it wasn't enough to justify ditching my GTI with dsg box. So I waited and bought a manual 130i and I'm pretty happy with it as a daily. I do miss the dsg box when I'm stuck in traffic though. I agree with Driftit that if manual box is not a must, auto is perfectly fine as a daily.

Edited by Danch
  • Like 1

Makes ya wonder how differently the market would have responded if the DCT was ever stuck to the N52. Its there in the coding options just was never sold. 

Manual definitely suits the 130, but agree... if you are going to beat on it in stop start traffic get an auto, then buy a manual for the weekend :) I like the DSG in the skoda, it is a good compromise, but still not the same as a manual box when "not commuting" 

• Like 2

I rate these too but those are 3 series offset - would struggle to fit those under the front. 

Hey everyone. I’ve got the LCI 130 n52k, with the plastic valve cover,  getting the rocker cover gasket replaced I’m just wondering if anyone can tell me if I have the steel bolts or the aluminium bolts that will need replacing? Cheers 

15 hours ago, Irobin said:

Hey everyone. I’ve got the LCI 130 n52k, with the plastic valve cover,  getting the rocker cover gasket replaced I’m just wondering if anyone can tell me if I have the steel bolts or the aluminium bolts that will need replacing? Cheers 

The LCI plastic valve cover has the bolts you don't need to replace. They're actually captive in the cover and can't be removed (except for the two in front of the valvetronic motor but they can also be reused).

A couple of things to consider, if you haven't already. Make sure you also replace the valvetronic motor gasket is that is very prone to leaking too. While the cover is off it is also a good time to replace the eccentric shaft sensor (and gasket too) as that is prone to failure and you have to remove the valve cover to do it. Also, the crankcase breather hose is really hard to remove from the back of the valve cover and also easy to break. If you're careful, you can reuse it, I bought a replacement when I did it because if it does break you don't want to have to wait to get one.

Lastly, the plastic valve covers themselves can be prone to cracking, so there is a chance that you replace all the gaskets then find out you actually need to replace the whole cover. Also, the PCV is integral in the cover so if that fails, you also need to replace the whole cover. For this reason I replaced everything when I did. It turned it into a pretty expensive job but there's enough labour that you don't really want to have to do it twice (or more)...

• Thanks 1