Sign in to follow this  
hudfsam13

Are 130i manuals overpriced?

Hey all,

Currently have a '07 130i auto. Love the car and especially the n52, I've owned it for a year but lately been feeling that some extra 'feel' is missing when driving. So I've been looking into manual versions of the 130i and im thinking i might go test drive a few to see what they're like when lockdown is over. (would like to hear anyones opinion if they've driven both auto and manual)

The thing is, i picked my auto up last year for $8k with 95,000 kms on it, now looking into manual versions, there are a few available at the moment with 73,000kms and 87,000 kms on them for around $17,000 (both from a importer/dealership)

Is that just the standard price for manual 130's now? or is $17k wayyyyy too overpriced and im better waiting until some other manual 130s go up for sale? Just seems weird that mine is fundamentally the exact same car but i paid less than half of the price of current manuals with similar-ish kms on them?...

• Like 2

That silver one with 87km for $17,500 has been for sale at least 2.5 years - I looked at it in late 2017 before buying a GTI in January 2018 and owning it over 18 months then buying my E46 which I've had for a year now.

So yes, overpriced :)

Manuals come up reasonably regularly in the $9k to $12k range and are good buying at that money IMO.

Theres a blue one on TM for $11k with 147km - from what I've heard the N52 is a very solid motor so should handle the miles just fine.

If you like your car and it is low miles, I believe Hell BM can convert it to manual for you for a similar price to selling it and buying a manual...

Edited by Sammo
  • Like 3

They certainly are overpriced :D. There is far too much "premium" applied for manual versions. Also don't forget that that dealer price of 17k...with a bit of bob and weave you could walk out with it for 13k on a good day (last weekend/day of the month etc, dangle the possibility of finance and buying all the extra PPI guff etc)...

If I was happy with the state of my vehicle and know the history and that I've kept it well maintained, I would personally go down the manual conversion route if I intended to keep it long term. However as mentioned there are some sensibly priced ones around. 

IMHO, pretty much and of the Straight 6 BMWs are much 'more fun' in the manual versions. Personally there isn't really any comparison to a 'full manual' (not DCT!), for driving enjoyment (in the right setting!!)

If it's a daily and you're going to be grinding down on-ramps and packed motorways for 2 hours a day in traffic jams...then for me an auto is the thing. 

I'm British and manuals dominate the UK. You learn to drive manual, your first cars are almost always manual..they are everywhere, and people seemed to look down on autos and so did I until I owned an Auto 330i and the rest for my poor clutch foot in London traffic was like heaven itself :D

Edited by HalfJobHarry
extra info

Yeah i think i noticed that silver one with 87kms back when i was looking for what was to be mine last year haha

Tbh, hadn't even crossed my mind doing a manual conversion. My car seems in decent shape and im happy with the kms on it. I've just messaged Hell BM and will see what they come back with.

Thankfully I don't have to do hardly any daily/stuck in traffic driving so thats another draw to getting a manual as well :)

Appreciate the advice guys!

• Like 1

No theyre not overpriced, the example you have is an outlier though.

The manual cars are significantly rarer, and more desirable to those who want a manual 130 (so much purity!) and so they command a higher price. 

Even at 12ish k for a tidy manual 130, its good value. 

• Like 1

Just follow the 130i post in the Trademe section of the forums.

Every half decent 130i gets posted in there.
So much going on.  Accidental Purchases.  Full Trademe ad analysis'.  All sorts.  :D

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

Yes, this thread: 

Certainly the manuals you link to are overpriced, they're not worth $17k but there is good guidance above.

Here's a left field suggestion: get an ECU flash, a transmission flash, add NRW shifters and you'll have a very different experience to the one you're having now. That's how I'm riding at the moment and I'd say the experience is closer to the out-of-the-box manual experience than it is to the auto experience. Fix the suspension and add some M3 bits with a good alignment and it might be enough. Will cost a lot less than a manual or conversion as well and you can still go down that route if you want.

If you'd like to try that experience out then hit me up and you can take my black one for a drive. It's so fundamentally different to a stock auto you might be sold.

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 1

I went to look at that silver one before I bought mine. They had it advertised for $19k at the time I think, and they wouldn't even let me test drive it unless I'd committed to buying it! It was low k's but the condition didn't match the price for me. I even offered them $16k for it (which I didn't intend to go through with, but wanted to see if that would be enough to drive it at least) and they just said no. No counter offer or anything! Guess they want it as a museum piece or something...

Then I found mine with 125k on the clock, but just as good condition, and bought it for $8500. So yeah, as above, those examples at the dealers are way overpriced, but wait around and they do come up at decent prices, and I really think they are a bargain for what they are! Compare it to what people pay for Golf GTIs, and I know which one I'd rather have. I used to have a MK6 Golf R, which was a $30k car at the time, and I am much happier driving the 130!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, M3AN said:

Here's a left field suggestion: get an ECU flash, a transmission flash, add NRW shifters and you'll have a very different experience to the one you're having now. That's how I'm riding at the moment and I'd say the experience is closer to the out-of-the-box manual experience than it is to the auto experience.

Uh-oh, you haven't gone THERE have you... look out!!

• Haha 1

Its 2020, if it wants to identify as a manual, who are we to judge. 

Edited by Jacko
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Uh-oh, you haven't gone THERE have you... look out!!

No, no... just two auto's, down to one by the end of the week I hope! I've only driven two manuals, one that I understood to be stock and then @HELLBM's S62 transplant... I discarded that last one as a representative experience of 130's. ?

I think also taking the dealer sticker price as the price is a massive mistake....if you see a nice example at a dealer...go and negotiate, if you're realistic they will not usually let a buyer walk away without a deal. Also from a good dealer you can get them to do lots of tidy up bits and bobs (new battery, cut and polish) that you might need to sweeten things up. 

• Like 1

On 8/18/2020 at 7:49 PM, 3pedals said:

...some people will still pay stupid money for an old car as...

No such thing as an overpriced classic, just an early purchase that's waiting for the market to catch up.