Sign in to follow this  
gjm

N52N engine

Anything especially bad about this that I should know? Aside form teh electric water pump which should be replaced no later than every 80000 miles (125-130,000km).

The earlier N52 had issues with rings and oiling, but I think that was sorted for the 'N' engine?

Considering an E90 323i with the N52NB25 engine.

Sorted kind of but still has typical bmw engine issues. 
In saying that the n52 is a great engine regardless, I have the N52Nb25 in my 325i coupe nz new and its all good. 
a bit thirsty at around 10.5L/100km mainly open road driving which is not too different from a 3L version in terms of economy but you are well down on power.

if it has the right spec for the right price i say go for it.
Typical common bmw issues such as cooling system coils spark plugs etc which im sure you are well used to by now

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, qube said:

a bit thirsty at around 10.5L/100km mainly open road driving which is not too different from a 3L version in terms of economy but you are well down on power.

the 2.5 sounds like a south east asian special for tax reasons.

6 minutes ago, lord_jagganath said:

It reads like it is the M43 of the N52 range.

Biggest difference I can find between the 323i and 325i is the intake manifold and a remap which is worth about 20hp. Capacity is the same.

The very early N52 engines had an issue with a cam ledge seal, which chewed up the cam carrier, and required a replacement head, many got fixed under warranty. Not really "rings and oiling" thing, it shows as goofy vanos behaviour due to the high oil flow and clever pump design that supplys oil based on load. 

Waterpumps do fail, they fail between 20,000 and 250,000km ;) Its just one of those things, replacing them at xx km isnt really a thing, you might be replacing at 250,000km "rated" waterpump with a 20,000km one. Using genuine coolant is key to keeping them alive and happy, the pump is a brushless motor, the rotor is cooled/lubed/suspended in the coolant. 

Biggest difference between all the N52s is blacktop/silver tops. Blacktops are later engines, have a plastic rocker cover with built in CCV, silver tops are earlier and have magnesium rocker cover and external CCV. The magnesium ones corrode, the plastic ones crack :D. There is an old wives tail about silver tops having more power, they dont, the standards changed on BHP measurement and resulted in different numbers for the same thing. 

They all dont like idling around, and tappet noise is common with engines stuck to auto boxes that idle around in traffic. Lifters collapse and require bleeding - AKA as an italian tune up.

All will develop oil leaks. Rocker covers and sumps are common, they just all do it.

All in all, really reliable and clever engines. 

Edited by Jacko
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, lord_jagganath said:

ive seen some funny 520i long wheel base and A4 2.0 long wheel base when i was in asia.

hilarious underpowered limos 

1 hour ago, Jacko said:

All will develop oil leaks. Rocker covers and sumps are common, they just all do it.

All in all, really reliable and clever engines. 

there was this '08 X3 with a N52 that I got scared off because the seller had it at the mechanics getting the rocker cover done... was just 130k km and only 6k. dodged a bullet because X3. 

Waterpumps will start throwing codes when they are on their way out so not usually a surprise moment.

Lifters just need 3 mins at 3000rpm to bleed.

Valvetronic motors and the seal need doing at some stage (cheap and easy)

Rocket cover gaskets weep

Coil packs will die (cheap and easy)

But yeah get the 3ltr if you have the option.  Purely because the 2.5 saves you nothing bar maybe some cash up front.

I also feel you need to be pedantic with servicing.  But that should be a BMW ownership thing anway.

Edited by Driftit
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Driftit said:

Waterpumps will start throwing codes when they are on their way out so not usually a surprise moment.

Does this present as a dash displayed fault? 

1 hour ago, Driftit said:

Not always Dan

• Like 1

I wouldnt count on the car warning you for waterpump failure. Better to do it and forget for a while. If you order from fcp you get free lifetime replacement if you keep the car long enough for the new part to fail :P

• Like 1

You can never answer the question "when should I do preventative maintenance" and there's little point in replacing something that may have 100k left in it. Just make sure your insurance includes recovery, most do these days and self insure for the parts.

57 minutes ago, M3AN said:

self insure for the parts.

This is Graham we are talking about. When I helped him shift house I'm sure he had full service kits for the last 98 cars he has owned ?

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, B.M.W Ltd said:

Not always Dan

For those moments I would recommend an AA membership.  It's worth the extra handful of takeaway coffees a year.

• Like 1

Just now, Driftit said:

For those moments I would recommend an AA membership.  It's worth the extra handful of takeaway coffees a year.

All good compressive vehicle insurance these days includes recovery, no real need for AA (unless it's for vehicle insurance). 

12 minutes ago, M3AN said:

All good compressive vehicle insurance these days includes recovery, no real need for AA (unless it's for vehicle insurance). 

My AA Insurance didn't come with AA...  So I said I was going to someone else and they gave it to me for free for both roadworthy cars.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, M3AN said:

It's amazing you had to insist! ?

I actually couldn't believe it. Even the sales person found it odd. 

3 hours ago, M3AN said:

Aa is useful because it doesn't cover the car, it covers the driver. I have three cars, plus drive other cars from time to time, and it's good to know no matter what I'm driving I can be recovered without having to pay for it per car, or worry if the car I'm in that day has it. 

• Like 3