Jump to content
BM WORLD

S52b32 M3 engine

Recommended Posts

listing this on behalf of a mate 

$3000 ono 

s52b32 3.2L engine  m3 engine from a usa spec e36 m3 convertible 

bare engine 

without the intake manifold 

and with a e46 m52 sump (m50 e34 sump maybe for sale too )

 

you can think of these as  3.2L m50 single vanos engine 

cast iron block , ali single vanos head 

can tun these on m52 or m50 ecu ,loom sensors etc 

240hp std but can be tweaked to about 260hp 

call for more details 

021 433 600 

vin number in pic below on the back of the head 

 

IMG_9198.JPEG

IMG_9199.JPEG

IMG_9200.JPEG

IMG_9201.JPEG

IMG_9202.JPEG

Edited by BM WORLD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What gains would you get with a set of ITB's and an S54 airbox.   I have both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FIAT 131R said:

What gains would you get with a set of ITB's and an S54 airbox.   I have both.

hmm ,not sure 

well they get about 260hp with a m50 intake manifold so maybe 

guess in the 20hp more again  ? but maybe with cams and rev higher might see more 

google it 

Edited by BM WORLD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Likely hood this could be transplanted into 2001 528i?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, SHRNTA said:

Likely hood this could be transplanted into 2001 528i?

yes with mods

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Wazza07 said:

Fit an E46 TI?

Just use an M54B30. Similar power, near plug n play and 1/3 the price.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you put M3 Evo headers, M3 Evo full exhaust, Link ECU and bored throttle body on it you should get over 300 from it. Got 298hp/220kW/344Nm from my M50B30 with this configuration, M52B32 might get more.

If nobody wants it I'd be interested in the M Power cover!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wrs said:

If you put M3 Evo headers, M3 Evo full exhaust, Link ECU and bored throttle body on it you should get over 300 from it. Got 298hp/220kW/344Nm from my M50B30 with this configuration, M52B32 might get more.

If nobody wants it I'd be interested in the M Power cover!!

Same:: , about the only part worth having - So many myths about these motors - The US got the boat anchor block because their fuel was/ is sh*t and destroyed the nikasil coatings . Its bored and over stroked and agricultural as an engine , if Warren doesn't end up taking the cover I'm interested . 

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In a workshop not far from us sits a bored and stroked M20B25 bored and stroked to 3.1 litres and looking resplendent with a set of RHD ITB's from across the Tasman...............hmmm, the problem is no car to put it in (at the mo)😟

The M Power covers are widely available off shore guys about $300 back here last time we looked.

3pedals we think your assessment of this unit is more than a little harsh. It is an S engine and remember its torque not HP that wins races😁

Edited by Bandit
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bandit said:

 

It is an S engine and remember its torque not HP that wins races😁

Another myth - If it were true all race engines would be diesel   dynamic power delivery and getting it to the ground in a well tuned chassis pedalled by a talented pilot  is what wins races. We used to beat 6 litre v8's in a 2 litre alfa all the time - they had  nearly twice the torque we had but the alfa could get it's wheezy 150kw and 240Nm to the ground a lot more of the time. 

  And its not really an "S" engine - it's a bored 2.8 boat anchor stroked to make barely acceptable power to be worthy of putting in an "M" car . 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't realise Alpina was actually a ship manufacturer, that must explain why the motor was the basis for their E4 / E5 range of engines.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The S50B32US is the best M50 engine ever produced by BMW.

It is amazing though that it was only 240hp and the N52, with admittedly a 20 year development curve, produced an easy 260hp with 200cc less capacity.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, 3pedals said:

Another myth - If it were true all race engines would be diesel   dynamic power delivery and getting it to the ground in a well tuned chassis pedalled by a talented pilot  is what wins races. We used to beat 6 litre v8's in a 2 litre alfa all the time - they had  nearly twice the torque we had but the alfa could get it's wheezy 150kw and 240Nm to the ground a lot more of the time. 

  And its not really an "S" engine - it's a bored 2.8 boat anchor stroked to make barely acceptable power to be worthy of putting in an "M" car . 

I think the entry point into this is "almost" sensible and as we have suggested a set of ITBs, linkages and complete with the lovely carbon fibre air box RHD produce it would produce the goods and a torque curve to match, after a spot of remapping. Its a good chance for someone to build a reliable engine at reasonable cost. Our American cousins love them, especially with FI now that's another ball game 3pedals........😉

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, M3AN said:

The S50B32US is the best M50 engine ever produced by BMW.

It is amazing though that it was only 240hp and the N52, with admittedly a 20 year development curve, produced an easy 260hp with 200cc less capacity.

Yeah, my 25 year old single vanos 2.8 M52  with no internal work was last dyno'd at 168kW and 305Nm , with the same Individual throttle body addition it should see another 12kW  to 15kW acording to Rama at RHD  so 180kW+ .   Clearly the cast iron boat anchor that weighs 40kg more and is 400cc bigger in capacity is a superior engine - Superior in holding power for a boat. 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, 3pedals said:

Yeah, my 25 year old single vanos 2.8 M52  with no internal work was last dyno'd at 168kW and 305Nm , with the same Individual throttle body addition it should see another 12kW  to 15kW acording to Rama at RHD  so 180kW+ .   Clearly the cast iron boat anchor that weighs 40kg more and is 400cc bigger in capacity is a superior engine - Superior in holding power for a boat. 

At the risk of appearing a pedant, wiki motors reveals the weight of the engines we are discussing as being: S52B32 141 kg,  M52B28 163kg and the common garden variety M54B30 as 163kg.

We have left a hair on the table 3pedals.😉

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, 3pedals said:

...with the same Individual throttle body addition...

The S50B32US didn't have ITB's, I have misinterpreted your post if that's not what you were referring to. But another good example of why it's inferior to the proper S50.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, M3AN said:

The S50B32US didn't have ITB's, I have misinterpreted your post if that's not what you were referring to. But another good example of why it's inferior to the proper S50.

Really Dave read what's posted I'm suggesting here that with a nice set of ITBs and a Carbon fibre airbox as produced by RHD in our own back yard this engine is surely worthy of consideration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So much arguing over an engine none of you are buying. Typical 3Pedals rubbish,  good to see you never change.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ITB's won't fit this engine without an adapter plate and the adapters aren't cheap...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bandit said:

At the risk of appearing a pedant, wiki motors reveals the weight of the engines we are discussing as being: S52B32 141 kg,  M52B28 163kg and the common garden variety M54B30 as 163kg.

We have left a hair on the table 3pedals.😉

That would depend on which version of the B28 they refer to,  the alloy one or the cast Iron one and in what trim the motors are  in ?

M52 B28 alloy is generally listed as 141 kg and the cast iron version in the same trim supposedly 173kg - the US versions have some extra sh*t on them above this, which generally makes them heavier again so about 40kg difference.  

And Warren the RHD throttle bodies should fit straight on because its essentially  an M52 B28 head, single vanos with a single throttle body - Real M3 I -throttle bodies won't and they are a bad match anyway. 

 Who's arguing - we are just having a bit of fun. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2021 at 1:47 PM, 3pedals said:

And Warren the RHD throttle bodies should fit straight on because its essentially  an M52 B28 head, single vanos with a single throttle body - Real M3 I -throttle bodies won't and they are a bad match anyway.

Didn't know that - at least I learned one thing today 🙂

Just looked them up - nice but $1800 AUD!!!

Edited by wrs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually they are $1800 US dollars - there is a reference on the site somewhere to pricing being in $U.S 

 Have a set in the garage, will be a winter project as they neeed a polish before they go on and I need a re mapped ECU 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...