Sign in to follow this  
Michael.

E34 540i Restoration

One of the best restorations on here. The attention to detail etc. was as good as M539 (Sreton).

What a shame. Is he documenting the resto elsewhere? Wondering if it’s back on the road now.

The heated debates make for good entertainment if I’m being honest 😅 Hot take but, #bringbackthefirstlockdownthread 👀😂

Bit stink about the admin/decade long friendship part. Hope there’s some sort of resolution to it.

• Like 1

To be honest, having been on here for a while, this forum has gradually turned into a cesspool of highly opinionated "senior" members who have become far too comfortable and happily spread their drivel. Im guilty of it at times, but im mostly guilty of calling people out for their rubbish (and have been disciplined accordingly).

I can understand why Michael left in that case, and I would too, if there were any better local BMW forums.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Twistee said:

@Kees

Having been an admin for years on another car forum I learnt that you can't please everyone all the time and everyone has an opinion. Like others I ended up on here as I was looking for a great local community before I committed to buying the dad wagon, I can see merit in both sides of this story. I would hasten to add that we shouldn't point fingers here, Mike while obviously very experienced had quite staunch views that would on occasion be released like a 2x4 to the head. One of the things that gave me the confidence to move into BMW ownership was the supportive environment offered by Bimmersport members, we don't have to agree on everything but there is a basic level of respect we have for others that shouldn't result in admin being put into a position like this and a long time member leaving. Guaranteed that no one has won out of this, the community has lost a valuable resource and like everything that becomes political people start to question the leadership - don't forget that the majority of car forums / clubs are run by people volunteering their time and resources - it can be a thankless job.

Yeah I completely understand that, I’m an admin of a couple BMW pages and occasionally a call is made that is not well received by both parties involved. Seeing as Bimmersport is almost as old as I am, I grew up going on forums like Bimmersport waiting for the day when I could a) drive and b) have a car enthusiast enough to post on a forum. By the time I got my 540 I was grateful Bimmersport still existed, being one of the few forums left with an active enthusiast presence. Personally I really enjoy posting on Bimmersport as it’s one of the few places left where proper car enthusiasts reside, with places like Facebook groups now being largely saturated by people who wouldn’t even be able to tell you the difference between e90 and e91.

I wasn’t trying to bag Bimmersport and it’s leadership as I am rather fond of this platform, I just thought it best to rip the band aid off and explain why Mike isn’t here (which was basically done in Mike’s words from what he told me, apart from the third person tense lol) anymore as it seems quite a few people were curious as to his sudden departure and it would close off any speculation confusion etc. 

• Like 1

On 3/25/2022 at 4:54 PM, Kees said:

Mike found his once thought of friend Martin aka "breakmywindow" for ~10 years was stealth deleting Mike's personal opinion posts he didn't like on the forum, after this realisation Mike decided it was time to finally stop posting on bimmersport after being tired of the "soft" direction he felt it was going. He called Martin out on his pretty abuse of admin privileges to which Martin responded with personal insults and then proceeded to tell Mike to "go f**k himself". Martin then blocked Mike on Facebook before he could even reply. So that's Mike's reasoning for leaving Bimmersport. 

I'd expect a permanent ban for that sort of behavior, but I've had worse for saying a decision (by a pom) was sh..

It's not who you are, but who you blow around here.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2022 at 4:54 PM, Kees said:

Mike found his once thought of friend Martin aka "breakmywindow" for ~10 years was stealth deleting Mike's personal opinion posts he didn't like on the forum, after this realisation Mike decided it was time to finally stop posting on bimmersport after being tired of the "soft" direction he felt it was going. He called Martin out on his pretty abuse of admin privileges to which Martin responded with personal insults and then proceeded to tell Mike to "go f**k himself". Martin then blocked Mike on Facebook before he could even reply. So that's Mike's reasoning for leaving Bimmersport. 

There’s always two sides to every story, and that’s one side. 
The other side of the story reads quite differently, but no point re-hashing that now.

And as the saying goes “the truth is somewhere in the middle”.

As someone said above there are no winners in all off this.

• Like 1

You fellas need a beer. Atleast it's not the vintage British car community, they're all dead, except me😉

• Thanks 1