Sign in to follow this  
bravo

Fog Lamps on during the day

This comes up quite often on here. Every time either myself or someone else reaches for their handy copy of the WOF regulations and patiently copies it into the post. Here is a cut and paste from an article written by the AA on the issue.

I blatantly ignore this law and run my fogs on with my headlamps. Rear fogs however are the devil - I followed a friends e30 with them on for some distance and was tempted to rear end him to put the bright littel buggers out. I am not as offended by fog lamps during the day or night, so no problem morally there for me.

And in case you are wondering the lamps on e30's at least are fog lamps not driving lights.

THE RIGHT LIGHTS

Are you foggy over how to light your way? Some motorists use fog lights in all weather to make their vehicle more visible.

However, it’s illegal to use fog lamps in clear weather, day or night. Land Transport NZ claims fog lamps can dazzle or confuse other road users, especially when used at night in conjunction with headlamps. Rear fog lamps are reportedly indistinguishable from brake lights, also causing confusion. Statistics suggest that problems with vehicle lighting contribute to around seven deaths and 88 injuries in New Zealand every year.

The AA met with the Police to agree on an enforcement strategy whereby motorists using fog lamps incorrectly will be reminded which lights can be used.

We encourage motorists to check whether their car is fitted with fog lamps and, if so, to refrain from using them other than in fog.

If you do wish to operate lights during the day, try your headlamps (on low beam) or have dedicated daytime running lamps fitted.

Daytime running lamps must be wired in such a way that they switch off when headlamps are switched on. If you have auxiliary lamps fitted which don’t turn off when the headlamps come on, they are deemed to be fog lamps.

Edited by bravomikewhiskey

Guest Spargo

E30 "fogs" have cutoffs and thus are defined as "driving lights" seeing as they don't dazzle the oncoming traffic, I thought?

But this brings up the argument of having more than 4 lights on at a time, 4 being the maxiumum, E30's being able to have 6 on at once.

When your headlights are off, so are your fogs, they don't come on unless the headlights are on, therefore they are fogs.

The total number of lamps is not specified - only the maximum number of each type. You can have two dipped beam, two main beam, two fog, two running, two cornering (different to indicators) two "position indicator lamps" making a total 10 forward facing white lamps if you want EXCEPT that the running lamps cannot be on while the headlights are on and the fogs can not be used in clear day or night conditions.

The only time I ever have trouble with dazzling lights is when the road surface is wet and reflective, other than that, the law is rather anal

Curiously, if you took the bulbs out of the park lights, could you then argue a different story? (esp. considering that you can still enable a left or right side parking light using the indicator stalk)

I did do this for a while so that when the driving lights were on they were the only forward facing lights - but it was only cause I had one blown bulb that it looked stupid.

Edited by Carl

Rear fogs at night, esp in the rain, are a pain in the arse and anyone who uses them all the time is a complete f**king moron. I often wish I had a hammer handy. Fronts make sod all difference unless they are horrendously misaligned and I agree with Carl there, the law is anal, but where isn't it with regards to traffic regulations. Remember, it's the Helengrad lowest common denominator theory we're heading for. . .

"e30 fog lights look cool when they are on. the 2 round headlights on their own look silly"

this i feel is most peoples reasoning for using them.

Never turn my fogs on these days, DDE's (angeleyes) ftw .. they fall under park lights :D

<soap box mode>

I fcuking hate fog lights on during the day. There is no need for it and all they do is dazzle other drivers. Anyone who has them on is obviously compensating for having a small.....

As for having the rears on, there is just no excuse. I have seriously considered bodily harm to those who are driving around with them on and then give me the fingers when I point out they are blinding everyone.

Maybe Im getting old but I passed that 'I have them on to look cool' phase years ago.

Have more consideration for others on the road and turn the fecking things off. Unless of course the fog is horrible and you cant see a thing ;-)

</soap box mode>

Edited by martyyn

around town I agree with you martyyn, but open road I always put my lights on

especially on a sunny day on a long straight sometimes the haze off the road

makes it harder to spot oncoming traffic if you want to overtake

as I'm a complete nana overtaking (I'm not married and still have a wish to live)

I appreciate other ppl having their lights on, I

see this as safety, I like to be seen.

I don't use my lights as a cosmetic thing

and its pretty hard to get dazzled by someones headlights in the day

so I can't really see what the problem with lights on in the day is all about

i dont really mind during the day its the commodes and 4wd's at night that piss me off....and rear fogs!

Cars with Foglights that dazzel people should not be on the road.

I mean to pass a WOF, all lights should be adjusted so that they avoid dazzeling people.

I had to adjust my foglights because it would not pass a WOF. I dont see why people should have to drive with their lights off during the day because of this issue. I like to be seen as much as possible.

When on open road driving, i drive with my fogs on. Because I kow that they have been correctly adjusted to WOF standards. People who get easily dazzeled by lights should not be driving at all. Means that their eye sight should be checked and their licence put in question.

When bright lights from another road user coming the other way, you should look to the other side of the road. Not look at them. Thats what the road code says.

not having fogs in is good..but i like having lights on during the day as my car is black...for some reason people often just dont see sh*t...id rather dazzle a few and be seen than not be seen at all

i do it cos it look cool, meh. oh and i think its safer..

I'm with Martyyn on this one,

Nothing worse than fog lights on wet days etc. Not so bad in the car , but on a motorcycle with your visor down the fogs are a real pain.

Even worse when someone is following you , you can hardly make out the road in front from the glare behind , they are perfect for filling the mirrors with light

If anyone would like to understand this better , then I'll lend you a helment and stick you on the back of the bike. Hopefully I'll be able to stay on the road and won't kill you.

As for people having the rear ones on , I've always thought they have too smaller IQ to drive a car ....

Fog lights are for fog , not some kind of "bling" to make you look more cool. Use them like they do in the UK..... for fog.

most euro cars [VW's] have 1 rear fog & 1 reverser, these dipshits are oblivious to their surroundings! They drive arround with their fogs on, giving following drivers a good look at their 60w taillight

Personally I think aftermarket fogs belong in the bin, along with external sunvisers,running boards,CB/RT aerials,& mudflap with reflectors

Why use fogs when you can use 130w bulbs [they look much cleaner]

I must admit to using my front fog lights in the past on the run. I agree that they are fog lights and should be used in poor visibility conditions. The rears are the worst. I don't think mose people realise that they are the same wattage as the headlight, so drive around with them on. People this ignorant, shouldn't be allowed on the road.

I do drive with my headlights on during the day, so other people see my grey car on the road. Do some driving in the Australian Outback (or somewhere similar) and you will appreciate this courtesy.

Conversely, I had had the misfortune of having to do a few trips to the Waikato in the last week, and strike the obligatory fog. The amount of people who are driving without lights on amazes me.

Conversely, I had had the misfortune of having to do a few trips to the Waikato in the last week, and strike the obligatory fog. The amount of people who are driving without lights on amazes me.

We are all hard arse down here. And trust me, it was our mispleasure having your car polute our roads im sure ;)

Interesting discussion.

I thought that a true fog light is less likely to dazzle than a headlight. The highlight is designed for long range "punch" whereas the fog light is highly lens'ed to give a broad very short range light. Get in fog and you will find that your headlights will probably have 500m range and you get blinded by the reflected light (hence driving on sidelights in the fog you "see" more). Run in the same conditions in with fog lights and while your light range is probably between only 50-150M you can actually see. Couple with the fact that generally the factory fitted ones are mounted low to prevent dazzling the driver, a foglight should be no less offensive than a daytime running light.

However a number of the aftermarket lights and some of the Aussie low lights have no lens, so they are more like a "driving" light and hence will dazzle oncoming cars.

As a side comment, I dont recall ever being blinded by factory fitted foglights.

I've been blinded by towing/loaded SUVs Foglights, but I've also been on the other side of that. The softly sprung 4WDs have a tendancy to sag in the ass once you full them with all the crap require to go rallying, and the rally car on the hook (not my setup), as a result at night you spend the entire time "spotlighting possums", the foglights actually give you some vision (unfortunately like any mal-adjusted light, its fustrating for other road users).

The worst setup is the "boy racer" Kamakooza brand 55/100W no lens lights, or the SUV aftermarket lights that have never really been adjusted in their life.

When we were doing a tour of Oz a few years ago, (we were using Rental Mustangs,Volvo C70 Convertibles and BMW Z3s) the Mustang guys run foul of the NSW Police for running the Fogs and the Headlights together.

The Police didnt really like the combined response, which was ...this is a rental sold new in Australia, if the law says its illegal to have the fog lights and the headlights on together, why does the car have this capability, after all it must have a current roadworthy and ADR compliance.

Cop gave up in the end.......

Edited by rxsumo

i must admit i've left my rear fogs on without realising it, it's quite easy to do.

i only use them for reversing in a dark area at night because there seldom is fog to use them in.

people who use any lights on a perfectly well lit day are just wasting that little bit of power it takes to run them. (little bit)

people who use any lights on a perfectly well lit day are just wasting that little bit of power it takes to run them. (little bit)

Disagree completely. IMO it is stupid to drive on the open road at any time without headlights on. So much more visible at a distance. I Forget the number of times I have seen a more distant car with lights on before noticing a closer car without lights on.

Disagree completely. IMO it is stupid to drive on the open road at any time without headlights on. So much more visible at a distance. I Forget the number of times I have seen a more distant car with lights on before noticing a closer car without lights on.

Especially Blue/Green/brown cars in clear conditions, and silver and white cars in foggy/misty condition.

No doubt by checking Volvo's website somewhere will give you the stats on the reduction of open road accidents by driving with your lights on during the day.

Ive never understood this fog lamp law. Ive now had fog lights in two cars Ive owned.

My crx which had 21W indicator bulbs in the fog lamps which even if you stuck your head right in front of them arnt gonna dazzle you. Its about as effective an argument as their indicator dazzled me and I couldnt see therefore I drove into them.

And My E30 where theyre mounted that low they constantly get hit by stones etc, they would have to be particularly bright or misaligned to dazzle anyone, neither of which they are. When Ive got a black car shouldnt it be a good idea to make my car as visible as I can.

Note: I never use the fog lamps during the day and dont use the rear one at all I just feel it shouldnt be against the law to do so if I want to

Edited by Bullitt

Once i took my dads old company car, ford escape, in to

town to pick some indian. Whilst waiting in the car a cop

came up to my window and told me if i drive off with those

fog lights on i'll get a $400 fine, i didn't even know they

were on. Seems like bullsh!t law to me. but maybe he

was just picking on me because i'm young.

Edited by antony