Sign in to follow this  
Sammo

F31 320d - solid cars?

Through some kind of miracle I’ve managed to convince the wife to offload her Audi A5 for a wagon.

Thinking an Msport F31 320d as a great all-rounder?

Most do seem to have 100-120kms - a little wear and tear isn’t a biggie as she does not tend to pamper her cars like I do 😂

Any red flags or tips with these? I know they won’t go and sound like a 335i but I imagine the 8 speed and the low down torque will make for very solid real world performance.

Does a similar X3 offer anything aside from weight and complexity?

Sadly it has to be black 😑

• Like 2

They are solid. certainly better than that Audi she has at the moment 😜

PFL has N47 engine - some stories of timing chain problems so get one with reasonable history. factory intervals are 2 yrs / 33k km - a bit longer than I'm comfortable with. The Jap import ones are all RWD, NZ new 320d's all Xdrive so potentially issues with transfer box around that mileage. Japanese ones virtually all have alcantara interior and rear PDC only so if you want leather it would need to be NZ new or ex-UK. X3 is also sound but worse fuel economy and not as nice to drive. The F3x platform is markedly better for ride quality than the E9x but steering feel is average at best

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

@balancerider haha - its a low bar but yes, a quick search does not reveal too many issues with these.

No issue with the 2WD / Alcantara, doubt electric steering will be an issue for her / when I pootle in it - presume it has variable weight / settings.

Edit: FFS RUC is $76 per 1000km?

Car would do 15k or so a year, maybe a 320i would do

Edited by Sammo
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Sammo said:

Edit: FFS RUC is $76 per 1000km?

$80 I believe, but should be $54 if you buy between late April and late July.

The steering is very heavy in sport. I believe you can adjust this

• Thanks 1

@Sammo we have also been considering swapping out dads F20 116i for a F31 320i or 320d wagon but at around 20k it seems like a bit much for what is now a 10 year old car. I think the prices will drop further to around 15k. I have seen some quick sales around 16-18k but plenty still being listed for 20-25k.

All of them seem to be around 100k kms so expect a lot of gasket leaks and potentially annoying/costly repairs on top of the purchase price. I would be happier to find one with 130+kms and more work done but nothing much available on the market.

Plenty of things to go wrong in cooling system, suspension, bushes, etc in typical BMW fashion. Timing chain issues are definitely something to keep in mind with both the petrol and diesel engines on these so service history and listening to the engine sound will be very key to finding one that is hopefully not going to cause drama. Frequent oil changes are a must.

The petrol version will be fine but the diesel with much higher torque would be nice. I think if doing short trips then petrol probably the safer option, diesel if more open road long distance driving which will make up for the RUC too. 

Electric steering is fine IMO. It doesnt offer the same feedback as traditional steering but for what it is, it is easy to drive, and in sport mode offers slightly more weighted feeling which is good enough for a 2L wagon.

Im a big fan of the F25 X3 but imo must be M Sport otherwise it wobbles around like a boat on corners. Decent prices on these but exactly the same issues as above. Just comes down to preference on wagon/suv.

(you should have convinced the wife to buy my M135, I basically had to give it away 😢)

• Like 3

@qube yeah, Looking at low 20s for 2015 and just over 100km.

10 year old platform but they did make them up until 2019 so feels fresh enough.

Would have to be Msport of course - seems sedans are cheaper.

Might try an F25 as well.

Not sure if any other similar options under $25k.

M135i I’m sure could be sold if she drove one but cargo space and fuel economy are motivating factors.

Edited by Sammo

Wouldnt underestimate cargo space in an F20 and 8.7l/100km or 11.5km/l is damn solid imo for a 3L turbo. Not much worse than a 2L petrol imo. anyway car is sold now so..

anyway big fan of the f31 but just pricing is a bit up there for what it is

• Like 1

Took one for a drive today, impressed with the Msport Alcantara interior and drive.

loads of space too.

Diesel was more refined than expected and plenty of poke low down for general driving. 

Very good ride too with the 18” run flats.

Going to have a think and see if can do a deal, 120km but not sure it’s worth paying another $4-5k for meaningfully lower km on what will be a workhorse.

• Like 1

On 4/2/2022 at 9:56 AM, qube said:

Im a big fan of the F25 X3 but imo must be M Sport otherwise it wobbles around like a boat on corners. Decent prices on these but exactly the same issues as above. Just comes down to preference on wagon/suv.

@qube suspension even more likely to be dead at 100k km on an f25. 1820kg for a 20d model...

1 hour ago, balancerider said:

@qube suspension even more likely to be dead at 100k km on an f25. 1820kg for a 20d model...

Didn't bother looking at the X3 in the end, wife didn't like the looks (Black MSport) and the interior felt half a generation behind the F31.

Will check out a few more next weekend - hoping (Msport Jap import) these don't have electronic shocks? The Audi ones were insanely expensive.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2022 at 9:32 PM, balancerider said:

$80 I believe, but should be $54 if you buy between late April and late July.

The steering is very heavy in sport. I believe you can adjust this

$76. Plus $4 admin charge for the online transaction. Should be under $50 by end of month. If she’s going to use it for running around town, you might be better off to go petrol unless you commit to a monthly “hot” run.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Palazzo said:

$76. Plus $4 admin charge for the online transaction. Should be under $50 by end of month. If she’s going to use it for running around town, you might be better off to go petrol unless you commit to a monthly “hot” run.

Will have mixed usage - her commute is 30-40mins with traffic and will go out on an open road run pretty much weekly (horse riding) and be our ‘road trip’ car.

Cost wise should still be a bit cheaper than petrol but the extra 100nm is probably more welcome.

2 hours ago, Sammo said:

Will check out a few more next weekend - hoping (Msport Jap import) these don't have electronic shocks?

Adaptive is a rare option - mine has them (UK import) but none of the others that I looked at did. Can always VIN decode (bimmer.work is probably the most accurate IMO)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GorGasm said:

320i or 328i FTW.

Would be all over a 328i I could find a Black MSport Wagon at all / for $25k.

Might as well try a 320i but I imagine it won’t feel as punchy in the ‘real world’.

^ that is correct, for torque, the 320d is excellent. I would also hazard it is actually good in traffic too, if you do not like stop start. 30-40 minutes is more than enough to get the engine to operating temps. 

• Like 1

Is M Performance a trim level or just a few extra cosmetic bits on top of Msport - trying to open her horizons to a white wagon (no doubt I will be charge of grooming) and I love the panoramic roof (unless they come with issues?):

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/320d/listing/3515579237?bof=6xkbZ74s

• Like 1

That one is nice @Sammo - MPerformance is dealer fit trim only (sill stickers, reasonably impractical front splitter and someone's changed the splash screen on the cluster) - has been in NZ virtually all its life. OEM towbar is a nice selling point. Think the front PDC is aftermarket. 

• Like 3

I love these wagons. That timing chain issue looks hectic, I looked up a DIY and the first minute was like “drop the trans to get access” ummm what!? Lolz 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, adro said:

I love these wagons. That timing chain issue looks hectic, I looked up a DIY and the first minute was like “drop the trans to get access” ummm what!? Lolz 

Seems like a biggie for sure but less common with the F30 N47s - will be either checking the service history / interval and getting checked out and/or picking up a warranty.

White is much much easier to clean than black and takes a bit longer to look dirty.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sammo said:

Is M Performance a trim level or just a few extra cosmetic bits on top of Msport 

There was an NZ local “Performance Edition” on F30 and IIRC F31 for a while, included a number of option upgrades plus the M Performance exterior dress up parts.

The TradeMe one is an import though so probably just had the exterior parts added. NZ new would be xDrive and most likely have leather upholstery.

• Like 2

On 4/1/2022 at 9:03 PM, balancerider said:

p import ones are all RWD, NZ

16 hours ago, Sammo said:

Is M Performance a trim level or just a few extra cosmetic bits on top of Msport - trying to open her horizons to a white wagon (no doubt I will be charge of grooming) and I love the panoramic roof (unless they come with issues?):

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/320d/listing/3515579237?bof=6xkbZ74s

this thing is a beaut! I would be all over it! I just bought a m sport e90 320d because I'm a cheap ass though hahah

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, BMTHUG said:

this thing is a beaut! I would be all over it! I just bought a m sport e90 320d because I'm a cheap ass though hahah

Yeah, looks pretty good - been in NZ most it’s life with dealer servicing - if you’re still in AKL, do you do pre purchase inspections?

• Like 1