Sign in to follow this  
Twistee

E61 M5 for sale again

Might be the one discussed here? It's a shame Trademe won't load the auction photos but I remember it being a black E61 M5, surely it would be the only black one? 

I think it is, has the nasty NZ spec towbar, but it looks like it has been tidied up a bit since it was last listed, I remember the front bumper being pretty rough.

2 hours ago, aja540i said:

... looks like it has been tidied up a bit...

Is that a euphemism for "despite being older and more used, the price has gone up" ?

Have to admit, this is very tempting… is rust an issue with it being a UK import?

• Haha 1

Not really on an E61, I would just have the ABS pump checked for corrosion as it lives behind the wheel well. Any good PPI would pick up rust issues if it was present. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, treone said:

Have to admit, this is very tempting… is rust an issue with it being a UK import?

Mines a UK import and 99% rust free, I put it up on a hoist and checked it before handing over any money!

The 1% is from stone chips incurred locally!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

+1 on very very tempting. 

Would be keen to hear from you two owners if using this kind of car for a 50km return commute on 100kph open highway each day would be wise / not wise? Don't really care about fuel costs, but would that sort of trip be enough to get things nice and hot to keep the car happy?

That is basically my commute and I use the M5 once a week to keep everything working, it is more than enough to get everything up to temp and keep the battery topped up, but I can't  justify the horrendous fuel bill for doing it every day! I also didn't want to get sick of the M5, and driving it to work everyday is a good way to make that happen with any car!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Neil McCauley said:

+1 on very very tempting. 

Would be keen to hear from you two owners if using this kind of car for a 50km return commute on 100kph open highway each day would be wise / not wise? Don't really care about fuel costs, but would that sort of trip be enough to get things nice and hot to keep the car happy?

I understand it’ll average somewhere between 15-18l/100k in that sort of use. So 400k out of a 68L / $170ish fill every 10 days. That’s gonna get old fast IMO

• Like 1

On 1/9/2023 at 11:38 PM, Twistee said:

Might be wrong, but isn't this the touring that was for sale for ages and finally sold about 6 months ago?

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/m5/listing/3943578604

Not sure if it is the same one. Don’t think the other black one had a sunroof? Also this one has been on 6 different plates since arrival and is now running a beautiful set of Goodrides to put down the 400kW. I love the idea but I think I’ll pass on this one

EDIT: it’s definitely not the same one, I remember now that one had a hitch receiver towbar

Edited by balancerider
  • Sad 1

On 1/9/2023 at 11:38 PM, Twistee said:

Might be wrong, but isn't this the touring that was for sale for ages and finally sold about 6 months ago?

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/m5/listing/3943578604

I was saying to the wife only the other day how much the E61 shape was growing on me, and then this appears on TM. Must be fate 🥳

5 hours ago, balancerider said:

I understand it’ll average somewhere between 15-18l/100k in that sort of use. So 400k out of a 68L / $170ish fill every 10 days. That’s gonna get old fast IMO

If you drive it like an M5 it will sit at the high end of that range, if you spend all your time trying to drive it frugally you have missed the point and should have got a nice 530i....

• Haha 2

@aja540i sums up my conflicted feelings on this car. Awesome engine but just doesn’t suit the kind of utility I would expect from a wagon (due to the combination of thirst and small fuel tank)

7 hours ago, balancerider said:

I understand it’ll average somewhere between 15-18l/100k in that sort of use. So 400k out of a 68L

Lol my V10 S8 would do a similar 450km (500 if you were lucky) out of 90L. To be fair, that was probably due to my large lack of self control with the accelerator pedal. I'm sure long distance the torque from a V10 would make economy a bit more reasonable if you were sensible. 

2 hours ago, aja540i said:

That’s gonna get old fast IMO

Can confirm this statement is extremely accurate. 

7 hours ago, balancerider said:

EDIT: it’s definitely not the same one, I remember now that one had a hitch receiver towbar

Quite so.

1556511288.jpg

I don't have much to add here other than to state the obvious, if fuel consumption is even vaguely on your radar then go and by a Mazda 3. If you want an E61 M5 then buy it, accept that you will spend eye watering amounts not just on gas for the experience but it will be worth it. I drive mine all the time, and I never get tired of looking at it either.

If this car does end up in the club it would be nice to get a photoshoot with the three tourings.

Edited by Twistee
  • Thanks 2