jon dee

Is this gas usage even possible ?

Went for a round trip drive of 350km in the 335i the other day. Filled up on leaving and out of curiosity filled up again when I returned. Trip was pretty much all flat land with only a couple of top gear motorway hills. Cruised mainly around 110-115km/h... was a nice drive on a fine day :)

So when I ran the numbers it worked out at 7.96 litres/100km or 35.49 mpg (imp) in the old money !!! Is this a believable number for usage ??

Cheers...

Edited by jon dee
Old age :(
  • Like 2

I did a trip alone in our old E39 525i (manual) and it got to 7l/100 km, with some very "sensible" driving, Whangarei to Warkworth... wich is not really flay, straight or economical.

On a trip up north from Whangarei to Kawakawa with the family of 5 on board (also, not really optimal for economy), it was on about 8.5L/100 km but once we were there,  I realised I was getting a(nother) kidney stone... the urgent trip home (some of which was following an E46 M3, passing everything in front of me!) managed to get the average up to 12L/100km and it took MUCH less time than the trip up 🤣🤣🤫I dumped the family at home and drove to the hospital, so I could get loaded on morphine😁.

Yes, my 535i gets into the 7's on the open flat road.  The N55 is actually quite frugal probably beating the N52 in day to day driving.

10 hours ago, jon dee said:

7.96 litres/100km or 35.49 mpg

Thats pretty impressive!

Hmmm, a 535i GT could be a viable replacement to take over long distance travel duties... 🤣

Edited by treone

yea my 08 335i much the same on a trip 

i find most 6cyl 3 series bmw models  are all about the same on a trip

e46 e90 e36 etc 320i 325i 328i 323i 330i 335i even e36 e46 m3 will do that 

2 hours ago, treone said:

Thats pretty impressive!

Hmmm, a 535i GT could be a viable replacement to take over long distance travel duties... 🤣

Yeah... I wasn't expecting anything like that. Part of the reason was that most of the reviews on the internet originate in the US. Their MPG figures are based on the smaller US gallon, and specified driving loops that include a range of driving conditions. Mid twenties seems to be considered pretty good over there. Here my 1500cc runabout averages around 39 MPG on mainly city driving, so I was surprised/impressed that a 3-litre could achieve 35 MPG at highway speeds.

Not complaining given the price of gas :D

It seems unlikely that this amount of gas usage is possible. I suggest double checking all of your gas appliances and meters to make sure that nothing is malfunctioning or being misread.

• Haha 1

I don’t get what are you guys complaining about? That is better than our Cayenne when we had it, V8 is about 4km/l, your cars are 2x more efficient. I think if I don’t step on pedal on my Nissan Skyline before and not spool the turbo I get similar mileage, 6-8km/l…. They said the BMW S85 engine has the worse mileage, I think they are right. 2.5km/l. At the current 95/98 price that’s about $1 per km 🤣

IMG_3710_Original.jpeg

I got 7l/100km on a 246km round trip with cruise set at 115. Could have reined it into high 6s.

Jun, yours is like my old G6E Turbo, round town was 5.5km/litre or slightly worse.

1989 Mercedes 500SE.

8.5km per litre, almost regardless of how it is driven. Almost... Some spirited excursions can see it drop considerably.

Never going to be as bad as my old Jensen though. Got that down to well below 2mpg. About 0.76km per litre. 🤣

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Palazzo said:

Jun, yours is like my old G6E Turbo, round town was 5.5km/litre or slightly worse.

I think you are a bit generous.  2.5km/l is about 40liters/100km (or 5.88 mpg) that is 2x worse than 5.5km/liter.  I hardly use the M5 in town, the SMG is super crap in slow traffic.

We have to look at the positive side, I have racked about $7,000 in AA fuel points in the last few years.  Now that we sold the Cayenne and Skyline, the M5 is still raking up fuel points even with minimal usage.  All those points are being converted to ChargeNet credits which don’t expire, unlike AA Fuel points is just 30 days.  I can’t even fully use all the credits, ChargeNet owes me about $100 of electricity and it keeps on gong up…. 😅

I was referring to the Cayenne. Should have been clearer.

• Haha 1