Looks nice. I drove one when near new and it was epic. If you buy one with all the big-ticket  expenses looked after, what’s not to like? 

• Like 2

If you do your due diligence, it checks out and feels right to you - then why not? I did 😎

You’re familiar with the e60/61 series but the m5 is just next level!

• Like 2

Looks well sorted, price is reasonable and that's the best colour :) 

Just budget ~$7K for rod bearings.

Love mine and need to drive it more 🤷‍♂️ 

• Like 2

There's been some very nice examples sell quickly recently, that Indianapolis one was a peach. The white one in Manukau with all the big ticket items done already would be good buying, but not really the best colour for the E60 shape... If you can get along with 2-doors and slightly more challenging looks, this facelift M6 might be the ticket? Epic spec sheet, and with all the updates the S85 received over the years. Probably the best exhaust for them on it as well, with the Meisterschaft pipes. 

• Like 1

Question. If you do the rod bearings on one of these, are we one and done with improved bearings (?), or a recurring problem? And if recurring, how often?

• Like 1

^^ Great q - would like to know this as well!

The issue basically boils down to the bearing tolerances being too tight from factory, and with the S65/S85 being motors that can generate fairly high BMEP, you run into issues with actually getting the oil in there in the first place - the dual oil pumps and oil specified were never the issue, but the length of service interval probably didn't help matters.

The issue wasn't helped with certain bearing materials being unable to be used by manufacturers due to environmental factors / legislation, so the factory bearings were inferior from the get-go. You don't run into this issue with aftermarket as they're more free to use whatever materials they like. 

4 hours ago, Palazzo said:

Question. If you do the rod bearings on one of these, are we one and done with improved bearings (?), or a recurring problem? And if recurring, how often?

I can let you know in about 80,000 Km when i check mine again! I used "upgraded" bearings from BE.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, aja540i said:

I can let you know in about 80,000 Km when i check mine again! I used "upgraded" bearings from BE.

But you drive like a nana, right??? 🤣🤣🤣

8 hours ago, Allanw said:

But you drive like a nana, right??? 🤣🤣🤣

Unless I'm in the Leaf,,,

• Haha 2

Jon Begley who replaced my bearings at around 140KM with a genuine BMW set said the new bearings had increased tolerances compared to the originals - which was a relief!!! Some cars seem to need bearing done at 60+KM while others like mine can be fine for twice that distance or longer... Most owners don't do huge KMs so it's unlikely you'll need to do it again...

On 7/17/2023 at 7:24 PM, Palazzo said:

No real hard data on this, Jon did ours after he did Pete’s car. Ours was 61k kms, insurance paid most of it (long story). I have only added 7k kms for 2 years. At this rate I will be too old before the next rod bearings. I think just do it in your ownership if you plan to keep it, as well as other items. It’s kinda part of the ownership as i would take it.

• Like 1

Looks like MAHLE is making improved bearings. Probably worth looking at, hopefully not a marketing deal.