rod_r

Leather vs Cloth

I’ve just started to look for an E30 and wondering how much importance you’d place on a leather interior.

Seems like one area you would not really want to change.

as an older driver with a bad left knee consigned to an auto, I’ll have to get satisfaction from other areas of the car besides performance.

Nothing wrong with cloth if in good condition but ripped cloth seats just look to naff for me not to care. Leather wears much better and can usually be restored much much cheaper via DIY as long as its not too far gone.  

Most of the cloth seats I've seen are ripped, where as only the dried out leather seats have cracked. 

I think better off focusing on seats in good condition instead of what type. 

Leather looks good and wears well, but cloth is more comfortable. Cloth also offers a more stable ride  because you don't slip around so much - and it's warmer.  I doubt it makes much difference to the value of the car.  I had an E30 with leather (when I was younger).  Now have an E28 with comfort (cloth) seats. 

Depends on the cloth design of course, but when dropping a bit of coin to fully reupholster my E30, cloth was the only option for me, Uberkaro to be specific.

Houndstooth and some of the limited edition Mtech cloths are also highly desireable.

Black leather is the safest (universally popular) overall and seems like it wears a little better in general, as you can redye / spray it far more cost effectively than a full reupholster ($5-10k).

Picture your favourite female in a leather corset/bustier.  Now swap that out for Uberkaro, Houndstooth etc.  It's just not the same is it?

Edited by Olaf
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

No one let me near photoshop tonight.

• Haha 1

Doesn't matter once the clothes are on the floor.

On 5/29/2024 at 6:20 PM, Neil McCauley said:

No one let me near photoshop tonight.

File photo

IMG_0136.jpeg

• Haha 1

hi , either way, what ever u prefer,, only   if seats   not in good condition,,? 

iv got many leather & cloth oem  available .