E30stz

Quick Questions

The fronts will fit, but they won't be suitable because of the extra weight of the M50 over the M42. You'll end up with a front end that is way too low.

Rears definitely aren't suitable.

The fronts will fit, but they won't be suitable because of the extra weight of the M50 over the M42. You'll end up with a front end that is way too low.

Rears definitely aren't suitable.

Thought as much. Thanks :)

random issue:

just went to get some lunch got back into the car , then noticed my side mirrors are not folding out any ideas?

sorted e39 knob was just a button by the window functions!

Edited by e34play

What size is the hub nut on the front of an E30? 1985 BMW 320i

Is there anything big to watch out for when changing front hub/wheel bearings?

Cheers :D

E36 boxes sit correct in E30 M50 swaps don't they? shifter position and X-member position

...as opposed to the g260 m20 box which has big angle/gotta mod or bend X-member...is the angle really bad or barely noticable?

E36 boxes sit correct in E30 M50 swaps don't they? shifter position and X-member position

...as opposed to the g260 m20 box which has big angle/gotta mod or bend X-member...is the angle really bad or barely noticable?

I had a 240 in mine and the gears shifted over one to the passenger side. Eg 5th is where 3rd usually is. I'd imagine 260 would be similar?

Thanks for that,Not as big of a change as I thought. The search continues!

So what oil will you be using? and how much will it cost? i dont mind paying as long as i know what im getting.. whereas from the quotes i mentioned i have no clue what oil they will use and i know they rnt using genuine filter!

btw i have genuine filter to use.

cheers

I'm using a Knock-off filter but seems to be good quality from Milland (trademe) but it might be easier for you to just get a genuine unit from the dealer. (comes with the seals needed)

and Penrite HPR 10w-50 Full Synthetic (I was surprised to see this when I bought it, it never use to be) $46 / 5L I bought two bottles. One just about filled my M50B25. I think that oil is around $75 / 5L usually.

What size is the hub nut on the front of an E30? 1985 BMW 320i

Is there anything big to watch out for when changing front hub/wheel bearings?

Cheers :D

Bump... anyone know? Cheers :D

Bump... anyone know? Cheers :D

36mm same as the big nut on the front of a m30 engine :) lucky I had already had the socket.

Hey guys went for a drive today went to lock my drivers door by pushing the drivers door lock down.It just springs back up like a spring still opens from the outside no problems.Locks and unlocks with the key with no problems.Has something fallen off etc any ideas what it could be before i try and attempt to take the door skin off.Cars a 95 E36 4D

Thanks guys :blink:

Hi, Quick question, how long should an automatic gearbox last in an e30 325i? I got mine replaced in January last year (25,000km's ago) from Ray at HellBM and that gearbox blew driving along the motorway last Thursday on the way home from work. I take care of my car and how it is driven so I would have thought it would last a lot longer then that. Any insight from others with a similar problem? Do places like HellBM give parts warranties or guarantee their work for a certain amount of KM's? Thanks for any help.

Edited by Kaz

2nd hand parts normaly only have a 90 day warranty unless otherwise specified on the receipt. Some 2nd hand electrical items only have a 30 day warranty.

A rebuilt transmission would have a 12 month, 20,000km warranty, whichever occurs first.

Unfortunately you have far exceeded this Kaz in both cases. Talk to Ray... I'm sure he can help you out with another one at the right price....or pay the money and have it rebuilt.

Hi, Quick question, how long should an automatic gearbox last in an e30 325i? I got mine replaced in January last year (25,000km's ago) from Ray at HellBM and that gearbox blew driving along the motorway last Thursday on the way home from work. I take care of my car and how it is driven so I would have thought it would last a lot longer then that. Any insight from others with a similar problem? Do places like HellBM give parts warranties or guarantee their work for a certain amount of KM's? Thanks for any help.

Used is always a gamble, and those boxes aren't known as the most reliable thing in the world. If it was rebuilt or recond, I'd certainly expect more... but then there are rebuilds and rebuilds too. Fully reconditioned should last pretty much as well as original. Used... Russian roulette - it's the chance you take.

A mate just spent $7K on his 4.4 V8, because he KNOWS it'll be good, whereas a used one could pop it's clogs again anytime.

Bummer dude!

Does the starter motor from my g260 work with a g220 box?

Does the starter motor from my g260 work with a g220 box?

Starter must match the flywheel, not the gearbox.

post-5113-1336993728.jpg

just wondering if i should use lithium grease, copper grease, or just dish washing liquid to slip the lollipop bush onto the control arm shaft? I don't want the polyurethane bush to prematurely degrade from the wrong grease

Thanks

they need to be weel lubed through life so soap wioll wash out and cause squeaks

ideal is using supplied grease if you dont have it get a silicon based grease

most urethanes are happy with standard grease but im not 100% on what you have

Does the engine need to be lifted at all to remove the sump in an M20 engined E30? I'd heard it does but the Haynes manual only mentions lifting the engine in M40 engined cars.

Thanks in Advance :D

Does the engine need to be lifted at all to remove the sump in an M20 engined E30? I'd heard it does but the Haynes manual only mentions lifting the engine in M40 engined cars.

Thanks in Advance :D

no it doesnt HAVE to, but it makes it easier.

or if you have a hoist you could dump the subframe.

any one had issues with e39 remote?

im hoping mine is just the battery it takes more than a few times to lock and unlock sometimes real pain..

if its the jap import with the red dome under the mirror it will be infrared

make sure the infrared led on the remote is nice and clean

if its not working turn the camera on your phone on and look through it at the led on the key

a camera will pick up the invisible light and show it.

Should be flashing brighter and dim a few times before turning off