E30stz

Quick Questions

Cheers Brent. Will take a look tomorrow

any one had issues with their e39 parks lights on the rear not working? one side is working but i noticed one is gone out tips?

You haven't like.. left the indicator stalk up have you?

That got me the first time lol.

heres a actually picture of how it looks

i havent had a chance to look at it yet

whats the indicator stalk ?

both park lights at the front work fine!

Posted Image

Edited by e34play

Posted Image

Indicator stalk is the indicator control lever by the steering wheel. Is this picture with the engine on or off? In my 528 when the engine is off the park lights come on if 1] the running lights switch is on or 2] the indicator is left signalling left or right. In the case of 2] only one side (whichever direction the indicator signal was left on) will light.

Edited by jeffbebe

Oh, I know what you mean now.

Blown Bulb, stuffed bulb holder, damaged wiring(big touring issue). (at least with E34 anyway)

Ok, more problems, this time with my other e30 now that I just fixed my white one...

The car is a 1987 pre/fl 318i Automatic with around 115,000km's.

My issue is that when it starts up cold in the morning, there is a squeaking sound coming from possibly the fan or the belts. It goes away after a minute or so, and only seems to make the noise while idling. I have replaced the Drive Belt last week, hoping it may have been the problem but it wasn't

The other issue is that it seems to idle very rough, especially while its still warming up, and even if you accelerate smoothly, its quite jerky. Almost as if its struggling to get enough power, or sort of like its running out of petrol (which its not). Even once its warmed up, it can a little jerky while driving around.

Last week I got my drive belt and the accelerator cable replaced. The issues were happening before they were replaced.

When the car was first brought, it seemed fine and was never really driven too much. Its only now that its been driven daily for the last month or so that these issues have come up.

I'm no mechanic and have a limited knowledge when it comes to mechanical problems, so if anyone has any idea what could course these things, please let me know as I would like to get it fixed as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Kaz

Edited by Kaz

@#&%

The drum retaining bolt (rear e30 brake drum) is rusted and now stripped and stuck in there. The other side wasn't so bad and managed to get that one out.

Anyone know of any other way to get that bolt out? or get into the drums? I will need new bolts obviously but without getting that one out I can't fix my brakes...

Had the same problem on the missusses car. I had a screw remover kit thats like a drill bit but works in reverse and drills out part of the screw head untill it locks in and removes it. The warehouse sells them for like 20 buks in the as seen on tv stand

Edited by euroriffic

Should be alright. Make sure u use some crc on it first tho

^^^^ Should be able to get it out with a centre punch & hammer

Two questions:

Are the instrument cluster bulbs in an '89 e30 BMW specific or can bog-standard ones from repco etc be used?

This may be daft but would a PFL bonnet fit a Face lift e30?

Cheers

Two questions:

Are the instrument cluster bulbs in an '89 e30 BMW specific or can bog-standard ones from repco etc be used?

This may be daft but would a PFL bonnet fit a Face lift e30?

Cheers

a) Bog standard from Repco

b ) I've never heard that they aren't interchangeable

edit, my b turned into a smiley.

Edited by maxmax

Alternators.

Are there any other alternators that will fit an m50 that aren't so huge? By fit I mean something thats smaller in size and has the grooved belt pulley as opposed to a v belt setup.

Alternators.

Are there any other alternators that will fit an m50 that aren't so huge? By fit I mean something thats smaller in size and has the grooved belt pulley as opposed to a v belt setup.

yes most nz new cars have 80amp instead of the 140amp that the jap imports have

have one if needed

Just swapped front struts over. The replacement left one doesn't have a threaded bolt end to put the brake pad wear sensor ground wire on. Is there an alternate place to attach it? What are the consequences of running without it attached? I need to go and get new tyres tomorrow and wonder if it is going to damage anything electrically having it loose? It can't get caught in any moving parts I have checked that.

Thanks.

The sensor doesn't earth on the strut, it is a closed loop back to the dash. Sounds like you have two RH struts.

From memory, the stud you mean is there simply to attach the lead to. Just cable tie it back to the strut or maybe the brake hose mount

Are radiator mounts for an M20, M10 and M40 interchangeable?

Are radiator mounts for an M20, M10 and M40 interchangeable?

all of it is except the right hand plastic arm that clip onto the chassis the feet go into are longer for the M10 and M40. M20 radiator is an inch or two wider so has the same arm/mount as the left hand side. the foot itself that is on the raditor is interchangble though.

dont have a pic sorry mate

all of it is except the right hand plastic arm that clip onto the chassis the feet go into are longer for the M10 and M40. M20 radiator is an inch or two wider so has the same arm/mount as the left hand side. the foot itself that is on the raditor is interchangble though.

dont have a pic sorry mate

Sweet as cheers man

Got a question of my own,

I have a Large case LSD in the shed, its Ex E34 540i, i think its a 3.9x

What other models, including other E34s, will it bolt into right up?

What would it bolt into with maybe modification (eg E30 and E28 medium cases are just a back panel change away from cross compatable)

cheers

I've just replaced the radiator, thermostat and all the radiator hoses. I've filled up the radiator with half coolant and half water, I just tried to start it and it started fine initially, after a few mins white smoke started coming out the back of the exhaust (coolant I'm assuming). I turned the car off and tried to restart it again to no avail. My question is why is there coolant coming out the exhaust? Head gasket?

Its never been overheated, I have only driven it to the end of my driveway (10m or so) without and radiator.

Edit: and now the car won't start

Edited by AJ_D

How long did you run it for ? was it missing ?