E30stz

Quick Questions

Yeah, it's a sweet as function.

E34 goes Beep Beep Beep at a minute before the hour, also flashes the time up on the screen

My e39 530 2001, 106kms went into to get its dashboard pixelation issue fixed recently, The odometer could not be read so failed the WOF. This was done fine no issue. However now the car will not develop power over 2krpm and what power there is is very lumpy. I have had this car for 2 years and it has been ultra reliable. I have had the mechanic take the car back and they think it may be the coils.

My questions are.

1. Could there be a link between the work that took place on the dash and the current issue? The dash had to be opened and a part taken away to to be fixed.
  2. Do the symptoms as descriped fit with a coil issue?

Cheers

The dash repair won't have any effect on the engine, unless they've done some REALLY silly, and unrelated.

Before jumping in and replacing coils, scan for codes. If your mechanic doesn't have the gear, you need a different mechanic - guesswork is a waste of money on these things. Even after reading the codes, someone who knows how to interpret them, and diagnose the issues needs to have a crack at it.

I'd be suprised if you had multiple coil failures all at once, and one or two coils would still let the engine rev, it'd just be lacking power and be very rough feeling.

The rear power windows in my '87 325i Sedan don't work when using the switches in the back but work fine when using the switches in the front around the gear stick.... Could it just be as simple as the rear switches being bad? If it's not too hard of a fix I'd fix it otherwise i might just leave it... Thanks :)

The rear power windows in my '87 325i Sedan don't work when using the switches in the back but work fine when using the switches in the front around the gear stick.... Could it just be as simple as the rear switches being bad? If it's not too hard of a fix I'd fix it otherwise i might just leave it... Thanks :)

Have you checked to make sure you haven't turned them off? That's what the small square button is for to stop the kiddies in the back fiddling with them

Have you checked to make sure you haven't turned them off? That's what the small square button is for to stop the kiddies in the back fiddling with them

I always wondered what that switch was for! Problem solved, thanks so much.

• Like 1

The temperature gauge in my 88 325 has started to read lower than it has in the past. It would always hang just shy of the line at 12 oclock ( 2nd line ). It now hangs just past the 1st line. Heats up as usual, but just doesn't move past that point. It doesn't fluctuate when idling or cruising.

Fuel mileage is the same ( crap ), although I haven't accurately measured ( don't want to know ), just rough KM's per fill up.

Thermostat?

Thermostat could be stuck open

Figured this would be the only explanation.

Any ideas what thermostat I need? I understand there are a few options?

Will e36 m3 sachs dual mass (stock) fit a getrag 220 box or will it be to big

Will e36 m3 sachs dual mass (stock) fit a getrag 220 box or will it be to big

will fit , about the same height as a e36 328i one etc

got a spacer for the flywheel in my manual kit but it won't fit on the end of the drive shaft so I have used the auto spacer when I pulled off the starter wheel there was one. It fits on but is thicker. The shaft at the end seems to be tapered and gets smaller so the one I go with the kit can fit on. Will it be okay to use the auto one which is thicker? Also is there anything I can use for a clutch alignment tool? I don't have one. Cheers guys

Has anybody fitted an m3 clutch to an 220 box I have both zf and getrag slave and i know that a zf slave has not only a longer throw but also a longer shaft im very keen to find out that it definitely fits befor a go buying one.

Cheers.

got a spacer for the flywheel in my manual kit but it won't fit on the end of the drive shaft so I have used the auto spacer when I pulled off the starter wheel there was one. It fits on but is thicker. The shaft at the end seems to be tapered and gets smaller so the one I go with the kit can fit on. Will it be okay to use the auto one which is thicker? Also is there anything I can use for a clutch alignment tool? I don't have one. Cheers guys

It's not a spacer it is used on the bolts side of the flywheel. So you put the flywheel on, Spacer ring then torque the bolts up.

I'd get a proper alignment tool too, especially if doing it under the car. It makes getting the gearbox back on so much easier. Supercheap has universal ones, clamps the disc to the pressure plate I normally line it up by eye looking at the clutch centering it on the face of the pressure plate and clamp it then install it to the flywheel.

It's not a spacer it is used on the bolts side of the flywheel. So you put the flywheel on, Spacer ring then torque the bolts up.

I'd get a proper alignment tool too, especially if doing it under the car. It makes getting the gearbox back on so much easier. Supercheap has universal ones, clamps the disc to the pressure plate I normally line it up by eye looking at the clutch centering it on the face of the pressure plate and clamp it then install it to the flywheel.

That's interesting because I have been doing some research on this and the consensus appears to be that everyone thinks it goes behind the flywheel. Not on the bolt head side. But that would make more sense on what you're saying. Apparently it takes out some force on the clutch and gear box components when changing gears etc.

Thank for the info on the alignment tool, I didn't know super cheap would have one for an e30. I don't have a torque wrench either but do you know how many nm those flywheel bolts have to be? Cheers!!

Not specifically e30, but it is universal and you adjust it to clamp the clutch disc and pressure plate. It's quite Sh*t that's why I line it up by eye then use it to clamp it that way so I can attach it to flywheel.

Flywheel bolts 77ft-lbs, And loctite them too.

The ring is supposed to even out the force of the bolts against the flywheel. Theres alot of theories anyway - Real OEM confirms it is on the bolt side (#10 shim)

1.png

Not specifically e30, but it is universal and you adjust it to clamp the clutch disc and pressure plate. It's quite Sh*t that's why I line it up by eye then use it to clamp it that way so I can attach it to flywheel.

Flywheel bolts 77ft-lbs, And loctite them too.

The ring is supposed to even out the force of the bolts against the flywheel. Theres alot of theories anyway - Real OEM confirms it is on the bolt side (#10 shim)

Thanks, almost got this conversion done. What does one do about the covering cap and felt ring for the pilot bearing? Improvise? :banghead:

Think the evo ones I had have white on them. but I dont think anybody knows what the colours mean. Would be good to find out.

Thermostat could be stuck open

Figured this would be the only explanation.

Any ideas what thermostat I need? I understand there are a few options?

Installed the new thermostat, bled system etc and nothing changed.

Temperature sensor faulty? Going to take it to an auto electrician tomorrow and get them to quickly test it for me.

i would say it makes more of a difference in traffic day to day where engine bay temps go up so more use in central aucks. could you lose the front and leave half of the ducting? would defeat the ram air effect but would still give it somewhere to suck cooler air from. e34s have them and everyone i have seen is missing or broken and havent heard of them dying

5 and 7 series v8s have water cooled alternators but i fail to see how pumping 110'c water through it helps keep temps down.