Sign in to follow this  
gjm

Big engines, little cars

Aside from some of the monster engines fitted into cars that really weren't practical - The Beast and it's 27 litre Merlin lump, Charlie Broomfield's Rover SD1 with a similar engine from a tank (Meteor), those other aircraft engine swaps - what would be an ultimate swap?

I present exhibit 1: a Honda S2000.

Not your first choice perhaps for an engine swap. Nice little car, speedy revvy little 2 litre engine, nicely balanced, handles well... What would you swap in there?

A Skyline motor, perhaps? A 4-litre Lexus lump?

Nah.

How about an 8.3 litre V10?

00B0B_jcBi6IF8je1_600x450.jpg00M0M_8bedZwGzeGf_600x450.jpg00Q0Q_8v5YMgDsK9G_600x450.jpg

It's for sale on Craigslist in the US for $27k. Lots for an S2000 maybe, but you're unlikely to find another like this.

Kinda brings to mind that twin-turbo E30 V12, doesn't it?

imo the s2000 and NSX are the 2 best Honda's ever made..... well there is also the F1 car but to stuff in a dinosaur truck engine is just plain 'Murica.

Hmmm seems to be the SRT-10 version, 510bhp and 710Nm of torque ... wouldnt be sh*t

Hmmm seems to be the SRT-10 version, 510bhp and 710Nm of torque ... wouldnt be sh*t

Would need to flare those rear arches a bit more to get enough rubber under them to make use of those numbers, or maybe he likes doing smokey burnouts?

Would need to flare those rear arches a bit more to get enough rubber under them to make use of those numbers, or maybe he likes doing smokey burnouts?

Traction Control... So long as it's working 90% of the time it'd be OK. :)

Southwards car museum, this old Mercedes, 24 litre

4MPG

Still more efficient than a Hummer H1 lol

that with hotrod 355 tyres on the back to get the power down properly would be pretty cool

Right throughout thier History, Mercedes has built some seriously awesome stuff

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

In the USA, and also here in NZ, there has been the trend of v8's into the mx5 chassis. in the USA LSX series engines, here, lexus V8s.

Ive always liked the understated mitsubishi mirage hatchbacks with 2.4L stroked evo engines! especially the rare 4wd ones.

Apart from that, Hartge is known for putting big bmw engines into little bmw chassis :)

A friend back in the UK has (had?) a LS7 in an MX-5. He reckoned that if he was going to use an LSx, he may as well do the job properly.

I often wondered why there aren't more multi-rotor MX-5s about. Seems (to me, in my ignorance about the RX-7 and so on) a natural conversion.

• Like 1

I've owned two Daihatsu Max's... It was getting tempting to repower with a 1000cc motorcycle engine...

That's quite an increase from the original 360cc 33PS 2 cylinder 2 stroke :lol:

There's a wagon version on trade me right now... getting tempted again...

It'd weight about 550kg... with me in it... ( 420 without :ph34r: )

Edited by Allanw

A friend back in the UK has (had?) a LS7 in an MX-5. He reckoned that if he was going to use an LSx, he may as well do the job properly.

I often wondered why there aren't more multi-rotor MX-5s about. Seems (to me, in my ignorance about the RX-7 and so on) a natural conversion.

The rx platform has a more suitable chassis for a race platform. Being that it has a roof and also the suspension geometry to be able to fit wider wheels. Also better balanced.

The weight difference is not that much between the two cars. The rx box is a bolt in etc.