Sign in to follow this  
M3_Power

E46 M3 project

This is not going to be a full on blog just minor updates and notes every once in a while on this new project car!

So since acquiring the car I have been pondering what I wanted to do with it.

My original plan was to create a full CSL replica right down to the finest details in every aspect (why buy one for $148,000 when you can make a replica for cheaper??!! Lol) - I might still do this but with some minor twists. I might even turn it into a full fledge racecar ... I Keep changing my mind about it everyday lol!

This however should not stop me from tinkering!!!

I have always maintained that the CSL power is 95% software and 5% airbox with the associated noise being 95% airbox and 5% placebo lol!! So in order to test my theory out I decided to CSL the engine management of the car with genuine sensors and CSL dme and software. All wiring done via crimping and no soldering as per BMW wiring repair instructions or in this case additions to the main factory harness with correct bmw wiring salvaged from a loom I had. I like originality so I used everything factory where I could, right down to the Oetiker clamps : )

MAP sensor

99147209-D372-4BA2-94A9-1734AFA26B5F_zps

8FD12907-3775-4F57-990B-BA946330DA8E_zps

So how does it drive without the airbox???!!! Mind blowing is all I can say. I have proven my hypothesis above.

Might try out the exposed trumpet next .... hmmm decisions ...

Edited by M3_Power
  • Like 6

Nice project Tom.

And the green... why? I'm afraid that looks terrible. :unsure:

I agree

second hand powder coated but never used air balance rail so I didn't have a say in the colour lol! Couldn't be bothered removing the powder coating as it'd have been quite the mission!

Interesting idea Tom lol all the best.On a different scale i will admit is the M3 csl than the up grade i carried out from a stock basic 316ti to a  Msport 325ti compact. Hope you have an interesting experience both mechanically and the electronics involved as I did. Best of luck.

6 hours ago, M3_Power said:

I agree

second hand powder coated but never used air balance rail so I didn't have a say in the colour lol! Couldn't be bothered removing the powder coating as it'd have been quite the mission!

Flick me a pm IF you want I can powdercoat over It with matt black or something!!

• Like 1

Had an hour to spare over the weekend for a change so decided to do this. Drives like the real thing and sounds even better as I didn't bother to wire up the noise flap controller instead using an aftermarket piece and adjusting the map to account for it.

9085FFC8-AF4B-4E73-A32B-1021FE11E559_zps

Edited by M3_Power
  • Like 4

Given the scarcity and expense of genuine MSS54HP DMEs, I have been doing a few of these HP DME conversions for others recently. Good to see more and more joining the CSL revolution : P

B3B12787-C5C8-4A74-BCC8-8F3095DF52CE_zps

A888C82C-A8B5-4043-804E-AB735A68A7E9_zps

D28016AD-E826-4F96-B89B-8B75FB4CDBEB_zps

• Like 2

Slight overdue update!

actually not much changed till recently until the clutch started playing up. Couple of correct re-adaptations and resets and it'd be better for a short while then it'd thump away. I knew something mechanical wasn't right with the clutch mechanism, suspected a broken plastic pivot pin. Low and behold it was and a seized flywheel which I didn't plan for!!

Just wanted to show how good SMG is on the clutch. Sorry for the crap photo! But in person next to a new clutch plate it was almost as good as new except for the outer wear from uneven release due to the broken pivot pin. 

Original clutch 177,000km+ never changed! And people don't like smg : P

IMG_3420.JPG.2b582451a6587beed666f881598e9f1a.JPG

Stupid plastic pivot pin 

IMG_3428.JPG.f3be6b55f515b6ae93107c46bebbc209.JPG

got to love NZ new rust free cars!!

IMG_3421.JPG.a1d26837e4a31e3ce179ef910f5bea97.JPG

• Like 4

nice work , yea my nz new m3 smg , 137ks , clutch starting to show its age . have to get onto that at some stage :)

yes agreed on the NZ new cars ,

• Like 1

Been a while ... the car has been occupying a hoist space for almost too long, but it’s nearing the end of the rebuild with almost all new parts installed underneath ... 

some pictures of the progress

just waiting for the cert man to return

photos!

40A762A6-308A-41F7-B016-88796A982656.jpeg

42BB6DD7-C386-4334-978C-2586C6280594.jpeg

9DB76A63-227A-46AD-8D94-68B64EB886FC.jpeg

• Like 3

Perhaps I missed something, did the read subframe get ripped out? Why the rebuild?

Yes, but my question was based on the work being far more extensive than necessary for repairing and preventing 'cracks'. Perfection is one thing, overkill is another.

I did look back at previous pages but didn't see any mention, might have missed something.

Very Minor crack in the usual bottom skin left rear and front right mounting point. Secondary skin opened up to check welding on top which was fine.

Reddish Motorsport plate installed plus GTR style triangulation bar for overkill repair and complete bullet proofing for the most powerful S54B32 700hp NA build ( : P ) lol

• Like 6

Passed its cert with flying colours : ) 

Good to be back after 6 months

Drives like a new car!!!! 

who says racecar suspension don’t work on a road vehicle : )

AB6F298F-7E27-4DDB-9317-03C5FF14CC23.thumb.jpeg.febd070c14d07cbefb6f00f0cd04d207.jpeg

9B434E8C-5F3B-48C0-85F5-E23808F90337.thumb.jpeg.a43e286eab4a86f7543cfe39fc814ebf.jpeg

Edited by M3_Power
  • Like 3

Peter gave me a quick overview of what has been done on the M3 last week. Fair bit of work gone on there! 

Edited by E30 325i Rag-Top
quote prev post inc photos

Are those KW coilovers?

KW 2-way will work well, even on NZ roads, lots of adjustment to get it how you want it for road and track.

What's the current plan - a cage and go racing or fast road semi-sleeper?

• Like 1

I have KW V2 and with the right settings they're great on the road. Just a little tricky on some driveways and parking buildings :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

KW 2-way will work well, even on NZ roads, lots of adjustment to get it how you want it for road and track.

What's the current plan - a cage and go racing or fast road semi-sleeper?

To be honest I am forever changing my plan with it!!! We’ll see what the bank manager says about my spendings lol!!!

1 hour ago, Matth5 said:

I have KW V2 and with the right settings they're great on the road. Just a little tricky on some driveways and parking buildings :)

Actually not the same suspension - and to be honest the spring rates on these are probably just a tad too hard!! And these are the soft sets!! Lol

Edited by M3_Power

3 minutes ago, M3_Power said:

To be honest I am forever changing my plan with it!!! We’ll see what the bank manager says about my spendings lol!!!

commit

take the plunge.

leap, no regrets

• Like 1