Jump to content
JBM3

E46 M3 - CSL Air Intake / GTR Bonnet! - Completed

Recommended Posts

Thought I'd share today's arrival, very exciting times!

  • Karbonius CSL Air intake - Box, Snorkel.

              Have decided to go with carbon fiber trumpets over OEM plastic trumpets.

  • Carbon Fiber M3 GTR Style Vented Bonnet.

      Muffler (already on my car): https://www.agency-power.com/shop/titanium-muffler-exhaust-bmw-m3-e46/

My M3:  http://bimmersport.co.nz/topic/59830-new-forum-member-on-the-north-shore-e46-m3/

1.jpg

 

 

 

9.jpg

4.jpg

8.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

image1.jpeg

image3.jpeg

 

 

 

 

 

02409DF5-78C0-412C-910D-742F60357123.jpeg

F2C1C62D-3970-411B-BF49-F0C0680BB57B.jpeg

1F505EEC-6E48-4B35-8DA7-F065FA3D0B9B.jpeg

Edited by JBM3
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, you're not doing things by half! And I'm really interested to see that GTR hood, does it use pins?

Although I'm not interested in companies that claim "amazing gains" without posting dyno charts that they must already have (you can't make a performance exhaust without a lot of dyno time) it sure looks pretty!

Does that K&N setup for the e46 really cost $1,000? $120 for the filter and $880 for the other two bits?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Wow, you're not doing things by half! And I'm really interested to see that GTR hood, does it use pins?

Although I'm not interested in companies that claim "amazing gains" without posting dyno charts that they must already have (you can't make a performance exhaust without a lot of dyno time) it sure looks pretty!

Does that K&N setup for the e46 really cost $1,000? $120 for the filter and $880 for the other two bits?

 

@M3AN looking at pins! it doesn't come with pins so will have to be a "once its on" decision, I dont as yet if it "needs" them.

I totally agree with you in terms of company's that claim x amount of HP per part I am a realist and the dyno will be the true argument settler! 

Yes the K&N air intake system is $675 USD that's about $954 NZD, the you have import taxes of about $200.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ho-ly crap!

 

awesome

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have to see this at a meet one day. Hope it sounds great! (of course it will)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great purchase going with the Karbonius airbox. I'm considering picking up up one of the revised Geoff Steel airboxes when I'm over in the UK later this year.

Are you doing the full CSL conversion with flap and MAP sensor/custom tune? Who's doing the install?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, JohnM575 said:

Great purchase going with the Karbonius airbox. I'm considering picking up up one of the revised Geoff Steel airboxes when I'm over in the UK later this year.

Are you doing the full CSL conversion with flap and MAP sensor/custom tune? Who's doing the install?

 @JohnM575 I don't know alot about whats happening next to tell you the truth, @HELLBM are doing the install/tune ect.

In terms of the flap I don't actually know where to get one  :huh:

Edited by JBM3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, JBM3 said:

 @JohnM575 I don't know alot about whats happening next to tell you the truth, @HELLBM are doing the install/tune ect.

In terms of the flap I don't actually know where to get one  :huh:

By flap, he means this: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-european-bmw-parts/csl-intake-flap/11617833498~oee/

747933_x800.jpg

 

Looks like you already have Karbonius' CF replacement, based on your pictures.

If you did want to run the genuine CSL flap, you'll need to have an MSS54HP DME modified to have the H-Bridge IC to actuate the flap.

There are a few other parts you'll need for your conversion which I didn't see pictured:

  • MSS54HP DME (your car may have an MSS54HP or an MSS54)
  • MAP sensor (unfortunately BMW/Bosch has stopped producing the 'proper' sensor, but take a look at this thread)
  • IAT (Intake Air Temperature) sensor P/N 13621739510, 12521427615, 12521732635
  • Air filter
  • Air rail P/N 13417833597
  • Vent hose P/N 11157833649
  • Other bits if your car is SMG (fluid tank & bracket)
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/1/2018 at 9:20 AM, exextatic said:

By flap, he means this: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-european-bmw-parts/csl-intake-flap/11617833498~oee/

747933_x800.jpg

 

Looks like you already have Karbonius' CF replacement, based on your pictures.

If you did want to run the genuine CSL flap, you'll need to have an MSS54HP DME modified to have the H-Bridge IC to actuate the flap.

There are a few other parts you'll need for your conversion which I didn't see pictured:

  • MSS54HP DME (your car may have an MSS54HP or an MSS54)
  • MAP sensor (unfortunately BMW/Bosch has stopped producing the 'proper' sensor, but take a look at this thread)
  • IAT (Intake Air Temperature) sensor P/N 13621739510, 12521427615, 12521732635
  • Air filter
  • Air rail P/N 13417833597
  • Vent hose P/N 11157833649
  • Other bits if your car is SMG (fluid tank & bracket)

Thanks for pointing these out :) These aren't pictured as they are still in transit :(

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pic's now include carbon fiber bonnet! 😊

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Holy crap.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Carbon paradise!!!! Very nice indeed, will be watching with interest! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/3/2018 at 9:45 PM, CSET said:

Carbon paradise!!!! Very nice indeed, will be watching with interest! 

Bonnet fitted today, photos courtesy of my panelbeater, I haven’t yet seen it in person! Will take some better photos tomorrow :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OMG LOL FTW. 😮 👍 🎯 

Oh, and please consider posting pics along the way rather than adding them all to the first post, if they're all put there the page ends up taking too many resources to load. Up to you, it's not a rule.

Edit: yay, we've got proper emojis now.

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, M3AN said:

OMG LOL FTW. 😮 👍 🎯 

Oh, and please consider posting pics along the way rather than adding them all to the first post, if they're all put there the page ends up taking too many resources to load. Up to you, it's not a rule.

Edit: yay, we've got proper emojis now.

Thanks for the advice! I'm still new to all this so don't know the "right way" to do this 😂 ill get there LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You need to bring it to one of our coffee meets Jed...

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, M3AN said:

You need to bring it to one of our coffee meets Jed...

 

1st Sunday of every month? Sounds good to me! 😊 I'v followed the thread also so I dont forget, Sign me up for the July 1st meet, my car will be completely finished by then! 

Edited by JBM3
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a heads up, did you check to see if those headers fit a right hand drive car? The only company I can remember from when I had my e46 m3 that did off the shelf headers was Super Sprint. Hope they're all good though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BimmerShaun said:

Just a heads up, did you check to see if those headers fit a right hand drive car? The only company I can remember from when I had my e46 m3 that did off the shelf headers was Super Sprint. Hope they're all good though

Hi, yea parts fit :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where did you buy the gtr bonnet from, and what did it cost?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Car looks killer man, keep up the good work!

IMO, I would have left the bonnet unpainted.....that's just me tho 😋

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, zero said:

Where did you buy the gtr bonnet from, and what did it cost?

Got the bonnet from a guy I could put you in contact with if you're serious about buying. Cost $1650. 50% deposit on order and 50% on hand over :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BatMansWilly said:

Car looks killer man, keep up the good work!

IMO, I would have left the bonnet unpainted.....that's just me tho 😋

Can definitely appreciate that! :)  Reasons for painting it, 1. Didnt want one panel a different colour. 2. Thought painting it and leaving the vents would make them stand out more and go with the "Grey and Black" theme

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Certainly gone 110% on intake and exhaust. Will be watching with envy. Interested in power gains.... and induction sound to die for

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×