Jump to content
BozzaFC

Fun Cars for Under 5k

Recommended Posts

On 1/25/2019 at 11:55 AM, BozzaFC said:

They’re quite cool! When I was on the hunt for my current Bimmer I kept my eyes and ears open on the Clio market. Tell me more about your one @OP6, pictures?

2003 Renault Clio, first registered in 2005, so showing as a 2005 model (there is another thread  on this anomaly in NZ.)

Now done 182,000kms and used as the work horse car. Rear hatch has a large opening so can fit  surprisingly large items in there. My only car with a towbar and has done sterling service  in that respect. on numerous occasions pulled more than its own weight.

Excellent to drive, with one of the nicest gearboxes with a quick, precise change and fantastic ratios, 2nd tops out just over 100km/h.

Electric power steering that actually does a good job, much better than the Z4 we had until recently

Rev limiter at 7250rpm and yet quite  torquey, with definite steps in power as the dephaser ( vtec ) does its job. 

Love the handling, stays very flat but still with a pretty reasonable ride, very poor turning circle though.

Reliability, well, in 35,000kms so far it has not put a wheel wrong.

 

Ren.jpg

Ren 3.jpg

Ren_5.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's one of those Clios in the NZ super lap series. The joker is a good driver and its Impressively rapid for what is a very basic car 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/26/2019 at 8:29 PM, Young Thrash Driver said:

I bought a manual E39 for well under 5K, do I have to leave this discussion now:lol:

Only if you include links to Morrisey's whiniest songs.  

This one's not so whiney...

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, OP6 said:

2003 Renault Clio, first registered in 2005, so showing as a 2005 model (there is another thread  on this anomaly in NZ.)

Now done 182,000kms and used as the work horse car. Rear hatch has a large opening so can fit  surprisingly large items in there. My only car with a towbar and has done sterling service  in that respect. on numerous occasions pulled more than its own weight.

Excellent to drive, with one of the nicest gearboxes with a quick, precise change and fantastic ratios, 2nd tops out just over 100km/h.

Electric power steering that actually does a good job, much better than the Z4 we had until recently

Rev limiter at 7250rpm and yet quite  torquey, with definite steps in power as the dephaser ( vtec ) does its job. 

Love the handling, stays very flat but still with a pretty reasonable ride, very poor turning circle though.

Reliability, well, in 35,000kms so far it has not put a wheel wrong.

Ahhh, the good old Clio.  My mate had one (earlier model) as a company car back in '96, all the sales reps in his company had them.  His was the fastest in the fleet; as a former mechanic, he knew how to exercise a motor to loosen up and perform at it's best.  I remember 115mph (indicated) on the M3 blazing our way back to London, none of the other guys in the office could top 105 and were always scratching their heads how his was quicker across London too.  Renaults are generally lightweight, and handle surprisingly well.  

Here's something left-field...

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/28/2019 at 4:01 PM, Olaf said:

Only if you include links to Morrisey's whiniest songs.  

This one's not so whiney...

 

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not mine obviously but solid cars, fun, plenty of second hand and aftermarket parts around

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 11:55 AM, BozzaFC said:

They’re quite cool! When I was on the hunt for my current Bimmer I kept my eyes and ears open on the Clio market. Tell me more about your one @OP6, pictures?

Definately a nippy little go-kart, but bearing in mind this is for the daughter I would suggest something a bit more modern with a few more safety features. A good friend of mine had a Clio 16v late 80's early 90's (not sure if there are later generations) and it didn't do much in the way of protection when it had a bit of a shunt.

I know it's something you hope / think won't happen, but plan for the worse situation..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 12:20 PM, OP6 said:

 

Ren_5.jpg

Can you please move the frog out of the way so can see more of the boxy Bavarian in the background please??

That is definately a later model to what my mate had - so should have a few more safety features on it!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll post up a couple of pictures over the weekend of the boxy Bavarian.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Took a few shots of the M3 whilst at Ruapuna today. The Landrover is ours too. Threw in a few other random photos from what was a great day. I have only ever been to the Skope Classic but I find it fantastic that you can wander all over the pits and talk to the owners, look over their cars, ask questions  etc.  Amazing.

Thrown in a few other random photos  from what was a great day.

rua5.jpg

rua9.jpg

rua4.jpg

rua8.jpg

rua1.jpg

rua2.jpg

rua3.jpg

rua16.jpg

rua6.jpg

rua7.jpg

rua15.jpg

rua10.jpg

rua12.jpg

rua13.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Cars under 5k"

Hehe. 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone has an old Mt Cook Landliner? Impressive.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was very tidy from 30 metres away, the aluminium sides were highly polished. I meant to go and have a closer look, but got waylaid. They were quite the coach in their day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They were and had a great sounding motor too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My E36 318ti (316i) cost me 2k. Its manual, handles great (on low springs) and is comfortable (mtec seats) and is great with the sunroof and good stereo. Handles way better than any of my coupes or sedans in the same variant. 110hp is enough for a first car. Heaps of fun.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/3/2019 at 10:59 PM, Palazzo said:

They were and had a great sounding motor too.

Detroit Diesel?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes. 6V92? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×