Sign in to follow this  
hybrid

Operation: Weapons Grade

Have you spoken to a certifier yet???

Mark Stokes has been recommended to me by a couple of people.

I think, if you can convince them that ya car wasn't fitted, with or designed for, a cat, then you might be all good.

I used Mark Stokes as well... real good guy

Cool guys will look into it when everything is placed permantly in the engine bay (bottles etc etc)

Still working on the wiring at the moment. We now have the starter motor working on the actual 'starter' key position and not ignition. It was to do with the starter circuit pin out differences on the loom adapter for face lift vs pre-face lift. I have a pre-face lift obviously :) a quickish re-route in the fuse box sorted the start problem out. However we are still not getting 12 volts down pin 15 or pin 16 down the diagnostic port. pins 14,15 and 16 should have 12volts running through them. We again are checking the dfferences in the pre-face lift loom. Confirmed this on Ray's M-Coupe.

Anyways so not startup glory today so instead I took a trip down to see how the new wheels are getting on.

They have finished the barrels and are just working on the inners., black bolts still to come but ill save that for when they are mounted on the wheels.

With out further ado, Arrow wheels work their magic

This is the bit they used to drill the PDC and the caps they press into the holes.

Posted Image

Welded and in the middle of being milled.

Posted Image

new wholes ready for caps to be pressed in

Posted Image

A new colour they have made up for me, Ill name it hybrid gunmetal :D Tested on one of their spare centers to show me what it will look like and give me approval for the go ahead. Note its tastefully darker than the standard silver (in the back ground)

Posted Image

Barrel win. Polished lips :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

enjoy..

Those wheels are going to look sick Josh, i envy you're BBS LM's!

"hybrid gunmetal" is going to look good on the m325i

Im hoping so .. the gaurds need to be built around the wheels. So they might not go on straight away :)

Guest Ari Gold

Josh, is that a straight polished lip, or have they retained the milled surface?

Hybrid Gunmetal is sick :D

They been have cut and polished back its not a coating but polished bare metal.

yeah quite stoked with the colour! :) it changes its luminance when angled in the light which is cool.

Wheels are gonna look good. Shame about the wiring issues, just not enough hours in a day huh.

Maybe, will depend totally if they are talking FL or pre-FL .. will look into it. thanks dude

Wheels are gonna look good. Shame about the wiring issues, just not enough hours in a day huh.

nah .. definitely not :/

Im hoping so .. the gaurds need to be built around the wheels. So they might not go on straight away :)

18x8.5 right? What offset and im assuming ur not running spacers?

Ive settled for 8.5 in the rear of my e36, CBF with the required work to make 9" + fit. Will space out to achieve stance!

Never the less. 8.5" should poke out lots on a e30!

18x8.5 right? What offset and im assuming ur not running spacers?

Ive settled for 8.5 in the rear of my e36, CBF with the required work to make 9" + fit. Will space out to achieve stance!

Never the less. 8.5" should poke out lots on a e30!

Im running 30 offset on the wheels with 15mm spacers to bring the front to 15 offset. I also run 1.5 to 2 degrees of camber.

on the rear I run a different setup, its an m-coupe trailing arm which has a slightly sider track, Im also about to run 9.5 on the rear @ 32 offset.

8.5 is fine if you get the offsets right and are prepared for a little panel work.

Guest Ari Gold

8.5 is fine if you get the offsets right and are prepared for a little panel work.

Edited - it's too early and I've only had one coffee.

Edited by Ari Gold

Sorry I was talking for 18's .. 17's are a different story. On the front you have inner guard mods to do to the rear and inner (engine side) faces. Just a minor tweak but mods none the same.

Sorry I was talking for 18's .. 17's are a different story.

Que?

Surely its the tyre width and its diameter that matters.

Edited by CamB

Que?

Surely its the tyre width and its diameter that matters.

you have two profiles .. 35% or 40% when running bigger wheels on e30's

35's are very expensive and hard to get @ 18 inch for lower width (235/225) so 40% is the best price point and in my view performance on NZ roads.

the trade off with those sizings is it slightly skims the inner guard on lock. Even with offset control arm bushes / eyeball arms.

35% on 235 almost doesn't exist.

I see. Makes sense then - hadn't thought about low availability of tyre sizes.

A friend of mine paid about 2k for a set of tires for his m3 @ 18 / 35. I just can't justify it.

Are you trying to tell me, that Arrow wheels, welded up, and re-drilled your wheels from 4 stud to 5 stud? When they explicitly told me that they don't do that sort of job? And by they, I mean Lance! Looks good by the way!

Are you trying to tell me, that Arrow wheels, welded up, and re-drilled your wheels from 4 stud to 5 stud? When they explicitly told me that they don't do that sort of job? And by they, I mean Lance! Looks good by the way!

hell no.

They are 5x114.3 taken out to 5x120. I have a 5 lug conversion.

Update.

More wiring (12 hours of it) and connecting up of misc stuff like booster air lines etc.

What a day yesterday was.

EWS is a steap learning curve, We started out but checking the loom and electrical diagrams for the e30 and e36. by about lunch time we had found that the pin 15 voltage problem actually wasn't a problem at all. Its just that the e30 doesnt have an EGS/IKE/etc to put 12 volts down the line back to the diagnostic port. So we jumpered it across from another ECU pinout.

The pin is only used to tell the diagnostic equipment that the ECU and modules is present and accounted for.

With that problem out of the way and confirmed, we could suddenly take reading from the ECU. YAY!

however we were having issues addressing the EWS. So back to the diagrams.

I noticed while I was looking that the EWS unit we had only had 'EWS' written on it. I asked ray to check his 2000 M-Coupe and it had EWS III written on it. AHA! we had an EWS I unit, crap.

SO out we went to search for an EWS II + key. again turned out to be a bit of a mission. We had worked out they (EWS II) were only produced between 95 and 97 so finding something was going to be hard. We searched all 5 series and 3 series cars and finally found one in a 318ti.

Awesome, so here we go again. (the sun was going down at this point)

Plugged in the EWS II and got a different bunch of error messages saying the EWS unit couldn't find the key. YAY! at least the GT1 computer had found the EWS module.

Brendon had read somewhere that you need to make sure the key is in the right position, so he adjusted it, we cleared the fault codes and tried again.

Success!

Cool so were not had a working system ready to code.

Brendon and I complete n00bs with progmanSSS ray made a 8:30pm on a saturday phone call to the dealer and he explained the start proceedure.

Reading all instructions and linking up extra batteries for constant current while programming, we set off to code.

Crap! .. time to bring in a running vehicle and jumper cables.

right now we had 13 volts.

We could now code. We tried and tried and tried but go stuck at the need part number for replacement module screen. so at 10:30pm we decided to call in a night.

We are going to look at using my carsoft software as its not so anal about part numbers etc etc and has a simple function to just align DME -> EWS. So will give that a go.

Once the EWS is aligned the car sould just start.

thanks for the detailed post above :D has helped a lot!

hell no.

They are 5x114.3 taken out to 5x120. I have a 5 lug conversion.

Ahh, I see, I was getting myself confused, you were holding up one face with a 4 stud arrangement! I once went to Lance to ask about sorting out 5 - 4 stud, he said it's doable but they don't really do it.

Ahh, I see, I was getting myself confused, you were holding up one face with a 4 stud arrangement! I once went to Lance to ask about sorting out 5 - 4 stud, he said it's doable but they don't really do it.

They do it, they would prefer not to and its very expensive per wheels as their is a lot of work involved. I saw one being done while I was there however he said it was fighting him the whole way and he said he going to have to charge more for doing it in the future as its really is lots of work. Almost makes it not a viaible option.