Sign in to follow this  
hybrid

Operation: Weapons Grade

Good move.

Coming along nicely

Edited by westy

Ahhh so it's not just me having that problem with the shifter. How hard was it to mod that to fit? Also, is your shifter sitting slightly foward (even when it's in 2nd)? I thiiiink it might be because I'm running a 260/260 shifter link but not too sure.

Ahhh so it's not just me having that problem with the shifter. How hard was it to mod that to fit? Also, is your shifter sitting slightly foward (even when it's in 2nd)? I thiiiink it might be because I'm running a 260/260 shifter link but not too sure.

I'm not sure what linkage I have (from the HELLBM parts bin) but its the best fit and keeps the shifter vertical as well as away from the drive shaft. Tried all sorts of other types as well.

Its also the fact im running s50+ZF5spd+e21 mounts etc etc.. which will affect your positioning as it different on yours. you maybe able to change it on the alloy support plate if its not too far out (slide forward or back)

If its forward its because your shifter is slightly too long (even 2mm = 10mm up on the knob due to the short shift ratio)

Its real easy to work out where you want it and then just mark how much you need to shorten the linkage by (cut and weld)

Give me a yell, my fabrication guy can sort it out for ya easy enough once you know how much you want.

Yeah I thought it might be because of that too. The AKG guy reckons try a 240 shifter and it will work fine. Will pinch one next time I'm up there.

Update:

Fuel Pump - Walbro 255lph '500hp' external to keep up with the 5bar pressure requirements :)

It took some time as I run a pre-facelift which run an external low volume-high pressure pump and a intank high volume-low pressure pump system. This is different to the facelift single intank pump with baffles in the tank.

We removed the fuel dampner (little bell looking think) as I dont think it will be up to the task of as you say 5bar fuel delivery, It will also provide for some nice vaccum backfires ;). We also removed the rear regulator (pre face lift thing) as the s50 has one up on the engine.

I had to run two fuel lines the one from the tank to the fuel pump was larger diameter and the one from the pump to the main fuel line was smaller. The oem pre-face lift configuration about explains why.

BMW were very clever with this system as it means that the pre facelift was setup for cornering and nil fuel starvation from the get go. Weight saving, costings and the potential for more parts to go wrong in the fuel delivery systrem saw BMW change this to the single intank system.

If the internal high volume low pressure pump can't (it should be able to) keep up with the new pump at sustained high RPM, I will look at installing a swirl pot system instead. But thats for a later date. We worked out pretty quick that there are no published Pre-face lift s50b32 euro builds out there. (im sure they exist just not in our part of the world)

here is it finished

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I would totally run an external fuel swirl pot if I was you, my car was starving around medium to high speed corners even when the tank was just above half way (mines a pre f/l with 500hp walbro) Im sure it was a factor in it over heating

I agree, and since you've already got 2 pumps its a simple job.

Sweet will look into it after I get it all up and running.

Car looks good. bet you cant wait to get it running with it being soo close to being finished. mine also saw starvation.

here is what i did, pretty brutal setup trying to fit it all under the car but it works.

Posted Image

So another long day but we got a lot done. In fact we got more than a lot done! .. We think by the end of tomorrow we will be powering up and aligning the DME <-> EWS2 .. which means (if the oil lines and fan is completed by monday) we will be firing it up on weds night.

Anyways, picked up the new modified steering coloum. Countersunk allen head screw caps .. hot :D

Posted Image

Posted Image

And a machined and shorten linkage connector rods which now mates the DTM shifter and ZF nicely.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Which now brings us to drive shaft installation .. I know this is pretty boring for most of you, but again as usual nothing was as it seems and with out modification. e30 m3 grp-a driftshaft thanks to conrod, we spent about 2 hours getting the diff end bolts pressed in *rolls eyes* and pre-loading the hanger bearing. Thanks to ray for all his help and the guibo bolts which turned out to be e39 ones! :) m12 10.9 @ 115 NM torque thank you very much :wacko:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The cover was then added, after an intense 30min session with industrial grade degreaser and a water blaster.

before

Posted Image

after

Posted Image

Then came the exhaust which I have actually had for weeks, I just took it off before I could photo it :) .. anyways here is the new pride and joy, light weight stainless 2inch (to retain torque) to the 3 inch collector at the rear to the e60 550i muffler.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And a completed shot from underneath rear and front

Posted Image

Posted Image

Part 2 of today :)

So feeling pretty stoked we got everything done underneath we started on the wiring and I modified the radiator supports to hold the radiator better.

I love the hellbm parts bin .. with out it I would of never of found half the solutions I would have to this date for small little annouying problems.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Next was the throttle cable, we tried the e30 one but as thought it was just two short.. so went for a nicer e36 one instead :)

Posted Image

and my cheesy first time pressing the throttle video, with the legacy e30 cable :D

Right after that excitment, on with more and more wiring. stunning messy engine bay picutures, however you can see the new covers and how they will give this engine bay a truely factory look when completed.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here are some random images I thought may be mildy interesting of the workshop the car is in..

Tune rocking out on our local rock station, notice the taped down tuner so bad people dont go change it something bad. (Im being PC here all right! :D )

Posted Image

Whats this ... another M-Coupe which is being decided on its future. Its sitting in our little car bay where the e30 sat for over half a year ..

Posted Image

Have you ever played lego as a kid, well this is the adult version and one of 5 or so around the shop. We'd be lost with out it and I can thank it for many a cut finger. I have a love hate relationship with it now.

Posted Image

Some other headers I have

Posted Image

New parts storage

Posted Image

Posted Image

And this is what sits under neath it when the e30 s50 is sleeping :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Anyways .. another big update tomorrow ...

Throttle cable test with legacy e30 cable, now replaced with e36 one.

Amazing journey Josh! If your project was a woman this would be in the Hi maintenance category! Well done.

making good progress there hybrid.

parts bins are so handy. especially when reinventing the wheel a few times over.

If i didnt have a couple cars to rob bits off,i'd still be a few months off from finishing

fancy diff cooler you got there

m

Awesome progress. You know the steering linkage universals are out of phase, huh?

Oooo baby, this is gonna be so sweet :)!

M-Coupe.. shotgunnn :ph34r:

Guest Ari Gold

I LOVE the exhaust, but sorry Josh, that 550i back box is hideous, the tip don't match the rear bodywork at all!

Love your work! hope to build some half this nice one day! all the detail!

Will be a big ask to supress the bark of an S50 with one box. Very nice system tho.

Edited by wayney

Coming along very nicely Josh, looks great.

Bet you're getting excited for this week.

still up at rays with the GT1 connected, we hit a snag with the ignition barrel, what we thought was the alarm was infact the e30 ignition barrel fault, so just fixing that now so should be coding in 30 mins or so after we resolder the EWS.

and yes, pretty excited .. I have some shopping of minor parts to do for the next three days. Air filter / fluids and some pipes from BNT. not long now.