Sign in to follow this  
hybrid

Operation: Weapons Grade

Ashkan, if you mean the end cover over the battery tray I got mine ex Germany for $76 shipped IIRC, 1 week wait too. P/N 51711380392

UPDATE:

Time to step this sh*t up a bit.

Cold Airbox time.

Big thanks for Ollie's cad skills in sorting this out from his airbox design and to my dad for cutting the mock ups and no thanks to stationary warehouse for charging me $20 per sheet of 1.5mm thick cardboard.

Dad runs a cutting business which specailises in cutting materials / foam / plastics / composites etc. Company is called cutlines.

Anyways here we go..

Top down view

Posted Image

3d

Posted Image

The design at Dads work.

Posted Image

measuring the card

Posted Image

VIDEO: explaining how to program the design for the different tools (Pen, Knife, pizza wheel, hole punch etc)

Setting up the drag knife for depth

Posted Image

Tooling up the head

Posted Image

Posted Image

Air pressure check.

Posted Image

Marking the the 'origin' on the card with laser. This will be the return or known point on the card.

Posted Image

VIDEO: card being cut

photos :)

Posted Image

this is seriously the best way to prototype :D

Posted Image

Sorting out the fold lines with the perf tool

Posted Image

whole system

Posted Image

Needed to make some room first ...

Out comes the PITA bracket

VIDEO: Time to cut some sh*t

Posted Image

few adjustments to make as you can see .. I also need to buy a silicon 135 bend and alloy 89mm joiner

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

After this I ran around and re measured everything and marked it on the prototype where changes need to be made. We will do this process again and try the card up at the car next time. Once its all matches its off the the laser cutters to cut this out of anodised alloy :)

I also decided to give mounting the new radiator fan a crack... was plesantly suprised it wasn't the end of the world and I didnt need to fabricate any mounts. I just used old parts kicking around the workshop for brackets .. worked a treat! :)

e36 pusher fan

Posted Image

gave it a clean up with some decreaser and an airgun

Posted Image

placed it in the location to workout if it would fit .. and it does

Posted Image

Posted Image

The bumpers were just getting in the road so off they came :)

Posted Image

Needed to make up some brackets from old parts.

The bottom just bolted pretty much to the bottom lip

Posted Image

the top just needed some extra metal .. which I found and converted :)

Posted Image

All finished and I tested it up to temprature and connected a battery pack to see it bring the temp down .. it worked :)

Also note the FL smile headlights im gonna chuck on

Posted Image

MMMMMMM smilies

Posted Image

e30's are the only car I know of that actually look just as tuff with no bumpers as they do with them :D

• Like 1

i keep forgetting is this a street car or a race car?

If it's a race car are you going to run a toggle switch for a manual override on the fan? I know it's something i want to do on the 205 via a 3 stage switch (auto, low, high),

Yeah probably will heath. doing the wiring for the fan next week.

few adjustments to make as you can see .. I also need to buy a silicon 135 bend and alloy 89mm joiner

Looking good Josh. I should have a silicone joiner and alloy pipe for you at work. I will check tomorrow and let you know. :)

Looking good Josh. I should have a silicone joiner and alloy pipe for you at work. I will check tomorrow and let you know. :)

Oh nice!:) .. im after black if you have it availible .. if not red .. but as most it goes probably will be blue :D

Need 89mm (3inch)

Thanks!

Need 89mm (3inch)

3 1/2 in!! And airbox should sit lower????

my internal conversion chart has never been great. Anyways its 89mm I need.

Yeah, you should see the mocked up model I have for ollie with all the changes written on it. Hes going to hate me :(

That card cutter is epic, does a real good job.

That card cutter is epic, does a real good job.

haha yeah I kind of feel a bit nasty cutting just cardboard on it. Its a 1/2 million $$$ cutter to buy new. This table can cut up to 9mm thick (think vaccum packed materials and composites like carbon fiber blah blah ...

Dad just finished doing a job for these guys.

http://www.skysails.info/

He cut 115 prototype models which are being used in testing to tow ships in europe. At the moment it can tow a full container ship and save around $2500 us an hour in fuel costs.

The system is fully automated and in bad weather the sail stalls itself into the wind and can be winched back in and housed on deck. Check the vid on their website.

The biggest sails have something like 20tons towing capacity. Amazing stuff really. There are talks of it being tested on pleasure craft in AKL too :) watch this space.

Here is the super strong light weight material for it. Now in yellow for added visual safety.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Lovin it Josh.. I REALLY need an CAI also :(

Nice work Josh.

it looks like you had to move the box quite far forward so that the afm sat in the right place. Tony is right, it is sitting a little bit high, i'm not sure why though. Anyway looking forward to making the changes.

I made it move under its own power today... so very close to taking it for the first drive. Did the fan wiring tonight, just need to finish it up and get the bumpers back on. Intial thoughts on the clutch is it bites very very nicely and is not heavy at all.

Big thanks to Ray and co for spending a few hours doing brakes / clutch / power steering and GB fluids. Much appreciated fellas!

More proof that it's impossible to modify an e30 without removing the bumper at least once!

Those sky sails rock - seen them before. I'd be interested to see what size/speed pleasure craft they'd go on considering that most small, modern, powered vessels move faster than the wind. Lots of shipping companies playing with different methods of wind bludging now-a-days.

How does the card not move with that cutter?

More proof that it's impossible to modify an e30 without removing the bumper at least once!

Those sky sails rock - seen them before. I'd be interested to see what size/speed pleasure craft they'd go on considering that most small, modern, powered vessels move faster than the wind. Lots of shipping companies playing with different methods of wind bludging now-a-days.

How does the card not move with that cutter?

haha thats true! :)

yeah pretty cool stuff, not sure what where how on that .. or with the timing .. but its being POC'd at the mo.

The white belt has thousands of tiny holes in it, you can see a rather large cust coming off the cutter, a massive vaccum pump runs and sucks the card too the table during the cutting process. If you have multiple layers stacked such as material then you just put a layer plastic to vac pack the material down during the process.

Update [special edition]

wheels are back.

Specs:

5x120 PDC

fr 18x8.5 15j

rr 18x9.5 32j

polished lip

red/gold BBS 4 prong with rings caps

hub centric rings

front wheel 15mm spacers with flush cap bolt to keep it legal

reverse face, for extra toughness

black anodised bolts

custom gun metal silver with darker mix

testing the caps (not pressing them in just yet .. will let the paint harden another week)

Posted Image

custom black anodised bbs bolts

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

B)

Guest Ari Gold

First!

sh*t is b a n a n a s

Edited by Ari Gold

yeah .. I must admit when I saw them ... this happened