Lucan

What'd you do to your BMW today?

My new goodies have arrived.

Posted Image

Posted Image

looks pretty sweet man ... nice work! :)

Its a single mass flywheel,pressure plate and clutch setup.

Yep looking forward to swapping it over from the filthy dualmass.

The flywheel only ways 5.9kg which is still safe engine wise.

D1 clutch plate, oem M3 pressure plate. All bolts, bearings etc included all for a very sharp price from our forum sponcer NZAD. Darren is a top notch guy to deal with.

Well thats better than the stock 12KG! :) good stuff.

Give us a PM about bedding it in propely once its installed..

Ok will do. The slaves are a bitch to bleed.

Ok will do. The slaves are a bitch to bleed.

push the clutch fluid up

use a small soft bottle with a rubber hose on the slave cylinder nipple and force the fluid upwards

untill all the buubles come out the top.

Oh that's a different way to do it. We have a BMW pressure bleeder that seems to work well with slaves.

Oh that's a different way to do it. We have a BMW pressure bleeder that seems to work well with slaves.

does the bmw system force it from the top down??

here is another using a small oil pump can

Well thats better than the stock 12KG! :) good stuff.

Give us a PM about bedding it in propely once its installed..

Was told by waikato clutch and brake that bedding in is not required, I asked them specifically as I have heard conflicting information all over the place.

does the bmw system force it from the top down??

here is another using a small oil pump can

Yep top down. Pressurises the system to 1.5bar.

Removed the m30 from e30 project car. Intend to replace with 84 m20b20 engine with 87 m20b20 intake and electrics. Any reason this wouldn't work? Intend to turn it back into a reliable daily to give to a family member.

Edited by tcbaurpower

Took the air vents outand gave them a good clean. Probably the first time in 25 years.

Look it for one last test run, unfortunately 2nd gear is conclusively out of action ( must have been abused before the car in Japan was broken down for parts) so Ill start removing the original box tonight.

In the meantime I took a short clip of the new exhaust, this is with the exhaust bank valve closed (true dual) and rear exhaust outlet valves open. Not too bad, but sounds amazing under load.

http://youtu.be/tWA_ANB0RIs

Dad picked up his E30 Today....

Interior is flawless, dirty because we have sh*t weather and mud ect... but no rips, no cracks... everything there...

Just needs it's big gay wheels removed and shitty exhaust replaced... (getting 14" weaves and a stock exhaust)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by antil33t

Thanks Paul, pretty chuffed - although not so happy about second gear being buggered, bad gearbox, so I picked up another to swap in over the next couple of days.

floor it you pussy.

Hehe :rolleyes:

Was told by waikato clutch and brake that bedding in is not required, I asked them specifically as I have heard conflicting information all over the place.

Being violent on the clutch out of the box or slipping it in the first 500ks will cause bad glazing and in a lot of cases cause the clutch to start slipping.

Again its totally subjective with what materials your clutch itself is made from. OEM clutches are a lot softer and can handle being abused a bit more from the outset. Something like a organic/carbon comp or metal comp cant. It will just glaze/score the surface of the flywheel side.

Being violent on the clutch out of the box or slipping it in the first 500ks will cause bad glazing and in a lot of cases cause the clutch to start slipping.

Again its totally subjective with what materials your clutch itself is made from. OEM clutches are a lot softer and can handle being abused a bit more from the outset. Something like a organic/carbon comp or metal comp cant. It will just glaze/score the surface of the flywheel side.

If by violent you mean doing clutch dumpys and such things then i totally agree with you, but i wouldnt do that on a "run in" clutch either.

took it for a strop(hardly) over the hill to see the Wings over Wairarapa Air Show.Last time(on this occasion) that the DH mosquito fly s in NZ.Awesome job they have done but there still noting like a single merlin passing overhead with a bit of boost on.

If by violent you mean doing clutch dumpys and such things then i totally agree with you, but i wouldnt do that on a "run in" clutch either.

pretty much.. but worse is riding the clutch too much. its just heats up and scores/melts bits into the flywheel and pressure plate clamp areas. Saw one the other day where someone had done this and wrecked it.

I took care being a little anal about my bed in process and its the best thing I could of done. It rewards me with a sh*t ton of bite.

When my clutch heats up it because very bitey, Almost gets into the hard to drive catagory. But not quite.

So what's the trick? We don't when we fit clutches but that's all oem stuff.