Sign in to follow this  
E30-323ti

Fake E36 M3 3.2l

Thought the price was a bit too good to be true....

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-372768469.htm

Cert plated seemed a bit odd as it has the 'model' as M3, then certifies a whole bunch of OE M3 equipment.

Run the VIN into the etk says it is a '96 318is M44 Auto, explains a bit.

Also note the CIN is technically incorrect, which in this case could expose the seller if you were savvy enough.

Personally, looks like a very tidy example of an E36, with a clean M3 conversion, but is a dishonest and misleading sale (assuming the seller actually knows the details).

i thought u get M3's and then AC schnitzers not two in one.

i thought u get M3's and then AC schnitzers not two in one.

Mate, it was a combo deal. Buy one get one free.

What gave it away?

What gave it away?

Sneaky sneaky.

The fact that it has a LVV plate for the motor and gearbox lol

Sneaky sneaky.

Ha didn't look there, also the vin will start WBA rather than WBS.

Sneaky sneaky.

Ha didn't look there, also the vin will start WBA rather than WBS.

or the 3rd line of my initial post lol x2

4 Unanswered questions. I can only guess what they are in regards to.

take one import car that cant be reged in NZ as its out of date, take one e36 318 NZ reged with blown motor someone wants to just get rid of. Swap parts and re-cert = e36 m3 evo for cheap.

I think youll probably find the sellar doesnt know what is going on, I think he has a trade in and possibly been duped himself.

not that its much of a dupe, its pretty much an m3. Unibodies are the same. Would pay to look underneath and see if its running m3 running gear / sub frame and suspension.

Still hasn't answered my question re VIN hmmmm.

Dont forget Josh, the 3.2 uses the large case diff and subframe.

I'd say the guy is probably doing his research. I think the dealer has been owned. Be on the look out for a cheap yellow E36 M3 replica.

..... Would pay to look underneath and see if its running m3 running gear / sub frame and suspension.

For the benefit of others then, shall we say ha.

sh*t, Ill be in the market for an E36 M3/M3 EVO at the end of the year when I get back from overseas, I saw this and thought it looked good but seemed a little to good to be true, thanks for looking into it further. The search continues!

sh*t, Ill be in the market for an E36 M3/M3 EVO at the end of the year when I get back from overseas, I saw this and thought it looked good but seemed a little to good to be true, thanks for looking into it further. The search continues!

I wouldn't be too put off If you are after something cheap.

Just be aware of what you are buying.

Could put in a low-ball offer since it isn't what it is advertised as? (nevermind the legalities for the dealer).

Also, presuming the dash has been swapped from the donor car, 75k is pretty low for the $$ you'd be lucky to get all the running gear with that mileage for the asking price of the whole car.

The m3 unibodies have reinforced rear subframe mounting points and front strut towers

If this had been done and it has all the m3 running gear i'd say it is a good deal.

I'm sure the 4 cylinder tacho's read incorrect when mated to a 6. So that would be one way to check for the correct cluster.

I'm sure the 4 cylinder tacho's read incorrect when mated to a 6. So that would be one way to check for the correct cluster.

Motorsport cluster fitted.

Strange how none of the unanswered questions came up once the auction was pulled. I thought they normally did?

I think the seller is the guy who bought it from Turners, has been trying to sell it for quite a while. Last time it was up on TradeMe I pointed out about the plate and the fact it was an M3 conversion, he changed the pictures on the auction so that is shows the M3 plate, not the chassis VIN stamp and LTNZ cert plate but didn't really clear it up on the auction.

Again, I think the guy has been caught out, now knows it, and is just trying to get as much back on it as he can.

His original TradeMe account has been disabled despite being a 'trusted seller', so I doubt he would have disabled his own account. Possibly TradeMe were informed of what he was doing?

Edited by OneSeventy