Sign in to follow this  
dr_kahu

Thinking of getting an e39 - help/opinions/recommendations?

Hey people,

We currently have a e46 318i but we need something bigger in terms of sitting space and luggage space, but aren't looking for a wagon. I know a good deal about e46's but nothing about e39's, I have done a bit of searching about them online but ultimately I tend not to weight international forums/postings/discussions too heavily and would rather ask about them from people in NZ.

I guess I'm wanting to know tidbits of info on them, or maybe of someone can suggest a good model from the line that would suit our needs.

5 days a week it will most likely be doing a <25km round trip around/through town, and every second or third month it will be doing either a 1100km or 400km round trip to north of Gisborne or Taranaki. And every other weekend it would be variable but about a 20km round trip.

Obviously coming from a 318i, get-up-and-go isn't a great concern to us but I wouldn't mind using it as an opportunity to get something a lil' bit more 'oomph'. Oh and I wouldn't mind having cruise control and a sunroof...as wierd as it sounds lol

Hopefully our budget will be something in 15-17. In terms of buying, what is normally a recommended checklist of things to 'do' before dishing out the cash? (yeah, we never did any pre-purchase checks with any of our previous cars.... :wacko:)

Cheers,

James

For 15-17k I would look no further than a 2001+ 530i... they offer more than sufficient performance, making them a BMW worth owning!

You could afford a 540i in that price range too, but Id say the 6 cylinder would be adequate for your needs (and be cheaper on fuel / running / maintenance costs)

Micheal's on the money there.

look for as low mileage as possible with service history.

They are great cars and reasonable to run if they are looked after.

+1 to what has been said before having owned a 530i for 5 and half years and got to know it well. The e39 have their good and bad points as do any vehicle. If purchasing again I would try for a late 2002, after September or early 2003 assemble date as by this time nearly all the items had become standard on them and any bugs ironed out. The 530's are the best in my opinion of the bunch for balance, power to weight and handling could be biased haha!. One takes it that we are talking about the petrol version but would not rule out the diesel only a second slower I believe. Drive as many as you can to see what you like and don't like take your time because you never know what might pop up. Finally when you have decided get it checked over by someone that knows the car type thoroughly can save you $$$$$. The old e39's seem to be hitting their stride now.

Don't get anything below the 528i. E39s are heavier cars than the E46 hence why engine size matters. 520i, 523i are highly unpopular due to lower power to weight ratio.

The best choice between economy and performance is the 530i Motorsport.

Personally 540i would be my choice (no money for M5).

***GENERAL THOUGHTS FOR ALL E39***

- Reliability for my e39 seems to be so far so good.

- Easily carries 5 adults.

- Timeless styling

- Economy & performance is pretty evenly distributed.

Although at times when I want to drive hard, I regret buying a 528i over a 540i thinking I could save more petrol.

Edited by andy_e39

+1 for the 530i. I am really happy with mine! I was tempted by the 540i but wanted an M-kitted one and they were a bit hard to find down in Christchurch in good nick. Once I drove a couple of 530i s I realised that this was probably all I was going to need anyway. Real world around town fuel consumption isn't fantastic, but it's not bad on the open road. I was getting 13.x l/100kms sitting in traffic averaging around 23 km/h but open road cruising sees that drop to 8.x l/100kms. My Fuelly record below hasn't recorded any open road driving.

If you are looking for luggage space, I am sure you are aware that the split folding seats was a cost option, as well as a ski-port, not all cars have it. Another thing to consider is on Jap imports the nav computer is mounted in the boot on the underside of the parcel tray.

Posted Image

This can limit what you can put in there a fair bit, depending on the what it is you are loading. Soft bags, shopping etc OK, large rigid suitcases are a bit of a nuisance.

Rear seats are fine, but it's not massively spacious back there, looking at the overall size of the vehicle they are slightly more cosy than you'd think.

Driving wise, great car, the 3.0 litre is plenty, though it is a heavier vehicle so I guess that explains the round town fuel consumption. I thought the 2.5 was just not quite enough of an engine for what I wanted, but still adeqaute. Mine has M-Tech suspension, handles really well, but is a touch harder than I'd like, especially over all the potholes on the shagged roads down here.

At your budget I would think you'd get a really tidy, late model year, lower mileage example. I'd definitely, as Allan has said, get the latest model years as they can have a bit more fruit on them. Be aware of the usual cooling system gremlins at around the 100,000 km mark. My personal preference would be to get an M-sport one, I like the look, the standard ones have the whiff of old man about them, in my opinion!

Edited by tmase

I picked up my '96 528i for under $5K in March and have spent $2-3K on it since. It's done 164K kms but is in great condition. A few minor niggles but nothing costly (so far) and looks the business. In hindsight would have liked a bit more grunt but the 2.8L straight six is smooth and powerful enough (just). I'd like a 540 or M5 but no coin and I doubt I'll find a better looking E39 for anywhere close to what I paid.

Definitely avoid the 520s and 523s - not enough pulling power so they're actually less economical than a 528 or 530.

My advice... Get one, they're very solid, reliable and classically designed cars. Get a late model 530 for economy get a 540 for more fun!

Our 525i is manual, and especially after doing the Vanos seals, it's actually very quick - heaps of torque, but really goes once the revs are up, although an auto would clearly be slower and probably a bit average. I would VERY much prefer the 530i, but I have never seen a manual one over here.

I'd say the 530i is a REALLY good choice too, espesially for the money. The V8s are awesome, but for everyday driving, the 3.0 isn't that far behind - it just lacks the instant grunt. The V8's are NOT hungry if you drive them nice, but they are a bit more to service (mate has a 540i Touring, and the engine

I'd say any E39 you buy will probably want at least $1500 spare for little bits and pieces, if you want it to be right. As the milage gets up though, it could easily be more. Although that price range should get you a very good one.

Like Jeffbebe, I reckon I've probably spent $3K on parts to get ours up to scratch, although I always do things as a set while it's all apart (complete rear suspension except shocks and upper mounts which are OK, and can be done easy later) is waiting in the box, it was about $1200 - bushes, ball joints, links and arms. Do the Vanos seals - regardless of milage, they were crap from new and faults have been reported as low as 50,000 on new replacement BMW Vanos units (they continue to use the same as original - I guess so they don't have to admit fault and pay for shitloads of unit replacements) - get the Beisan type seals, or similar.

The boys are pretty much on the money.....if youre not wanting to go 540 then the latest model 530 you can afford is definitely the way to go.

I wouldnt agree that the 540 is more expensive to maintain or run however..just my 2c

If it has a roundel on the bonnet then it will cost more than a T on the bonnet, all in alll pretty much the same costs, unless it has an M on the boot then it is slightly more due to being a bit dearer for parts.

530i face lift would be a very nice car to own, motorsport version even better, 520, 523, 525 are all nice cars depending on the option list ticked when bought new. Vanos and the later models with valvetronic etc are still plenty powerful enough for round town and open roads.

Agree with comments raised in above posts but do argue on the 523/5 (3 or 5 badge depending if Jap or Euro) being under powered. We find ours quite adequate & plenty of people I know with them agree. I certainly wouldn't entertain a 520 though - they are slow.

While the 525i is not a rocket ship - it still does perform & is not a slouch.

I would, if getting another, go for a late 530i, they are the pick of the drives - barring the M5 of course.

528i is the older version car & was replaced with the 530i.

Agree with comments raised in above posts but do argue on the 523/5 (3 or 5 badge depending if Jap or Euro) being under powered. We find ours quite adequate & plenty of people I know with them agree. I certainly wouldn't entertain a 520 though - they are slow.

While the 525i is not a rocket ship - it still does perform & is not a slouch.

I would, if getting another, go for a late 530i, they are the pick of the drives - barring the M5 of course.

528i is the older version car & was replaced with the 530i.

Certainly no slouch, but coming from second car being a Turbo AWD Subie, I can really feel the power difference between the two.

And yes I would agree the power from a 525i would be adequate for everyday use. Maybe its just me seeking for more power.

I drove the 525 and 530 back to back when buying, the 530 had more low end power and is more effortless when passing on the open road. Mine is maily driven out of town on the weekends as I ride the train and the bus mostly. Hence why I got the 530, I was also keen on the anniversary one I ended up getting.

They are both good I would lean towards the 530 as it has just a little bit more power where it counts IMO. But if you're going to be sitting in traffic all the time and rolling round the city then the smaller engine might be good.

All in all there is almost no difference between them under normal (light footed ) driving.

Wow thanks for the responses people, much appreciated and they are really helpful :D

@tmase - I wasn't aware of the split fold option, or the player mount position in the trunk so cheers!

Hopefully get the ball rolling this week on looking around in depth and then actually getting one during the next two or three weeks. I definitely think I'll look into a recent 530i should the right combination of 'things' We're looking for (color etc etc) come up on it, or maybe look into the newest 540i that we can get and that meets our checklist.

Thanks again!

Wow thanks for the responses people, much appreciated and they are really helpful :D

@tmase - I wasn't aware of the split fold option, or the player mount position in the trunk so cheers!

Hopefully get the ball rolling this week on looking around in depth and then actually getting one during the next two or three weeks. I definitely think I'll look into a recent 530i should the right combination of 'things' We're looking for (color etc etc) come up on it, or maybe look into the newest 540i that we can get and that meets our checklist.

Thanks again!

The split fold back seat that Tim refers to is a Euro option.

His car, like mine, is the Jap variant, & for some strange reason in the E39 the Japs decided to spec the cars to house the nav unit in a cabinet under the parcel shelf & the radio & video modules on the back of the back seat (seen in Tim's pic with the two bulges in the boot liner). This obviously negates the option of split fold seats.

Euro version has all three units (when fitted) mounted in the rear L/H corner in front of the tail light.

Some cars have the ski port in the centre (ours does) but most I have seen dont seem to.

Contrary to what is often quoted, the Jap spec car is often higher specced than the NZ car. Many will have the monitor in the dash - means TV & nav (albeit Jap nav but can be converted) along with heated seats & commonly leather.

Some later NZ cars came with monitor & TV (no nav but prewired for). This option not very common though.

NZ cars often have an alarm & usually PDC (park distance control) Jap cars rarely do.

NZ (Euro) cars have RF remote - good, the Jap car uses IR - the range is crap!

The 6cyl car is widelyl regarded as the best "balanced" drive & the 530i the best 6.

6 cyl cars use rack & pinion steering, the V8's, due to space, have a steering box.

That said though there is always an attraction to a V8 :)

Thanks again!

I drove a couple when I was buying and test drove a few 528's and one 530 and liked the 530 alot , But the moment i planted the foot in a 540 I brought it. I was not bothered about economy as it only matters if you do alot of k's .

They say it's possible to get 9.5 ish /100 but round town its more like 12.5 and open road is 10.5 I do like to put the foot down.

Thanks dude and thanks everyone again. But oh so bummed the E46 finally had enough a couple of days ago and quit (yeah you'd think it'd be an even more prime time to move on up but I've got to weigh things all up again)

The Trans has gone-busted (most likely due to its 'bad parents') so having to do a slight re-think :(

I thought i'd never say this, but having both owned a 528i and a 540i, id recommend the 528i or possibly the 530i. The v8 power is nice, but for nz roads it's pretty much overkill. Even playing traffic light grand prix, the dsc will kick in too easily, or you will get tonnes of wheel spin.. all subjective to what you enjoy i guess.

If you're lugging extra load along on longer journeys, the 528i's passing abilities become that of a 520i with no luggage or passengers.

Watch out for higher mileage v8 examples, especially the sep 98' onwards models. Timing chain guides/rails and all the associated parts/labour will run u up in to 4digits very quickly. Don't be fooled by low priced m-tech II examples..

I thought i'd never say this, but having both owned a 528i and a 540i, id recommend the 528i or possibly the 530i. The v8 power is nice, but for nz roads it's pretty much overkill. Even playing traffic light grand prix, the dsc will kick in too easily, or you will get tonnes of wheel spin.. all subjective to what you enjoy i guess.

If you're lugging extra load along on longer journeys, the 528i's passing abilities become that of a 520i with no luggage or passengers.

Watch out for higher mileage v8 examples, especially the sep 98' onwards models. Timing chain guides/rails and all the associated parts/labour will run u up in to 4digits very quickly. Don't be fooled by low priced m-tech II examples..

Thanks man :)