Sign in to follow this  
M3_E46

Just bought an E46 M3!

Hi guys,

As the title states I've just bought an E46 M3, and I think I've fallen in love again! After owning a number of Japanese performance cars from Honda Type R's through to my last car, a Mitsubishi Evo 9, I didn't really know whether I was making the right decision going Euro, but I'm stoked I did.

I have always loved the E46 M3 and found myself in the position to buy one at the age of 19, an opportunity which I didn't think would come about until much later in life.

After searching for a while I finally came across one which ticked most of the boxes for me, it's a 2003.5 SMG2 done 64,000km's, NZ new with full service history. It has the factory option 19" wheels and a sunroof. I really wanted the 2003.5 because of the LED tail lights, and the 19" wheels as personally I think the 18" factory wheels look a bit small. The sunroof was a bonus, and after driving both a manual and an SMG I figured I'd go with the SMG as there was simply nothing like an 8000rpm shift in one and after owning all manual cars previously I'd gotten a bit sick of them in the Auckland traffic, to me it seems like the best of both worlds.

Aftermarket modification wise it has Sebring exhausts, an ECU remap and a slightly different air intake. On the looks side of things it has carbon fibre shift paddles inside and matte black front grilles and matte black vents in the front guards. It also has black front and side indicators.

As for future plans I keep changing my mind but I originally was thinking a carbon fibre Hamann style front lip and a CSL style rear lip around the exhausts. I also have a set of E92 M3 wheels that I have the opportunity to put on for free and I personally love the way they look on E46 M3's but a lot of other people hate them so any opinions would be valued.

Anyways if anyone know's anything about the car any information would be greatly appreciated! And I hope to see some of you guys around at the meets etc.

Cheers!

P.S. I tried uploading photo's but it kept on failing, so will try again later!

Welcome - you will have to sort the photo upload - I have considered the E92 wheels but in my opinion they look so similar to the E46 that any significant spend is hard to justify - if I had a set sitting around though I would definitely fit them as the 19' E46 front rims don't appeal to me (high offset results in a huge gap to the wheel arch and the "curl back" spoke looks horrible compared to the rears)

Welcome, great choice in car, enjoy!

Scott! My old tourism buddy, finally you have bought a real car hahaha.

Im very jealous man. The e92 wheels sound like a mint idea, would make it stand out from the rest!

Might have to bring it round to Bodleys place one time and take me 4 a test drive hahaha!

I completely agree central, I'm not a fan of the fronts at all, but quite like the rears, and as I can have them for nothing I think I might give it a go, they just need new tyres. However, just before i bought my car the previous owner put 4 new Continentals on, so will do it if I can swap the tyres from the E46 rims, have tried searching multiple forums but can't find any info so if any of you guys know that'd be much appreciated!

Haha Sam, didn't know you were on here! I've already been to Bodleys, surprised you didn't hear me! Will have to catch up bro!

Welcome, Good Choice!

Should be a nice change trying out a German performance car.

It would be an interesting comparison coming to an M3 from an EVO 9, given they are a very capable car!

Cheers Michael. Yeah they're both very good cars, but completely different. Obviously the M3 has a smoother pull because there's no turbo lag, but the Evo handled so well, obviously being AWD, but no matter how much I tried to get it out of shape it always dragged itself around the corner with no real scary moments, it was an easy car to drive fast. Whereas obviously you can't do that with the M3, I personally think the M3 is more of a drivers car, you have to concentrate and try hard to make it go fast.

Welcome.

I have recently bought a e46 m3, i was exact same as you "I think I've fallen in love again!" such a nice car

cheers

very nice! Get in contact next time i do a round of euro plates will tidy up the rear end a lot! nice car

Welcome! That's a great looking car dude. SMGs <3

Those 18" don't look *too* small imo, but the 19" do indeed look good if you plan on installing some in the future.

Cheers guys, thats awesome Andy, really want one for the front as well as it has the big Euro size mount.

They're already the 19"s Arma! :( They don't look too small do they?? ;)

Nice car. Factory 19's look fine , don't go any larger ! It won't corner as well. Get some light 18 rims and super sticky tyres for track days (Mind you 18 inch factory ones as same weight as your forged 19's)

Nailing it in 2nd / 3rd brings a huge grin, hard edged noise of the 3.2 six reving out is very addictive.

Same colour as mine !

Cheers guys, thats awesome Andy, really want one for the front as well as it has the big Euro size mount.

They're already the 19"s Arma! :( They don't look too small do they?? ;)

Haha, that would explain why they didn't look too small then :D. I agree with AJ, keep the 19's, they look great.

Thanks guys, still undecided on the rims, contemplating a set of black 19's now but not sure, change my mind all the time!

But Neal you're right, and there's nothing like being in 6th on the motorway and clicking the left paddle a couple of times, transforms from a sensible daily driver to a gt car in under a second, brings a grin to my face every time!

Oh hey AJ, didn't know you were on here! Will definitely have to catch up bro.

Good luck with the SMG, I've heard too many stories of it breaking.

Congrats on the new car, hope you enjoy! I can imagine the cheesy grin on your face every time you floor it.

SMG is fine for the most part. Pump failure is the most common but not too stupid money. If the car thumps gears get a clutch realignment program run over it. Private message M3_Power (tom) he should be able to help you out.

SMG is fine for the most part. Pump failure is the most common but not too stupid money. If the car thumps gears get a clutch realignment program run over it. Private message M3_Power (tom) he should be able to help you out.

Someone told me you can change an SMG to a standard manual box for not too much money.

Fact or Fiction?

Someone told me you can change an SMG to a standard manual box for not too much money.

Fact or Fiction?

Can be done for approx. $3000 @ Hellbm.

Just interested in how many on here have had smg II pump failures ? Anyone ?

Just interested in how many on here have had smg II pump failures ? Anyone ?

160 k`s on HELLM3 and still going strong. Did a re-alignment this morning. One word (around the Dairy Flat backroads testing)= `WOW`. SMG rules no matter what the detractors have to say.

Have an smg pump in stock with no enquiries over the last 2 years. Only related sale was for a smg control module about 12 mnths ago.

Wev'e done a few on E36 and E46 and did a V10 one last week.

Wev'e done a few on E36 and E46 and did a V10 one last week.

Your conclusion is?