Sign in to follow this  
jjs

$25k weekend toy - ideas?

I'm keen to get a weekend car that I can have some fun in for under $25k. I'm open to pretty much anything, but ideally I would like something quick and the ability to put the roof down.

The one I keep coming back to is a Porsche Boxster, should be able to get a good facelift NZ new 2.7 within budget. Has anyone on her owned one? Are running costs reasonable.

I haven 't driven a Z4, but if it's anything like a Z3 i'm not interested.

A left field option would be a mid 90's Mercedes E Class cabriolet (W124), this won't go anywhere near satisfying the performance criteria, but there is something about the idea of cruising along in big four seater convertible and also a possible future classic?

Also toying with the idea of a classic, but not sure whether the up keep could be justified. If I went older a Alfa Spyder floats my boat.

Is there something I haven't thought of that could be a winner?

Edited by Crockett

Does it have to be a Euro ? I have an 01 AP1 S2000 that's pretty fun and will be for sale soon.

Does it have to be a Euro ? I have an 01 AP1 S2000 that's pretty fun and will be for sale soon.

That could be an idea. I drove one years ago but at the time thought it was quite hard wok to get the power out of the vehicle. I should maybe drive one again to refresh my memory.

I did think of MX5 for a moment, but to be completely honest couldn't be bothered justifying why I bought a hair dressers car!

Edited by Crockett

'You only buy a Boxster coz you can't afford a 911' ... much along the same thread that 'only fat chicks drink Diet Coke' .... it is what you will be labelled with.

Having owned a Z3 and a Z4, I would say that the Z4 is worth considering but only in the 3.0l motor. The 2.2l has good sound but slow as. I was happy with the Z4 in performance and the electric roof etc

That could be an idea. I drove one years ago but at the time thought it was quite hard wok to get the power out of the vehicle. I should maybe drive one again to refresh my memory.

Hard work? you said weekend car not daily drive,usually a weekend car is something you take out and wring its neck and dont drive weekly because its hard work in traffic exactly like a s2000 or even a lotus

the fact you have to have 5000 rpm onboard at all times is the whole point,the noise is fantastic but you wouldnt want to drive 4hrs in it with the roof on.

Maybe You need to rethink just what you are actually buying it for.

I did think of MX5 for a moment, but to be completely honest couldn't be bothered justifying why I bought a hair dressers car!

What about a TT something like this

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/...n-354322506.htm

those 1.8t motors are in everything and quite cheap to get parts or you can get the 3.2 6cyl

lot more practical and classy than a mazda.

people that say theyre hairdressers cars are just ignorant,

Edited by kwhelan

Lotus 7 replica? Would certainly satisfy the performance with the right motor in it, and hasn't got a roof to start with!

'You only buy a Boxster coz you can't afford a 911' ... much along the same thread that 'only fat chicks drink Diet Coke' .... it is what you will be labelled with.

Having owned a Z3 and a Z4, I would say that the Z4 is worth considering but only in the 3.0l motor. The 2.2l has good sound but slow as. I was happy with the Z4 in performance and the electric roof etc

That's bullshit. You drive a Boxster because you like driving. Unfortunately you cant get a decent one for 25k and most are Tiptronic.. of and they can be expensive to maintain if you get a bad one.

I would buy this and sped the rest or cigars.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/...n-486957206.htm

Oh no, please not the TT, get a 3.2 Straight six ;) Be a man! do the right thing "Buy an M3"

Good idea, ideally I would like NZ new with history but the one you have linked gives a lot of "bang for buck".

I would love to get an E30 convertible, but I'm very fussy. If anyone knows of a 325i manual facelift NZ new travelled under 150km let me know!

those 1.8t motors are in everything and quite cheap to get parts or you can get the 3.2 6cyl

lot more class than a mazda

For similar money I would much rather go the Boxster

lot more practical and classy than a mazda.

people that say theyre hairdressers cars are just ignorant,

1.8t TT's are good in the twisties but the turbo is just too small and runs out of puff, leaving you needing more.

I've owned a Boxster and whilst being able to afford a 911 at the time, I couldn't justify the double price tag. I couldn't care less what people thought of me to be honest, at the end of the day they sound great, look good and handle unbelievably well.

That, and I know people who rate the Boxster/Cayman higher than the 911, these guys can afford and have owned lots of exotics too ;)

Plus if your intention is to pick up women they wont know the difference.. so its really a select group of males that will not be impressed by a Boxster.. So. If you don want to attract males and like driving by a Boxster.

Edited by apex

I would love to get an E30 convertible, but I'm very fussy. If anyone knows of a 325i manual facelift NZ new travelled under 150km let me know!

325i Tick

Manual Tick

Facelift Cross (but chrome bumpers are where its at with E30s)

NZ New Cross (but in better condition than most NZ new even rust wise - always been a summer only car)

Under 150km Tick

FSH Tick

Been in family since new Tick

Pic here..

\/ \/ \/ \/

Close at 27k. Boxster S in Manual is the one you want.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/...n-495138408.htm

Yes enquired about that yesterday, gutted to find out it was already sold. Will look out for a low km 2.7 I think as there aren't many 3.2's in my price range.

325i Tick

Manual Tick

Facelift Cross (but chrome bumpers are where its at with E30s)

NZ New Cross (but in better condition than most NZ new even rust wise - always been a summer only car)

Under 150km Tick

FSH Tick

Been in family since new Tick

Pic here..

\/ \/ \/ \/

Your does look like a nice one, but for some reason I only want a facelift.

Now this one looks perfect, if only it was a 325i and in NZ! Maybe I should buy one in the UK, do a road trip around Europe and bring back. Sadly I don't think it will be old enought to get within the classic exemption for the compliance rules.

Plus if your intention is to pick up women they wont know the difference.. so its really a select group of males that will not be impressed by a Boxster.. So. If you don want to attract males and like driving by a Boxster.

Actually Porsches only attract the attention of other MALES especially on the 50-60 age group.

Females don't give a damn about a Porsche regardless whether it's a 911 or Boxster. Their comments would be 'nice Carerra' :-) because that's what's written at the back.

Edited by 318Touring

So I think I will stick with the original plan of looking for a nice NZ new Boxster.

Has anyone on here owned one? If so, what were the servicing costs like?

Guest Ari Gold

Girls only give a sh*t about your Porsche when they find out the motor is in the front.

Actually Porsches only attract the attention of other MALES especially on the 50-60 age group.

Females don't give a damn about a Porsche regardless whether it's a 911 or Boxster. Their comments would be 'nice Carerra' :-) because that's what's written at the back.

Exactly. So the only person who cares you are driving a Boxster instead of a 911 are males, and they probably drive something rather average anyways.

I painted the wheels and headlights black on my wife's car and had I not pointed it out weeks later she would have never know, I think they just look at cars as a generally blurry shape and as long as everything is working they are happy..

So I think I will stick with the original plan of looking for a nice NZ new Boxster.

Has anyone on here owned one? If so, what were the servicing costs like?

I have about three years ago, a 98 Boxster 2.5 manual NZ New. Not sure on servicing as I made sure it was done prior, but it can't be too much more than a BMW? I know they're cheaper than a 911.

post-2864-1346827713.jpg

Has anyone seen this Boxster around AKL? I think this is one of the hottest Boxsters I've seen...

post-15489-1346828826.jpg

post-15489-1346828831.jpg

I think you've either gotta love it or hate it, I like my shine!