Sign in to follow this  
uhlsta

What to buy?!

Hey people

I'm in a bit of a dilemma on what to buy.

The options are:

2000 E46 323ci NZ NEW - 179ks - Silver

or

2001 E39 525i Motorsport - 157ks - Silver

They both drive well. The 323ci has leather interior(sport), 525i only cloth

Which is going to end up being more reliable, and value for money.

They are both around the same price!

Thanks

Hey people

I'm in a bit of a dilemma on what to buy.

The options are:

2000 E46 323ci NZ NEW - 179ks - Silver

or

2001 E39 525i Motorsport - 157ks - Silver

They both drive well. The 323ci has leather interior(sport), 525i only cloth

Which is going to end up being more reliable, and value for money.

They are both around the same price!

Thanks

The one that has been better looked after for the last 12 years will be the most reliable.

E46 all the way. The 525i is a bit of a slug and you will have much more fun in the 323i

e46 coupe will hold its value better too , and use less fuel , more fun to drive

Everything else being equal (condition) I would go for the E46 coupe over the 525i.

as above, unless you need the space etc. i know i couldnt daily a 5 series

I thought you do Andy?

Essentially the same engine and components so like Graham says, the one that has been looked after, well maintained etc is the one to choose from.

I thought you do Andy?

Essentially the same engine and components so like Graham says, the one that has been looked after, well maintained etc is the one to choose from.

hell no! I have a company car for that most of the time, either an Econovan or a Mondeo (ssh keep that quiet!), or the E30 if i dont have it on that day. The current E34 is way too thirsty, and work is only 5-10 km from my house, so would be always running cold. I only daily 5 series's if i have brought one to do up and sell and i dislike the experience lol.

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

as above, unless you need the space etc. i know i couldnt daily a 5 series

What makes a 5 series so unsuitable for daily driving? :huh: I usually train to work but if I'm working longer hours in the office I'll drive.

Edited by NZ BMW

What makes a 5 series so unsuitable for daily driving? :confused: I usually train to work but if I'm working longer hours in the office I'll drive.

oh well thats just me. but i dont like the size, parking is a bitch, can squeeze through traffic etc, and unnessesary fuel consumption. others will disagree and say a 5 is better BECAUSE its bigger etc, thats why some of us daily MX5s and some daily Range Rovers.

For practicality and value the E46. I daily drive an E39 528i. I love it - particularly how it looks but it ain't cheap to run as a daily over short distances. Haven't driven a 525 but I imagine it's going to be considerably more sluggish than a 323 which is a much lighter machine. That said my 528 might not win any drag races but it's no slouch either.

If you want comfort and style look for a cheaper E39 w/cloth then spend the difference upgrading the cloth to leather (costs about $2k).

Wouldn't consider parking a great problem anywhere in New Zealand unless your driving a Dodge truck.

oh well thats just me. but i dont like the size, parking is a bitch, can squeeze through traffic etc, and unnessesary fuel consumption. others will disagree and say a 5 is better BECAUSE its bigger etc, thats why some of us daily MX5s and some daily Range Rovers.

Interesting view point.

After putting almost 35,000KMs on mine, daily driving it, I don't have any issues with parking or squeezing through traffic. The fuel consumption is hefty but bearable... I would like a cheap runabout but not viable.

Edit:

In response to Jeff:

I could never see a reason to upgrade to leather seats for 2K.. Seems quite uneconomical when the car is probably only 10-15K. I suppose if you're planning on keeping the car for quite awhile then it could be worthwhile to you and everybody prioritises differently.

Edited by Tristan

Edit:

In response to Jeff:

I could never see a reason to upgrade to leather seats for 2K.. Seems quite uneconomical when the car is probably only 10-15K. I suppose if you're planning on keeping the car for quite awhile then it could be worthwhile to you and everybody prioritises differently.

Agreed - but if leather in the E46 was a selling point I was pointing out that he could probably find an E39 that's cheaper because the interior's a bit fooked and he could use what he saves to upgrade to leather, which ain't that pricey.

Personally, I'd go E39 every time but that's because I think it's one of the best designed sedans of all time but as an owner I know it's not that practical (and by practical I mean economical).

Edited by jeffbebe

Agreed - but if leather in the E46 was a selling point I was pointing out that he could probably find an E39 that's cheaper because the interior's a bit fooked and he could use what he saves to upgrade to leather, which ain't that pricey.

Personally, I'd go E39 every time but that's because I think it's one of the best designed sedans of all time but as an owner I know it's not that practical (and by practical I mean economical).

Yeah I agree with you here. I obviously have a biased opinion too but I love my E39, unfortunately I think she'll be gone soon but have really enjoyed it in the time I've had it.

In regards to recovering seats, I've just gotten a quote for an unrelated project (ironic and somewhat hypocritical I know, but it was out of curiosity on a vehicle worth a lot more than your average E39)

It'll be $2200 to have the seats fully recovered in a mid-size sedan with italian leather incl. 4 year warranty. Could probably find a cheaper place but that's a starting point.

In relation to OP's question. I'd take the 525i. I've driven a couple and they were good cars. Fuel consumption I'd imagine would be much better than mine... It isn't a sports car but they're nice cars.

Pictures?

IMO any 4 door sedan will give better resale value at the other end if you're worried about this, it should also sell faster.

Is this the 323ci your referring to? Click Me

FULL SERVICE HISTORY FROM NEW > Import.

In my opinion - at least you know what has and has not been done to the car.

Upon seeing that I'd probably go for the 323. Full service history, NZ new, looks tidy as well.

Looks good. Throw on a nice set of wheels and bobs your fathers brother.

some daily Range Rovers.

Hey! Don't knock it til you've tried it! :D

It's good fun having a big (thirsty) car. Just gotta remember it's not so much fun when you can't afford to take it anywhere :unsure: