Sign in to follow this  
jeffbebe

M or no M?

A mate of mine had a Mazda Bongo (ONLY because it was imported full of interesting car parts - it was just a box, for shipping effectively). Apparently it was an ///M

My econovan has Pentium 4 stickers :P

Those are the M5 wheels right? They look good. There's a v. tidy silver Msport 540i parked regularly on Brown St in Ponsonby with style 65s. You should leave a note offering a swap!

What have you got on there now?

yup thats them

I have got my eye on some, but waiting for the opportunity to get them .. its taking a long time, but I'm patient. They also need a refurb. Thats going to be a bitch to get the shadow chrome perfect again. I have been offered lots of reps 65's .. just say no. :D

I have the alpina looking ones in 8 and 9 inch. I've already been offered to sell them to someone so will do that when these 65's come up.

^^^ Yep mine are Shadow Chrome BBS reps, not staggered either but then it's not a 540i/M5

I have Style 32's painted Shadow Chrome. Am interested to swap for Style 65s + cash your way. Anyone keen? :P

So if one were to fit the correct items i.e suspension, wheels, interior seats, steering wheel, body kit would it qualify for the "M" or is it just another faded novelty from a by gone error?.

Nope because it's not a genuine Motorsport vehicle from factory.

I was interested in what determines an M badge. I've got nothing against cars having the badge if they have Msport equipment but I think it's a bit naff to badge a car with a car it's not (i.e. badging a 520 with an M5 emblem). Will stick to my 528i badge on mine!

They also need a refurb. Thats going to be a bitch to get the shadow chrome perfect again.

I checked out a few places before I got my wheels refurbished. Arrow wheels had the most convincing shadow chrome - that's the dark hypersilver, right? - but they were also the most expensive (by a country mile). I ended out using Manukau auto and tyre centre and saved $150 per wheel, but then my wheels aren't shadow chrome.

I was interested in what determines an M badge.

The official line is the M badge is fitted to a car that has the FULL Motorsport Pack fitted as an option, this is the option S337 listed on some of these VINs, this pack includes the body, kit, interior, headliner, badges on sills, M style alloys, steering wheel and the sport suspension (but this can be taken out of the pack for those that want a softer ride). Also, not all body colours can be selected with M-Sport pack and some colours (like Monte Carlo Blue) are ONLY available with M-sport packs.

So in the case of the car with just the suspension option, no this would not have a badge from the factory, no a 116i with one option would not get a badge Clinton (and the S337 Pack is not available on the 116i either!).

I've got nothing against cars having the badge if they have Msport equipment but I think it's a bit naff to badge a car with a car it's not (i.e. badging a 520 with an M5 emblem).

It's a bit like all the knock-off Ralph Lauren, Burberry, Luis Vuiton, Rolex, etc. it gets to the point where if people see the badge they think it's fake, even if it's genuine. If you are buying it just for the badge, or putting the badges on for effect, then it kind of defeats the object. Personally I preferred the M-Sport version as it makes it an overall more attractive package to me.

As for putting M3 badges on anything other than a genuine M3, that is blaspemy to me. It is just about all I can do to stop myself ramming the E46 318i Wagon that has an M3 badge on the boot when I see it most mornings!!

Edited by E30 325i Rag-Top

I just don't get it.... Unless you've avoided registering the car there's a little card in the windscreen that says exactly what it isn't. Who are they trying to convince sticking M5 badges on the back of 520s?

I bought mine from a dealer - I asked about the M badge (i.e. 'this doesn't look like a motorsport car') and his response was "they give them an M badge if they've got nice wheels" - I guess that's an example of how the brand can be cheapened if you start to stick it on everything.

It was much harder to fake your M car when it was only M3s and M5s... But then BMW probably sold fewer cars then.

EDIT: Yes, he was a bit of dodgy salesman but I got the car cheaply so I won't shame him by naming him!

Edited by jeffbebe

I have Style 32's painted Shadow Chrome. Am interested to swap for Style 65s + cash your way. Anyone keen? :P

What are the specs on them and what sort of money are you after? Have 18x8 that need repainting but really want 9's for the rear

Also Ive done a full m-kit on the touring including mirrors and side moldings, will also have sport seats and wheel when I get round to sourcing some, does that warrant a ///M badge? Got it with nothing on the back

my 535 had nothing but an m badge,had the sport suspension sport steering wheel ,sports seats,body kit.In fact i think BMWNZ specced it to look exactly like an e34 m5 cos they knew they wouldnt be selling many E34 M5s.However i i spec debadge thats what i want.I dont want an M badge even if germany think thats what i want

Speaking of badges, across the lane from my inlaws, there's an import 520i, Motorsport wheels only and an M5 badge on the back, actually not a bad looking car, E39, silver, but the M5 badge? Especially when an E39 530d would blow it into the middle of next week lol.

It's a bit like all the knock-off Ralph Lauren, Burberry, Luis Vuiton, Rolex, etc. it gets to the point where if people see the badge they think it's fake, even if it's genuine.

Those knock offs are more like this Honda Civic pretending to be an E46 M3:

Posted Image

Most of the ones we're talking about are actual BMWs - it's more like buying a Rolex watch and trying to convince everyone it's a grandfather clock.

Speaking of badges, across the lane from my inlaws, there's an import 520i, Motorsport wheels only and an M5 badge on the back, actually not a bad looking car, E39, silver, but the M5 badge? Especially when an E39 530d would blow it into the middle of next week lol.

Think this is the same one I saw a wee while ago, I had a chuckle to myself about it

Think this is the same one I saw a wee while ago, I had a chuckle to myself about it

Yup, lives out East Taieri.

Posted Image

Most of the ones we're talking about are actual BMWs - it's more like buying a Rolex watch and trying to convince everyone it's a grandfather clock.

My god that is just horrendous - plain wrong in so many ways. Is that even for real, or some kind of twisted joke that I don't understand?

Almost as weird as the big old 7 series on TradeMe that the guy has stuck a "Hybrid" badge off a Honda on the back of - why would you???

And I thought the Chinese built BMW rip-offs were bad??

That is so strange, I cannot for the life of me understand why you would buy a Civic if you wanted a Beemer, and then turn it into that mess??

As for putting M3 badges on anything other than a genuine M3, that is blaspemy to me. It is just about all I can do to stop myself ramming the E46 318i Wagon that has an M3 badge on the boot when I see it most mornings!!

I agree...there's a bloke floating around my area with a 535 diesel with an M5 badge on the boot lid...I mean who's he kidding..

anyway my car has a m badge on it but i refuse to take it off... 'cause it looks cool bro :P

Bugger ! Ive got an SMG and a "M" badge

Must take the M badge off the car as it doesn't have a clutch pedal.

Mind you, I never was able to change gear in 1/10th of a second with the foot flat on the right hand pedal on the old manual or rev match down shifts on a trailing throttle ..... what am I missing by not having a clutch pedal :rolleyes:

Good point :unsure: After 700,000 kms of pushing clutches in every day for 25 years Im finaly over it.

Thinks ..... Must be able to make the Mini club car into an SMG somehow .... :lol: