Sign in to follow this  
jeffbebe

M or no M?

I have an engine from an m3 but stuffed into a car with a M badge on it thats not an m3. Oh noes this thread just got more scadelous.

Mind you, I never was able to change gear in 1/10th of a second with the foot flat.

Ha who are you trying to kid. SMG change =3 seconds.

look lets be honest, there arn't many "true" Motorsport cars now. Because back in the day a motorsport car was assembled in a seperate motorsport factory...virtually hand built, numbered and with limited runs. Which is what made them desirable and collectable.

You see a lot of 318 e46 with body kits and flash wheels that make 'em look hard, but a bog standard e46 325 up, or in fact just about any car is gonna smoke 'em...

anyway it doesn't really matter eh, xmas is nearly here and the suns out..finally :)

:blink:

1M, M3, M5, M6 X5M and X6M are all still made in the Motorsport factory. They are still Motorsport vehicles.

Oh no, sounds like can of worms being opened now...

..but you're Ok Hybrid, your badge doesnt say M3, if it did you would be in trouble!!

what if your building a replica and is powered by the same motor and looks identical to the real thing. then what.

There shouldn't be any confusion when it comes to m3s m5s etc. if it came out of the factory as a m3 or m5 that's what it is. If its a replica then it's a m3 or m5 replica.

The confusion is M optioned cars. And I dont have an answer for that :)

mis badged bimmers always get a laugh out of me when i see them out and about, takes me back to when i was 15 cruising round in my m10 powered auto e30 that was proudly repping M badges front and rear, these were the first "modification" i did after buying it, followed soon after by the mandatory dumpy exhaust, huge sub and supercheap auto tints with heaps wrinkles B)

only time it really bugs me is when people try and sell these wrongly badged cars that are devoid of M features as the real thing.

what if your building a replica and is powered by the same motor and looks identical to the real thing. then what.

Then you're still pretending! (And you would have saved time and money just buying the real thing)

There's nothing worse than trying to pretend you've got something that isn't. (I put replica wheels in that boat too)

Pandora's box!

Then you're still pretending! (And you would have saved time and money just buying the real thing)

There's nothing worse than trying to pretend you've got something that isn't. (I put replica wheels in that boat too)

Pandora's box!

can i put 516d badging on the back of my E34?

can i put 516d badging on the back of my E34?

It's a 525 at the moment isn't it haha :P

It's a 525 at the moment isn't it haha :P

ahaha good call!

You should make your car a M3d :D

I wouldn't joke about that lol, one day it might be a reality!

M50dX5, already done. And very much M performance, a few split seconds off M5 0-100.

Don't start with the M Performance stuff.... that's a whole other argument which has just muddied the waters even more!!

But, yes, the performance is amazing, especially for a 3.0ltr diesel in a big truck. I wonder how difficult it would be to bolt the triple turbos & high pressure injection gubbins onto my engine in the 330d - still the same block and internals I think? Hmmm :huh:

Edited by E30 325i Rag-Top

Ha who are you trying to kid. SMG change =3 seconds.

Greg ,You must be getting sleep deprived with that new baby of yours .....

Anyway ,

Step 1 , See attached picture

Step 2 , Push gear leaver right and enage manual mode (or leave it in auto mode just to annoy manual drivers)

Step 4, Press switch thingie below gear stick on right hand side until dash display matches my avatar

Step 5 , Put left hand leg on dashboard

Step 6, Smash accelerator to the floor

Step 7 , At redline move right hand pinkie 5mm

Repeat 6 times .....

Im prone to exageration .... Change time is 80 milliseconds , not 1/1th of a second as stated.

edit , forgot to add , press the heated seats buttons somewhere in the process ....

Anyway , I like the idea of putting a honda civic badge on the back like those real examples of M cars.

post-797-1353918267.jpg

Edited by Neal

Greg ,You must be getting sleep deprived with that new baby of yours .....

Anyway ,

Step 1 , See attached picture

Step 2 , Push gear leaver right and enage manual mode (or leave it in auto mode just to annoy manual drivers)

Step 4, Press switch thingie below gear stick on right hand side until dash display matches my avatar

Step 5 , Put left hand leg on dashboard

Step 6, Smash accelerator to the floor

Step 7 , At redline move right hand pinkie 5mm

Repeat 6 times .....

Im prone to exageration .... Change time is 80 milliseconds , not 1/1th of a second as stated.

edit , forgot to add , press the heated seats buttons somewhere in the process ....

Anyway , I like the idea of putting a honda civic badge on the back like those real examples of M cars.

Buy the time ive figured out that complicated procedure, the Manual M3 is already at 150km/h :P

Slightly off topic but this thread reminded me of this:

post-15489-1353920101.jpg

Edited by andy_e39

..... what am I missing by not having a clutch pedal :rolleyes:

the opportunity to practise.And the satisfaction of acheiving perfect(whatever that means to you) gear changes!

Don't start with the M Performance stuff....

thats what the OP asked..its not about M3s or M5s its about the M(otorsport) badges

Slightly off topic but this thread reminded me of this:

Classic!

I knew this was getting far too confusing..

There is a relatively new brand of BMW vehicles and parts which are marketed under the name of "M Performance" of which the X5 M50d is the first model to be launched, followed shortly by the X6 M50d and M135i. All of these vehicles will have "M" badges on the boot, however, they are "M Performance" cars, not "M" cars.

"M" cars are the cars built by BMW's M Division, BMW M Gmbh, which is technically a different company to the rest of BMW (BMW AG.) hence why all M vehicles will have a VIN number which starts "WBS" as that is the manufacturers identifier, "normal" BMWs will start "WBB" and MINIs "WBW". These cars will also have an "M" badge on the boot... M3, M5, M6, X5 M, X6 M, etc and they ARE "M" cars, not "M-Sport" cars.

"M-Sport" cars are models from the mainstream BMW range 1 series, 3 series, X5, etc. which are factory fitted with the optional "Motorsport" or "M-Sport"' pack, which depending on the model includes lots of goodies, including steering wheel (with an M badge on it), bigger wheels (with M badges on them), leather gearknobs (with M badges on) and door sill plates (with M badges on). And in New Zealand (and nowhere else that I am aware of, including the UK, Germany, USA) these cars also have an "M" badge on the boot, but they are not "M" cars or "M Performance" cars.

And then there are cars with an M-Sport option or two on the build sheet, these are not "M-Sport" or "M" or "M Peformance", they are, for example, 320i with some goodies. These are often found with an M badge on the boot, followed by the numbers which were originally there before the owner bought the M badge and fitted next to them on the boot, for example "M318i".

Finally there are cars which have nothing at all "M" or "M Performance" or "M-Sport" fitted to them, but still have a TradeMe "M" badge (or several in most cases) stuck on them, or even worse "M3" badges. These cars are usually found for sale on TradeMe under the heading "Genuine M3 318i Auto", in the category "things that they are not" or "poorly polished turds".

There, simples.

Oh no wait, what about the MX5... aaarggh!!