Sign in to follow this  
jeffbebe

M or no M?

Greg ,You must be getting sleep deprived with that new baby of yours .....

Anyway ,

Step 1 , See attached picture

Step 2 , Push gear leaver right and enage manual mode (or leave it in auto mode just to annoy manual drivers)

Step 4, Press switch thingie below gear stick on right hand side until dash display matches my avatar

Step 5 , Put left hand leg on dashboard

Step 6, Smash accelerator to the floor

Step 7 , At redline move right hand pinkie 5mm

Repeat 6 times .....

Im prone to exageration .... Change time is 80 milliseconds , not 1/1th of a second as stated.

edit , forgot to add , press the heated seats buttons somewhere in the process ....

Anyway , I like the idea of putting a honda civic badge on the back like those real examples of M cars.

I like your passion for the SMG II system. I think it's great personally.

Then again I am bias for such electronic trickery of the gears.

My V8's 5 speed automatic has a full stand alone computer transmission controller plus a modified valve-body for those extra crisp changes. No buttoning off the gas here!

Greg ,You must be getting sleep deprived with that new baby of yours .....

Ha not at all, just not a fan of SMG, doesn't do it for me, DKG is where it's at if you want an "auto"

Just not a fan of SMG, doesn't do it for me, DKG is where it's at if you want an "auto"

Well said Greg, my thoughts exactly.

Just found the best example to describe this topic...

HERE

Precisely! Looks very similarly spec'd to mine when I bought it - interior's identical, exteriors almost identical except mine had BBS RSIIs and the dodgy old M badge and no other badging.

I presume this car, like mine, didn't come from the factory like that.

I was interested in what determines an M badge. I've got nothing against cars having the badge if they have Msport equipment but I think it's a bit naff to badge a car with a car it's not (i.e. badging a 520 with an M5 emblem). Will stick to my 528i badge on mine!

I agree it's bloody naff but so are about 95% of the responses on this topic. It looks like a number of dealers are misrepresenting what they are selling and could be charged with fraud. It's the equivalent of winding back speedometers. I know some wannabes change badging on cars but for a dealer to knowingly do it is fraud and should be taken up with the motor vehicle dealers outfit.

Whoah there Big Fella! That's a pretty serious statement. Have I missed something in this thread, where did this idea of cars being mis-represented by dealers spring from??

Just found the best example to describe this topic...

HERE

Keywords:

540i, 5 series 540 Motorsport M Series

lowrider ss holden ford xr8 xr6 13b 12a bridgeport evo wrx skyline cefiro laurel lexus bmw v8 v12 rotary

BMW must have been doing something right with its “M†spec packages, they sell well and have noticed slowly but surely other manufacturers are offering these type of “sport models†now, some more convincing than others.

Personally I think 90% of the “M spec†cars are a joke and have cheapened the proper M brand to the point where buying a real M3 or M5 is not appealing, it was O.K in the 80’s when the E30 M325i and E34 M535i were proper sporty and worthy as standalone sports model and I think they are coming back to it now with the new M135i and M550d, even the top model Z4 is convincing, but generally they are wallowy automatic open diff pigs that need to be striped of any “sports†connotations.

I realized this four years ago when I purchased a E60 545i-Motorsport, it was a joke of a car, open diff, skinny tyres, automatic with a shifter that would let you select gears but would not hold them and change mid corner automatically, it was a sporty as a whale wearing a tracksuit and on the one track day I took it to it was passed by non-sporty cars with ease as it smoked one tyre and wallowed about confused as to what was going on, it was way out of its comfort zone and did not deserved of the M badge it wore in 28 places.

IMHO the M badge has been so bastardized to a point I don’t even care anymore when I see people putting them on everything, throw one on your lawnmower for what its worth, its probably sportier than most of the crap BMW put the badge on <_<

5c

Saw one of these yesterday... This has a lot of numbers and letters on the back... Seriously, a lot, and it's just some trophy wife runaround - not a Le Mans car.

Posted Image

Saw one of these yesterday... This has a lot of numbers and letters on the back... Seriously, a lot, and it's just some trophy wife runaround - not a Le Mans car.

Posted Image

For anyone who has driven one of these will know they don't hang around and are only split seconds away from 0-100 than the E90 M3.

Saw one of these yesterday... This has a lot of numbers and letters on the back... Seriously, a lot,

Yup, and they are all supposed to be there, and fitted at the factory.

Series = X5, Model = M50d

Just be thankfull they didn't decide on the full "M Performance 50d" from it's full title!!

and it's just some trophy wife runaround - not a Le Mans car.

Hmm, would have to disagree with that one, the M badge is there for a reason - 3 Turbos 740Nm, re-tuned suspension. Goes like the proverbial off a shovel, real shove in the back stuff even in a truck this big, and it handles pretty well for a big vehicle.

Would probably be pretty good at Le Mans as well, given it is a diesel and can return around 7ltr / 100kms when required.

Try one, you might even like it!! :P

Try one, you might even like it!! :P

I probably would... Perfect for the school run! ;)

Incidentally, wasn't suggesting it wasn't genuine - I know it was - just seemed like a lot of badges!!

Edited by jeffbebe

Just needs a few more to be a real jap car:

Posted Image

and maybe a little "Extra G" too

Whoah there Big Fella! That's a pretty serious statement. Have I missed something in this thread, where did this idea of cars being mis-represented by dealers spring from??

Car dealers JTP as opposed to BMW dealerships.