Sign in to follow this  
tttr1212

Long Time Lurker, first time BMW owner

Hello

Brought my first BMW a week ago,M Spec,1996 328,auto, 150000Kms. A few small projects that I want to do are

1.Replace 4 spoke steering wheel with 3 spoke with alcantara fabric with fat grip.

2.Front black lip

3.Replace worn bush's with nolathane

Maybe/Undecided are

17" wheels, anything larger on a e36 looks too rollerskate for me, so something BBS.Thou the factory rims are growing on me.

Like every auto BMW, would be nice to do a manual conversion, but like most things in life it comes down to $$$

Had a Nissan Silvia turbo when I was 22-23, was big in to aftermarket parts, big exhaust, 18" rims etc. Now I cant stand Nissan, Toyota's etc being heavily modify, prefer a mint factory look, especially BMW's.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by power1212

nice buy!

first thing you should do and the easiest is to remove the rear number plate holder!

Looks tidy, and a good price, what interior has it got? +1 on plate holder, looks Ridiculous!

What's the story with those licence plate holders? They take like 7 seconds to remove, and just make it look like the importer was the laziest turd in the world...

Unless you're trying to advertise that you're part of the exclusive Jap import club?

What's the story with those licence plate holders? They take like 7 seconds to remove, and just make it look like the importer was the laziest turd in the world...

Unless you're trying to advertise that you're part of the exclusive Jap import club?

Bahahahaha, funniest thing I've heard all day!

Problem removing the plate holder, the number plate is attached to the plate holder which is attached to the boot.So I would have to drill new holes in the boot as the plate holders holes don't a line to the plates holes.

Problem removing the plate holder, the number plate is attached to the plate holder which is attached to the boot.So I would have to drill new holes in the boot as the plate holders holes don't a line to the plates holes.

the plate holder should be a genuine BMW part that bolts into the holes provided from the factory. just a case of redrilling your numberplate with two holes in the middle

Edit: you dont want to drill into the sheet metal of the car, there is wiring for the central locking/lights etc directly behind there you will probably end up shorting out

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

Very nice, tidy looking car, quite like the 328i. Haha yeah its amazing the difference it makes when you take that jap number plate bracket off :P

Update !

Still haven't removed the number plate bracket as the bolts do not line up, as you guys were talking about.

New Rear Rotors and Pads

New front lip installed.

Rear tray resprayed.

Purchased newer m sport 3 spoke wheel from EuroRec, looks like to make it fat grip it and reupholster with alcantara fabric is going to be $700 so I may have a serious think about that one.

There is a 5 speed manual box on Trademe at the moment, seriously thinking about buying it. Still looking for some nice wheels, really want 9' on the rear, don't really want to buy a cheap 8" no dish $1000 set off trademe, was thinking about a wheel brand called Jline from the USA, wheels called SDMsl2, but shipping and tax's are putting me off.

Posted Image

Edited by power1212

Update !

Still haven't removed the number plate bracket as the bolts do not line up, as you guys were talking about.

The number plate holder is easy to fix - it's aluminium. Separate it from the plate, cut off the top 20mm and the bottom tabs with a hacksaw (so it's invisible behind the plate) and bolt it back on. No drilling, no new holes. Also while it's off stick a bit of foam to the back of it at the bottom to stop it going Clang! every time you shut the boot.

Edited by Jo M

^ thats what i did on my e36, otherwise you can drill new holes into the plates to line up with the existing holes on the boot for the plate holder

Update !

New Rear Rotors and Pads

New front lip installed.

Rear tray resprayed.

Purchased newer m sport 3 spoke wheel from EuroRec, looks like to make it fat grip it and reupholster with alcantara fabric is going to be $700 so I may have a serious think about that one.

There is a 5 speed manual box on Trademe at the moment, seriously thinking about buying it. Still looking for some nice wheels, really want 9' on the rear, don't really want to buy a cheap 8" no dish $1000 set off trademe, was thinking about a wheel brand called Jline from the USA, wheels called SDMsl2, but shipping and tax's are putting me off.

Posted Image

How'd you do the rear parcel tray? Mine is kinda purple/faded... <_<

Yeah mine was purple/faded, buy some fabric spray paint, there are a few guides on google but they all apply for the US model which is different rear setup seat wise.Its pretty easy just hard to work in and take your time, highly recommend buying interior removal plastic tools, got mine from suprecheap for $25 and will save you more as you wont brake your plastic interior parts.

Manual conversion is well worth it, it will increase the cars value by at least as much as you spend to convert it and make the car a lot more fun.

Brought a manual box of Trademe on Monday, should arrive next week.Will be a good 6 months before it goes in as its going to cost $1000ish to put in with Eurorec doing the work, unless anyone know a cheaper place in ChCh ?

Brought a manual box of Trademe on Monday, should arrive next week.Will be a good 6 months before it goes in as its going to cost $1000ish to put in with Eurorec doing the work, unless anyone know a cheaper place in ChCh ?

My manual box turned up a few days ago, $1000 for everything and includes a short shiftier.So now I'm thinking about ditching the Dual Mass flywheel and replace with a Single mass lightened flywheel, anyone have any experience with this ? The Dual Mass is almost as heavy as the gearbox, also thinking about conditioning the gearbox. Going to buy some black alcantara soon from ebay, going to alcantara the steering wheel, handbrake cover and shiftier boot.

Posted Image

So by December I want it to be ready for a track day at Ruapuna, currently its got some cheap kingstars and nangkangs, have to decide whether to keep my factory rims or buy some 17" and buy some good tires. Looking at these on Trademe but 7" wide and factory offset wont full the gurads very much.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=563697421

yes go for a single mass flywheel and rebuilt stronger clutch setup.

can use a m20 flywheel and starter or one of those after market flywheel clutch kits etc

those wheels will work fine

So I have decided to keep the factory Dual mass flywheel and clutch, ordered a few parts this week, planning to do the conversion in 4 weeks time(so much for 6 months), though in 2-3 weeks time I will fit the pedals and master cylinder to save time on the conversion day.Found a place that will retrim my steering wheel for $300 but getting some alcantara fabric is to hard and expensive so its going to be Ultra suede and hope it doesn't fade or wear to fast.

Edited by power1212

Update, today we installed the manual break pedal and clutch pedal and next weekend is going to be when the gear box goes in. Few questions thou, the clutch release bearing I got in the kit is in ok condition should I replace it regardless with a new one, same for the driveshaft center bearing ? Also anyone in ChCh I could borrow a clutch alignment tool would be great.

Big today tomorrow, gearbox in going in just go a few parts at repco to pick up in the morning.Female Torx sockets were a pain to find, fog light and new gear knob turned up just in time, only $35 including postage for the fog light all the way from Latvia and people what up to $80 on trademe. Alcantrara fabric turned up so the gear gaiter and ebreak are done next is the steering wheel.

Posted Image

Best of luck with conversion if you don't mind were did you get the "M" gear shift knob from and how much been looking for one and the prices they are asking is stupid thanks ?.

Best of luck with conversion if you don't mind were did you get the "M" gear shift knob from and how much been looking for one and the prices they are asking is stupid thanks ?.

get an illuminated one :ph34r: