Sign in to follow this  
jeffbebe

E39 V8 restoration

Nice...........................looking forward to the sound clip. :) Ya gone off the idea of ditching this for a wagon yet..........??

Just did the sums and they didn't work out so the sedan stays... For now.

Oo you been busy. Good to see no fault codes thrown because of the cats. Keen to hear how the beast sounds now :D.

Considered putting spacers in the front at one point as well - didn't think it would provide any noticeable improvements to handling though!

If you're thinking of doing this check what the current setup is. I think the 530i only has a one (dual) catalytic converter and almost certainly has pre and post sensors. My 528 only had one pair of cats but no post cat O2 sensors so it was okay to remove them. It's okay on my 540i because there is another set of cats right after the headers but if you've only got one dual cat with pre and post sensors it'll probably throw a fault without defoulers or recoding the DME.

Re: spacers - 25mm on each side is quite a big change to the offset so definitely noticeable. Similar effect to swapping for wider wheels at the front so a bit more grip in the corners. Have only really noticed at lower speeds.

gradually - as funds permit - buying up OE suspension parts to do a complete front and rear overhaul sometime next year as well. When the old suspension comes off i really want to give the underside a really good clean - with the (ambitious) goal of keeping it that way once the new suspension is in.... I live in hope!

Ahh - a man after my own heart - bimmer life begins with a clean underside. I have copped a small amount of flak re my bottom but once cleaned up (read detailed) it is very easy to keep that way (as long as you don't drive through mud). I have a set up in my garage which means I can wash the car, dry it, get it up on axle stands and wiped down underneath (including wiping off the inside of the rims etc) in 1.5 hour or so.

• Like 1

Looking great, Jooles - interested to hear the noise in the weekend.
Planning to cert the spacers or run it like a badass?

Ahh - a man after my own heart - bimmer life begins with a clean underside. I have copped a small amount of flak re my bottom but once cleaned up (read detailed) it is very easy to keep that way (as long as you don't drive through mud). I have a set up in my garage which means I can wash the car, dry it, get it up on axle stands and wiped down underneath (including wiping off the inside of the rims etc) in 1.5 hour or so.

Yours is very inspirational. Not sure how long my good intentions will last as I don't have a garage at home.

Looking great, Jooles - interested to hear the noise in the weekend.

Planning to cert the spacers or run it like a badass?

Badass until I'm 100% the spacers are staying, then cert 'cos I'm a goodun.

Cool Julian, hope it makes a nice note!

Pretty happy with it... I'll play it to you on Sunday!

• Like 1

Another little update... Took the car up to Ray's to code the spare TCU so I can send one away to Dinan for a s/w upgrade. Means I'm running 740i s/w at the moment which isn't quite as fun as my standard tran but the upgrade should be awesome.

Posted Image

Ray also ran a very revealing smoke test. Only one leak but a biggie from the front manifold seal. Fortunately Ray had a new gasket handy and 5 mins later the throttle body was off, new gasket in and wahey!! No more vac leak. Car's running beautifully. No more idle shudders.

Posted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I care about my interior so I don't want my car to sit out in the sun this summer without some kind of protection and because I'm pretty OCD I can't bring myself to put one of this shiny tinfoil shades in the windscreen... So I get this. Kapow! #OEM

EDIT: Yes, the birdshit on the bonnet upsets me immensely.

post-16586-0-95101600-1384999128_thumb.j

Edited by jeffbebe

Nice!

Do you have the electric rear blind? There's one of trademe for $88 or $66 or something - apparently not too hard to retrofit - I have it up all the time in ours.

BUY A GARAGE! :lol:

Nice!

Do you have the electric rear blind? There's one of trademe for $88 or $66 or something - apparently not too hard to retrofit - I have it up all the time in ours.

BUY A GARAGE! :lol:

Lend me $1M and I might be able to afford a garage in Ponsonby! Yes, I keep the electric rear blind up too... TBH I leave it in my work car park most of the time but sometimes have to leave it outside at home :(

That bird dust has damaged your clear coat!!

Did Bimmersport euphamise you?

Lend me $1M and I might be able to afford a garage in Ponsonby! Yes, I keep the electric rear blind up too... TBH I leave it in my work car park most of the time but sometimes have to leave it outside at home :(

Did Bimmersport euphamise you?

Hahaha.

Nah I just had a mate say that years ago, found it funny ever since.

Boxed and sent my EGS to Dinan yesterday... Hopefully get it back well in time for Xmas. Will report on the benefits.

• Like 1

Interior update:

post-16586-0-61978600-1382853650.jpg

Wasn't totally happy with the gloss finish I got using the Pellecare products. Contacted them and they apologised - they think they may have got the mix slightly wrong and said they'll mix a new batch with a bit more pigment (so I can do it in fewer coats) and more matting agent so it looks OE.

Bit of a PITA that I'll have to do it all again but really good of Pellecare to offer to resend the products it only took a day or so. Xmas project.

Just got back from Melbourne and this was waiting for me...

7d5001865e3f11e3a7710ee5cf0a9bb9_8.jpg

Inside is my upgraded transmission EGS. PIcking the car up from HellBM tomorrow (Ray's boys have replaced the thrust arm bushes with some new X5 ones) so I'll drive back with the new software! Fun!

EGS installed with Dinan performance transmission s/w upgrade... Wow! What a difference. Probably amplified because I've been running 740i s/w while my EGS went to California and back but either way the difference is night and day.

Higher revs throughout the gears in Drive and Sport - the acceleration in Sport is epic - and the changes in manual, while not instantaneous like modern autos and SMG, are sooooo much better. Definitely firmer (in manual and auto) and way, way faster.

Highly recommend this upgrade. Loving it. Will reset the adaptions as soon as possible and write a more complete report when I've had a chance to really test it.

• Like 1

Dont reset the adpations until Ive done my thingy on it Jooles :) will screw up the before and after.

Okay, Josh... Any reason why as I reset the adaptions when the 740i s/w went in?

cheers for popping over today Jooles .. Ill get to work on it in a couple of weeks when I surface from moving house.

HellBM has replaced the thrust arm bushes all the way around with X5 bushes. Everything feels TIGHT! Still got a bit of a wobble at high speed - pretty certain it's the spacers - could just need a decent wheel alignment but close inspection looks like I was diddled a bit on the spacer as the centre bore looks a 0.5mm too small for the wheel which would certainly cause the shake.

Something to suss out in the next few days then on to front strut top mounts. Fun!!

Drove to Kerikeri yesterday and back today. First time I've taken the 540i on a decent cruise and it ran beautifully... Overtaking ability was a little bit scary and a lot awesome especially the new trans s/w upgrade. Also finally saw some reasonable fuel consumption figures though still a long way off the reported figures from BMW (8.9L/100 highway and 17.7 urban) though our 'highways' are a long way off being like German autobahns.

post-16586-0-12541000-1387272645.jpg

The other consumption figures is basically only 2 near full tanks of gas one all round town and the other Kerikeri and back - so pretty much 50/50 urban/highway and it's not too far off the BMW figure. I burn the most doing short trips from cold locally where my fuel consumption is rarely under 20L/100. Reckon replacing the injector pintles and seals might help improve the cold consumption.

• Like 1

Ditched the wheel spacers and all shudder at 80-100kmh has gone. Pretty certain the centre bore on the ones I was sold was incorrect by 0.5mm or so. Pity, as they looked great but will try and source some better ones. Also got my mechanic to flush the brake fluid, fit s/s Goodridge lines and replace with Motul 660 fluid. Just need to get some new pads (the current ones are on their way out and the front driver's side pad is loose in the mount so it a) sounds like there's a stone chip in the caliper and b ) makes it shudder a bit under light braking.

Was looking at EBC Redstuff pads (around $400 for a full set) as a good option for fast road and occasional track use. Other recommendations welcome.

Also just painted a set of secondhand ACS wing mirrors which I'll fit this weekend - will go nicely with the ACS roof spoiler... And then that's it.... For a while at least. Will be nice to just maintain and not add to it for a while - I'm sure my bank manager will be pleased too. Would like to ditch the black/white roundels too but can't find any 82mm convex aluminium stickers in blue/white for the wheel caps so will have to stick with the ones I've got for now.