Sign in to follow this  
jeffbebe

E39 V8 restoration

e39 cigar lighter plug stays active even when ignition is off so a $30 solar charger from supercheap can be plugged in here and left on the dash

e39 cigar lighter plug stays active even when ignition is off so a $30 solar charger from supercheap can be plugged in here and left on the dash

Except my car's parked in an underground car park most of the time :blink:

Except my car's parked in an underground car park most of the time :blink:

park outside like the rest of us you posh fu...

if you have 240v available you can run a trickle charger, most people prefer solar as its free and no cords but only works outside.

you do get a tiny amount of solar power off artifical light but only like 5% of normal sunlight so not usually worth it.

Or just disconnect the battery. I had mine disconnected for 6 weeks last year when I was in Europe. She started first go when i returned.

park outside like the rest of us you posh fu...

Ha! Car park comes with my office - which is 5 mins walk from home - crazy not to use it and a garaged car is a happy car!

Or just disconnect the battery. I had mine disconnected for 6 weeks last year when I was in Europe. She started first go when i returned.

Was always my intention... I just forgot. Fortunately, it will be a long, long time until we can afford for the family to go back to Europe. About time the rellies visited us!!

Something's not right there - I was away for about a month once and the car started first pop when I got back. Something must be draining it more...

Or, put in one of those battery disconnect switches.

Auxiliary ventilation? I checked both timers were switched off but noticed this morning that there were a couple of patches of unfogged windscreen, suggesting the car had been up to something overnight. Is there another way to switch it off?

Edited by jeffbebe

could just be natural airflow, deep in the dash the temp doesnt change as much as the rest of the car overnight, nice dry warm air rises.

Just watch out with a disconnected battery can you still open the boot?

Just watch out with a disconnected battery can you still open the boot?

Should be able to with the key, at least that was the case when I flattened my E39 battery due to being away for 2 months

All good since recharging the battery and yes, I can still open the boot with the key, just not the doors (which I could on my 528). Car flew through its warrant yesterday so I'm happy. It's running very well since Ray completed the double vanos procedure. Fuel consumption - particularly when cold - is much improved and the rough idle when cold is all but gone - just the very occasional stutter if it's been very cold and wet but it lasts nary a minute.

Here's my to do list. Since I've got another couple of years' mechanical warranty which will be voided if I tinker with the performance mods, I'm going to focus on the mods I can do myself and the remaining cosmetic bits.

Exterior

Fix all dents and scrapes

Touch up all stone chips, etc

Affix ACS spoiler from 528i

Replace front and rear windscreen gaskets

Front lip/splitters

Power dome

Interior

Replace/paint/wrap dash trim

Recolour leather seats and door cards <-- I've got the Pellecare kit to do this, just haven't got round to it yet.

Maintenance

Replace front door gaskets

Vanos overhaul <-- Many thanks to Ray @ HellBM for this. Was their first double Vanos M62 but they've done a great job!

Valve cover repaint and replace gaskets <-- Should be pretty easy to get these off now all the gaskets have been replaced so will try and do this myself in the next few weeks. Just going to degrease it, clean it up, sand and paint with crinkle black

Transmission fluid flush and change

Replace spark plugs and ignition coils

Repair dead pixels on the instrument cluster <-- Still has 2 vertical lines I just can't get to work but otherwise perfect.

Performance

Big brake kit (or upgrade OE pads and rotors)

Stainless steel brake lines - got some, not fitted yet.

Performance brake fluid

Dinan auto transmission software upgrade

Cold air intake

Free flow exhaust

De-cat or high flow cats

Stage 2 tune <-- As an interim until I can afford the supercharger

Headers

High flow Mass Air Flow meter

High flow throttle body

Supercharger

Stage 5 tune

Anti roll bars

Love this wagon as an inspiration for the bonnet and splitters. I can source the dome and splitters pretty cheaply but fitting the dome's going to cost a bit so will have to wait.

post-279-0-40859800-1381380052_thumb.jpg

Still very keen to get this Strassentech lip and even found a supplier in Thailand that can ship to NZ but just not convinced it wouldn't rip straight off the first time I parked in the underground car park at work! I know it's not to everyones' tastes but keen to hear thoughts.

post-15489-0-63855000-1381376823.jpg

There's also a hole in one of the catalytic converters so going to see if it can be patched up. Might fit a slightly noisier, freer flowing exhaust at the same time if I can rustle up enough $$$s.

EDIT: Smaller pics - sorry.

Edited by jeffbebe

Nice project you've got going here - re hole in cat, why not just 'delete the cats', which is what I'm going to do.......??? Unless it was first registered in NZ after Nov 2008, I'm lead to believe there's no real need for them to be there....... :)

Cheers.

Nice project you've got going here - re hole in cat, why not just 'delete the cats', which is what I'm going to do.......??? Unless it was first registered in NZ after Nov 2008, I'm lead to believe there's no real need for them to be there....... :)

Cheers.

Yep, thinking about it but have to find a solution for the post-cat O2 sensors which would probably cause the car to go into limp mode if left as they are. Ray (HellBM) is going to try and dig up some defoulers to 'space' the sensors so they just get a whiff of gas but aren't in full flow - this worked on his S62 M3.

If I delete them I'll replace with a couple of y resonators which should help keep the noise fun but bearable.

Rodgey that - I vaguely remember reading somewhere (might've even been in here somewhere.....??) that the ECU can be reflashed with a South Africa spec program too, as they have no cats on e39's over there.....

Mines e34, so no post cat sensors..... :)

Yep, I've heard/read the same. Would prefer not to have to recode the ECU if possible though.

EDIT: I had an E39 528i previously with no post sensors but I found deleting the cats to be smokey and a bit too noisy in the car (it was a bit of a drone not a pleasant rumble!).

Edited by jeffbebe

Bought a set of 17" style 65s for $300 with tyres. Pick them up today. Will get them balanced and use them as a spare set to keep my RSIIs in mint condition. Might do some skids.

^ Holy moly, where did you get them from? Reckon they'd have any older BMW rims around?

From TradeMe... Think it was a one off but I'l check with the guy I bought them from. What are you looking for?

Bugger. Discovered today that the headlight adjusters in the passenger side headlights have broken which will have to be sorted before the next warrant.

Anyone attempted to replace them themselves? It looks a bit of a PITA http://bimmersport.co.nz/topic/19732-headlight-adjusters/?hl=%2Bheadlight+%2Badjusters+%2Be39 - don't mind giving it a go but if anyone knows anyone that can do it cheaply, I'm all ears!

i did mine on the pre facelift non hid headlights, wasnt majorly hard, i took the oppertunity to properly polish the lenses etc as they were starting to fade.

major issue with hid is the front is glued on so has to be heated up and pryed off, early ones have clips and they pop apart quickly.

where the new adjusters clip in its quite stiff and feels like they are going to break, i lubed them and gave a short sharp shove and they popped in ok.

Been looking for a Strassentech splitter (below) for a while but they're hard to come by and very expensive.

LIP.jpg

Recently picked up a set of Vorsteiner-style CF splitters which finally turned up this week. Haven't installed yet but taped them on to see what they look like.

post-16586-0-74398600-1381038920.jpg

post-16586-0-42409800-1381038954.jpg

Fitment's good and I think the style looks good but I'm not 100% sold on the carbon fibre on my black 540i. Painting's an option but they'd look weird unless they were properly blended and made part of the bumper which is going to cost $$$s.

Interested in what the community thinks...

I think the CF works .. At least it isn't massively contrasting like if it were on an Alpine White.

Look very CSL-esque!
Perhaps it's an excuse to order some other carbon accents

After Kyu's comment awhile back in another thread re: Strassentech looking like a dustpan I can't get the image out of my head :P

I think the CF works .. At least it isn't massively contrasting like if it were on an Alpine White.

Look very CSL-esque!

Perhaps it's an excuse to order some other carbon accents

After Kyu's comment awhile back in another thread re: Strassentech looking like a dustpan I can't get the image out of my head :P

Interesting, it was the lack of contrast that I wasn't so sure about... I think they look great on white.

107386-2.jpg