Sign in to follow this  
jeffbebe

E39 V8 restoration

Interesting how everyone sees things differently! :)

I'm not a huge fan of the contrast unless there are other complimentary carbon accents, e.g. spoiler, mirrors, roof, etc. (which is easier to pull off on the M5 IMO)

I think that the CF on black without huge contrast looks less "ricey" for lack of a better word. Either way, your car. I think that raw CF will look better than painting but again just my thoughts.

With regard to painting and blending the splitters into one piece with the bumper, there was an E46 M3 owner that mated the CSL (replica?) lip with the bumper. It looked stunning... but I think it's a fair expense...

Just spent 10 mins looking for the thread but can't find it sorry :(

black car looks good.

white car looks like 1840s mutton chops on an englishman

Page 3 pic, without them - I prefer that personally............which is probably an incorrect answer.......

Yeah, I'm not totally sold on them now I've seen them on my car... Annoying as they cost a pretty penny. If I decide not to keep them hopefully somebody else will love them and I can get my money back!

Edited by jeffbebe

I quite like them, adds a different look to the front end most E39s won't have.

Yeah, I really like the shape it's the CF and the fact it's not 'part' of the bumper that I'm not sure about. Hence why I'm thinking stick, fill, sand, paint. Wish I'd bought the (much) cheaper ABS plastic ones. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Hmmm yeah I know what you mean. The ABS plastic ones would be the way to go imo.

Then again your E39 is really cool as it is so I'm not sure you need to do anything other than drive it!

• Like 1

Then again your E39 is really cool as it is so I'm not sure you need to do anything other than drive it!

My thoughts too - that's one of the things (theres a few!!) that I really like about this car - its tweaked, modded etc, but its also refined & subtle without being 'in your face'......its really classy & koooooooooool as it is!!

Perhaps it's an excuse to order some other carbon accents

I think that's part of the problem... I'm not a big fan of the carbon accents unless they serve a purpose (like the roof of your M3) and can't help thinking that it looks a bit out of place on my car. The vendor has offered to cover return shipping and swap for ABS version, so I might do that and blend into the original bumper... Eventually.

My thoughts too - that's one of the things (theres a few!!) that I really like about this car - its tweaked, modded etc, but its also refined & subtle without being 'in your face'......its really classy & koooooooooool as it is!!

Thanks.

Hmmm yeah I know what you mean. The ABS plastic ones would be the way to go imo.

Don't worry, Michael, I definitely drive it... But you know what's it like... There's always more that can be done. I'd be spending it on performance but engine upgrades are on hold while I decide what to do with my mechanical warranty!

I think they look good like that. Different and would make most BMW fans look twice. I do think that you should spring the $ & get them professionally mounted and painted tho.

If you had other carbon maybe...

Looks really nice with the splitters. You could always get the rear diffuser wrapped in cf, or get an after market one - That would balance it nicely i reckon. If you get it intergrated in to the front bumper, you'll need to install self raising front suspension though, you'd just hate to bump it on a parking barrier!!

Looks really nice with the splitters. You could always get the rear diffuser wrapped in cf, or get an after market one - That would balance it nicely i reckon.

That could work. Surely you can't wrap the diffuser though? Wouldn't the heat just make it peel off?

If you get it intergrated in to the front bumper, you'll need to install self raising front suspension though, you'd just hate to bump it on a parking barrier!!

New suspension's not really in the budget for a set of aftermarket splitters! I'd just park like a douche miles from any curbs/barriers!

That could work. Surely you can't wrap the diffuser though? Wouldn't the heat just make it peel off?

New suspension's not really in the budget for a set of aftermarket splitters! I'd just park like a douche miles from any curbs/barriers!

Isn't that how everyone parks?

A diffuser won't get hot enough to reject the vinyl AFAIK

Keep it! Looks good and cf works well on black. And it's certainly no dustpan *thumbs up*

Looking good man. those spliter ends look cool. small, clean. i personally think carbon blends nicely with black, that's just me though.

Thanks to Mike for designing this... I've added it to the to do list. Would love to the V8 clear it's lungs a bit more.

post-16586-0-93311700-1381879268.jpeg

You should PM your address Julian - I'll send ya a jar of dust for Xmas for that nice sleek sexy paintjob - have it looking like every-one else's then....... :D

Exhaust concept looks good.............I think yours'll work out a bit me politically correct than whats planned for my mods......

You should PM your address Julian - I'll send ya a jar of dust for Xmas for that nice sleek sexy paintjob - have it looking like every-one else's then....... :D

Exhaust concept looks good.............I think yours'll work out a bit me politically correct than whats planned for my mods......

Mate, it gets enough sh*t all over it being parked outside at the weekends... But that's just an excuse to clean it again!

Made a slight alteration to Mike's exhaust proposal to hopefully keep costs down but with similar results. Might try and do it in sections to avoid a big outlay in one go:

post-16586-0-29901500-1381890431.jpg

Edited by jeffbebe

The wife loves Amercian muscle cars - the more I get it to sound like a V8 the less she hates it! haha

Mike had a good solution as well - RS4 valve at the muffler to close off one pipe - 'family mode'.

Chop off the rear muffler, and weld some piping in place? :-)

Works well, and passes wof's too - did it to my 540i about 4 years ago.

If you remove the rear resonator (v shaped thingy), the exhaust note becomes rattly/tinny - Also hurts performance for the M62 in stock tune (Tried and tested in the USA) But with a remap, that i suspect Julian will be doing, the gains should be impressive.

Chop off the rear muffler, and weld some piping in place? :-)

Works well, and passes wof's too - did it to my 540i about 4 years ago.

If you remove the rear resonator (v shaped thingy), the exhaust note becomes rattly/tinny - Also hurts performance for the M62 in stock tune (Tried and tested in the USA) But with a remap, that i suspect Julian will be doing, the gains should be impressive.

Why not go the whole hog and replace the entire system with pipes and stick a couple of twin tips at the back... Then I can pretend it's an M5 like yours, even though it will sound like a tractor.

DSCF0053a.jpg?t=1282356741

Will definitely remap but can't afford to remap after each mod so might have to live with a bit of down power until I can finish a couple of other intended mods. Either that or I need to find some good free maps somewhere and learn how to flash them myself.

Mate, it gets enough sh*t all over it being parked outside at the weekends... But that's just an excuse to clean it again!

Made a slight alteration to Mike's exhaust proposal to hopefully keep costs down but with similar results. Might try and do it in sections to avoid a big outlay in one go:

attachicon.gifExhaust_idea_E39_540i_v2.jpg

Yeah that will be the way to go I think

Much less complicated and cheaper!

Half as many welds to do as well and you get more freedom to place the muffler strategically, apparently having the X pipe at different points will affect the 'scavenging effect' for more or less power at peak rpms - but finding that place is either trial by error or by some technical calculation I have no idea on haha.

Funny - I've done lots of research on it for what to do to my 540, & I think the pic with no rear muffler is way to go. So long as middle resonator is in place, I'm lead to believe exhaust mods post that won't affect lower RPM torgue curve / figures. Mine will be much like Martin said, with 'cat delete' option ticked as well. (I don't have post kitty O2 sensors though). My Cruiser ute has had cat removed, 3 inch exhaust from the turbo, 1 x straight through muffler - sounds awesome, specially when getting a work-out. :D