Sign in to follow this  
rusteee

Respect for the E39

Hi Guys

Sorry for the bit of a downer thread, but just thought I'd express my respect and gratefulness for the fantastic build of the E39 and I suppose most other Bimmers. Sadly, last week had a massive accident, rolling the vehicle and completely writing it off. Thankfully no one else was involved, and managed to literally climb out of the upside down car without any injuries. Looking at the car, and how hard it was hit the bank etc, it held together extremely well and quite literally saved my life. I was interested to see only the steering wheel airbag went off, do they have seperate sensors? Absolutely gutted to see such a beautiful car like that, and she was a fantastic car, I'm hoping someone else is going to use some parts from it (mainly interior like the Msport and silver trims etc i presume). Insurance are paying out pittance compared of the cars value of course, and I assume they will auction the wreck in Hamilton somewhere.

So, I'm now in the market for another NZ New E39 530 or 540 2001+ if anyone knows of a tidy one for sale. Was considering an E60 but not too sure on them. Does anyone know of any info or write ups on the E60's, like the awsome E39 sticky one thats on the site?

Edited by rusteee

Sh*t. Sorry to hear that but glad you're okay. I've no idea whether it's true but someone told me recently that no-one has ever died in an accident whilst driving an E39. I accept that may be BS but they're definitely built like tanks.

Yours was a great example, a real shame that it met a grisly end but I hope you can find another good one. I'd hang onto any salvageable parts until you've found a replacement. You might find a good car but want your m-sport trim, for example.

Good luck and once again, glad you're okay.

Never a good thing hearing about anyone crashing, let alone in one of thier toys!! Thank goodness it didnt go as bad as it could have

I've no idea whether it's true but someone told me recently that no-one has ever died in an accident whilst driving an E39.

I wouldnt believe everything you hear. a late 90s car is still a late 90s car, and physics will always be there.

for example, this would have been messy (E39 M5)

fotoM5crash_(49).jpg

Never a good thing hearing about anyone crashing, let alone in one of thier toys!! Thank goodness it didnt go as bad as it could have

I wouldnt believe everything you hear. a late 90s car is still a late 90s car, and physics will always be there.

for example, this would have been messy (E39 M5)

fotoM5crash_(49).jpg

Wonder if I can buy that wheel, need a spare.

They were regarded as the best car in the world for their entire production run. Unfortunately the motoring press went sour on the E60 that followed. I had an E34 535 before the E39 , and that was a great car, maybe the E39 is a bit smoother ride wise. Good to see you`re ok though Russell..

sorry to hear that. glad your ok.

yea only the airbag that is needed will go off depending on which way and how hard the impact is felt by the airbag control module.

yea insurance company's gotta watch them

i am with AA with an agreed value on my cars i think all other company's are only market value.

hey i will have a 2003 nz new 530i motorsport ready for sale in a week or 2 if you are still looking

in topaz blue , black leather etc, all factory m-sport options std etc

brent@bmworld.co.nz

papakura

• Like 1

Good thing it kept you safe with your off.

But saying nobody has died in an E39 is a bit of a laugh.

Few years back a full car load of kids in an M5 hit a tree mid flight. They were ripped to shreds as well as the car. Physics always wins.

Few years back a full car load of kids in an M5 hit a tree mid flight. They were ripped to shreds as well as the car. Physics always wins.

I did say that I accept it may well be BS!! However, I do stand by the fact that they're built like tanks so there's potentially to walk away from some pretty bad scrapes but as you say, you can't beat physics.

• Like 1

sorry to hear that. glad your ok.

yea only the airbag that is needed will go off depending on which way and how hard the impact is felt by the airbag control module.

yea insurance company's gotta watch them

i am with AA with an agreed value on my cars i think all other company's are only market value.

hey i will have a 2003 nz new 530i motorsport ready for sale in a week or 2 if you are still looking

in topaz blue , black leather etc, all factory m-sport options std etc

brent@bmworld.co.nz

papakura

I'm with NZI and have agreed value for my Touring, but it's still going to be an absolute sh*t show should I ever need to make a claim ( god forbid ). Agreed value unfortunately means diddly squat, as a member on here ( I think anyway ) recently found out after a no fault accident.

Cheers guys. Yea I definitely wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. Absolutely fantastic car to drive even though the K's were getting up. I had a look at the E60 but the build just didn't appeal to me too much. I would be extremely keen to check out your one when its ready Brent!! My one was also Topaz blue, Msport with all the fruits, would love to get another one.

Have signed it over to the insurance company now, they wouldn't even let me get the 5 months rego refund as they get that to try recoop their costs.... considering they pay under half the cars worth, I thought I could get it back :wacko: dreeeamin. But oh well could be worse. Grateful to be alive, and grateful for the services of such an awsome vehicle.

Yea mate, glad ya came outa it ok - pics of the event must be overdue surely though showing how good the mighty E39 shielded ya....... ;):)

I was driving from Dairy Flat out to Kaukapakapa a few years back, and on the last two corners before the junction, an E39 had shot off the road, seemingly cleared the fence and was sitting it the middle of a paddock at the end of some skidmarks, looking entirely undamaged :blink:

1zdz.jpg

Now, wheres the piccies of your bent one?

Yea mate, glad ya came outa it ok - pics of the event must be overdue surely though showing how good the mighty E39 shielded ya....... ;):)

I didn't know whether it was appropriate to post pics, as it is a sad sight to see it like that :mellow: but definitely can if wanted. I didn't actually take any of while it was still upside down jammed in a drain as I wasn't thinking straight. Even crawled back in to turn he lights off as the light warning alarm was on hahaha even though the headlights were scattered a further 20 odd meters down the road. Only photos of the after, after we had dragged it out, and when it was flipped back over. Basically hit the bank and rolled 2 and half times then slid along a wee bit on its roof.

As to sentiments above - glad you came out ok Russell. The E39 is one hell of a car, period!

As Brent alluded to, the airbag system has sensors facing each direction, (along with the much discussed passenger seat occupancy sensor) which dictates which/how many airbags deploy in an event.

As for insurance companies - don't get me started. AMI & agreed value too but an argument every year on policy costs...

Edit - what bloody right do they have to cash in on the remaining rego too. A one way street with them!

Edited by hotwire

Yeah you`re right. I`ve never had a car written off but I didn`t know they could do that. I suppose you lose title to the car I guess. What if you had a sack of oysters in the boot?

Here are a couple of pics. The upside down one is when we had just dragged it out of the drain, and the other is having flipped it back over just before it went on the tow truck. As you can see, considering the impact etc the car held together extremely well, even after rolling.... brilliant i say....

Edit- Good to know about the airbags too, I was always curious, cheers for the info.

post-5533-0-53352000-1389952973.jpg

post-5533-0-66823800-1389953005.jpg

Edited by rusteee
  • Like 1

Yea, ya came outa that alright probably, sad as it is the car did its job in terms of 'protecting you'. ;) Seen a local young guy today at a friend's place while out & about, that did similar gymnastics in a RX-8 a couple of weeks ago - he's had neuro-surgery & a plate inserted in his skull due to the A-pillar collapsing. Lucky to be alive, but doesn't seem too much worse for wear really........

He's a slow learner though, as he's already used up a couple of lives with moto-x crashes......... :rolleyes:

^^^^^ My sentiments exactly! To the bloody hell post actually

Edited by hotwire

Unless ive missed it im wondering is how do you go off the road in the first place

On my way home to a call out, gravel on the corner, came around and lost it when the passengers side kicked out. Tried to correct but had to go with it. It's a bastard because I've driven that road sooo many times in the last 8 years of owning vehicles and usually know what to expect. Just have to fully concentrate on these country roads, not just expect them to be a clear path.

Edited by rusteee