Sign in to follow this  
MD13

Where are they?

Ok so I kinda have a hankering for a 330i e46. Preferably a motorsport in blue with leather seats :-)

But in 2 or so years of looking I don't think I have ever seen a factory manual... Why is that? Wikipedia says BMW did make some that way so how come we only have the auto boxes here?

Ive seen at least 2 330i manuals on trademe within the last few mths.

I had a hankering for burger king once.......

I had a hankering for burger king once.......

Ditto, & the lesson learnt from that oncer for me was 'it looks better than what it really is'.................which ironically enough probably applies to lots of things in life... ;)

True........^^^^^^^ can't yak on the phone, change CD's, text, apply lipstick, check yourself out in the mirror, eat brekky, & do all those other multi-tasking things when driving something with a gear lever & clutch......... ;)

Any retard can drive an auto - theres no skill level or mechanical empathy or knowledge required for that............ :rolleyes:;):)

True........^^^^^^^ can't yak on the phone, change CD's, text, apply lipstick, check yourself out in the mirror, eat brekky, & do all those other multi-tasking things when driving something with a gear lever & clutch......... ;)

Any retard can drive an auto - theres no skill level or mechanical empathy or knowledge required for that............ :rolleyes:;):)

Yea .. just own a v8 and you really dont have to change gear while poodling along

• Like 2

To be clear I'm not saying anything bad about auto boxes - I just don't want one.

• Like 1

NZ market not large enough to warrant pushing them and with all the fancy buttons to boot with an auto. Plenty in the UK as fleet cars and they appear to be lower spec if you find a NZ one it will have had the manual box ticked when ordered from new or requested as such when imported. Why not just buy a 330 auto and convert it to manual that's what Ii did in the end when looking for a manual 325 compact.

• Like 1

I just wait,there are manuals,just be prepared to act quickly when one comes along

Edited by kiwi535

Here`s one: NZ new 330ci Manual Motorsport with all options.Soon to be dismantled.

Conversion kit is available.

post-1470-0-21761900-1392358455.jpg

post-1470-0-79297600-1392358456.jpg

I bought mine as soon as it popped up for sale...right place right time, nz new manual clubsport

No Manuals,

BMW Dealers are too lazy to offer new car buyers the option from stock , figure it is easier to tell them to just buy an auto.

Apparently Audi are taking a equally intransigent approach ,

Lets just let the lame brain dealers bully us into submission , really it their commission we are taking about not your money.

Simple economics - supply and demand. People who buy new BMW's, remembering a 330i was around $100k new, tend to be middle aged or older and want the convenience of auto.

I drove a manual in Auckland traffic and declared I would never do it again! Also, modern autos are so good there is no need for a manual anymore. The new Porsche 991 GT3 is no longer available in manual, this isn't because dealers don't think it will sell, but because the auto is such a brilliant piece of kit.

Simple economics - supply and demand. People who buy new BMW's, remembering a 330i was around $100k new, tend to be middle aged or older and want the convenience of auto.

I drove a manual in Auckland traffic and declared I would never do it again! Also, modern autos are so good there is no need for a manual anymore. The new Porsche 991 GT3 is no longer available in manual, this isn't because dealers don't think it will sell, but because the auto is such a brilliant piece of kit.

there is more to it than AUTO and manal.I want direct mechanical connection between engine and rear wheels therefore I will choose not to own a torque converter auto. in the forseeable future there wont be an torque converter in my garage,BMW or not

Edited by kiwi535

surely market forces decides wouldn't you say...not much point shippin' cars with manual boxes around the world if people don't want 'em. Lets face it, 95% of ALL new car buyers, want the ease and convenience of an auto... which is a pity of course for us "poor" folks who love a manual.

I had an E46 330 Manual once...took me nearly 6 months to sell it cause nobody wanted a manual, it was only a sedan, and had done 150k but still...oh well

• Like 1

I had a 330 auto once. Sat on trademe for 3 months. Coverted it to manual, had 3 enquiries and sold within 48 hours.

We did 28 manual conversions last year @ Hellbm. Its mid Feb now and 4 conversions already done with a few more customers waiting.

What does that tell you?

I had a 330 auto once. Sat on trademe for 3 months. Coverted it to manual, had 3 enquiries and sold within 48 hours.

We did 28 manual conversions last year @ Hellbm. Its mid Feb now and 4 conversions already done with a few more customers waiting.

What does that tell you?

Should have asked for more $$$!

Edited by beemn

All good and well but what can the 20% do to get what they want when the dealership is pushing another barrow. That is with out going down the conversion route, having to buy new or import it not all of us are Roth child rich.

So much "the earth is flat and I'm a caveman... Must drive stick"

News Flash - The world has moved on...

So much "the earth is flat and I'm a caveman... Must drive stick"

News Flash - The world has moved on...

Moved on?,debatable,i would argue that a manual is lighter,cheaper,more durable,gives better fuel economy, and more control.I am talking of the torque converter type,not dsg,smg,etc.

auto's are nice to drive in sometimes

but i hate a computer telling me to be in this gear etc or not letting go into a certain gear etc . delays in changing , heavy and they pack up sooner

I fnd it funny that the new car buyers decisions when they ponied up the readies is second guessed by people buying the car as 4th, 5th or 6th owners 10 years down the track because it doesnt match what they would have done if they ever went and bought a new car.

• Like 1

Id say the majority of people who buy new BMW's buy them for the badge anyway

Moved on?,debatable,i would argue that a manual is lighter,cheaper,more durable,gives better fuel economy, and more control.I am talking of the torque converter type,not dsg,smg,etc.

Lighter - probably yes, six gear sets in a manual, eight in the auto.

Cheaper - again yes, less complexity as less gears.

Fuel consumption - no, the auto gives better economy as 7th and 8th are overdrive ratios.

More durable - never heard an auto crunch a change, stall or burn a clutch so don't agree there.

More control - well the ECU is in control not you either way. If you want to think you are in charge knock it into M or use the paddles, it will still change faster than you can! Multiple driving modes to change shifting points and speeds etc for you to choose.

Performance? Faster acceleration - more gears, closer ratios and again it swaps them faster than you can.

Do you flat shift your manual? Heel and toe the downshifts? If no, then why not? That's what the auto can do.

So yes, moved on, a hell of a long way from the old clunky Jatco E36 boxes. That's why 99.5% of New Bimmers have autos, in models that can have the manual at a cheaper cost.

How about comparing apples with apples ie a 6 speed auto against a 6 speed manual of course the 7 or 8 speed auto will be more fuel efficient as you state 7& 8 are overdrive and put their for that purpose. As for burning out a clutch that is poor driving or sh*t road design allowing traffic to stall or crawl along. Maybe those that have a manual are not interested in heel toeing it or speed shifting woop woop leave that for those on the race track I say. It comes down to a personal choice in the end I feel and having learned to drive in a manual car prefer them so each to their own. Even if the dealers don't wish to carry the extra stock because of their profit line getting hit they should still let the customer know what options are available to them.