Sign in to follow this  
MD13

Where are they?

Many posters on here cannot seem to grasp the simple reasons why manuals are dying.

It is not the dealer's fault - they would stock the vehicles if there were buyers for them. Many people indent order European vehicles and are happy to wait for their desired spec and trim.

The tastes and gearbox preferences of a middle aged professional who has $100k+ to spend on a new car tend to differ from the BMW fan boys aged 18 - 30 years that are members of this forum and buy $5k E36's and $10k E46's.

If you are spending $100k+ on a car you tend to buy what you want, if you wanted a manual you would buy an M3 rather than a 330i.

Also, once someone lives with an auto for a few years it is hard to get back into manual. And with the amazing technology available in auto transmissions, why would you bother with a manual anymore?

• Like 1

I am comparing apples with apples - the current auto option with the current manual. Just because the manual is limited shouldn't detract from the advantages of the auto.

Im trying to ignore the pointless argument going on above, (seriously we've heard it all before auto vs manual)., but I can't...

If manual is what the world wanted it's what the world would order with a new car. But the majority don't, and the advancement in autos vs the lack of opportunity for advancement in manuals is fast making them redundant. Complaining on here won't change it anyway so what's the point?

If you really think it's such a big market, get some capital backing, order 100 manual BMW models (parallel import even) and then sell them yourself to the currently "ignored market". If your right you'll make good money and make BMW sit up and take notice. Personally I'd rather invest in an Airconditiong business in Antartica.

Seriously, The writing is on the wall with this one, let it go.

But for the OP

This car isn't listed as a 330i rather a 330 so hasn't had a lot of views and the price keeps tumbling,

Ks are reasonable, colour is right and I'd bet you would own it for $7500. Bring it to auckland, drop it of to ray of the conversion out of that coupe. Hey presto, manual 330i for less than most autos are selling for.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-696326020.htm

Might be worth a look

Edited by Driftracewake
  • Like 2

Its all well in good when new but what about once the cars gotten older, had multiple owners and have dropped alot in price etc, you'd probably have to sell body parts to pay to any repairs on the auto if it went wrong

Sure a manual is basic but its well known and reliable

Its all well in good when new but what about once the cars gotten older, had multiple owners and have dropped alot in price etc, you'd probably have to sell body parts to pay to any repairs on the auto if it went wrong

Simple answer is that if you can't afford to own it, you shouldn't own it.

Well theres ^^^^^^ the 0 dposit, pay it off over the next 48 months crowd gone then..............because but damn that looks great in the driveway............

I think that's a bit harsh.

What you're suggesting is that if you can't afford a $6k trans rebuild on a $12k car, you shouldn't have it. I will therefore automatically (excuse the pun) discount every auto by that amount and every manual by $1500 for a new clutch.

People can wank on about efficiency as much as they want, but cars, if you're an enthusiast, are supposed to be fun and a manual box is more fun. I've had DSG boxes, good autos and manuals, for sloshing about in the city rush hour, I'll have a proper auto, for fun and enjoying a car, a manual. And who cares if it's 0.2l/100km better.

• Like 1

True to a point but in reality not that realistic. If it were the case many people in this country wouldn't have a car etc at all

Hmmmm. I'm inclined to agree with Dan really. Like, this logic is a bit like saying you're gonna chose the short Jenny Craig challenged chick that looks like shes been chasing parked cars, over the 6ft Amazon goddess that really does tick a few boxes, simply cos no-one else is gonna hit on the first one........

Reality is new auto's are very very good in my opinion, & have been for a number of years IMO. Some of the new manuals are now 6 speed boxes, because some muppet decided that's the new fad to have, & in a lot of cases, its turned really good cars into a worse version of what they were in 5 speed manual form IMO.......

If you ever want to see a really good benchmark - go test drive a new Ford Ranger in auto & manual form - both are 6 speeds. The manual is just a dog of a thing, yet the auto combined with the other technology in the vehicle makes it simply outstanding, both on & off road.............. ;):)

Its a bit like saying I won't buy something with ABS in case that plays up one-day, etc etc..........

Even on a lot of the new big trucks, earth moving gear etc, its auto trans or torque-convertor type drivetrain, for very valid reasons.........

• Like 1

I never said auto didn't have their place, they have their benefits no doubt. What im trying to say is you can go on about how good modern auto is but in an age where a deemed lifespan of a car is low, sealed transmissions with lifetime fluids etc, ill never be sold on them going the distance without great expense to some owner down the track.

No real enthusiast is going to take an old 2nd hand car with an auto over a manual given the choice. Sure some cars maybe better with an auto but im talking about proper cars people would actually want not utes

I think that's a bit harsh.

What you're suggesting is that if you can't afford a $6k trans rebuild on a $12k car, you shouldn't have it. I will therefore automatically (excuse the pun) discount every auto by that amount and every manual by $1500 for a new clutch.

True to a point but in reality not that realistic. If it were the case many people in this country wouldn't have a car etc at all

Yes you're both right; I was more (and admittedly I wasn't explicit) referring to situations like the E60 M5 where if the box goes it's a massive fork out. But then the argument could go to "Is an SMG an automatic".. /opencanofworms

I dont consider it an auto, sure it shares similarities but its more an evolved manual

To answer Paul, in the case of American metal, they are more often than not converted into autos. Even in good ol' kiwiland.

Best hold on to your old manual boxes - there won't be any new ones being made in the very near future!

Best hold on to your old manual boxes - there won't be any new ones being made in the very near future!

• Like 1

That is neither the original owners problem, nor BMWs. The less old models on the road "devaluing" the brand the better from BMWs point of view im sure. There are plenty of scruffy BMWs Mercs Audis around, bits of trim falling off etc, its a rapid decent on any car once the value slips below $5k

well done mr MD13....ya've a ripper goin' here....

I think mr Ethrty-Andy_ has hit the nail on the head its all about marketing, image, and style... over substance. in the past it was 3,5,7 series with a 6 on the side mainly manual, with autos an option, and the motorsport badge really meant something.

Now its 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8, series, Gran Tourers for grandpa, Gran Coupes for grandma, trucks of all description for big noters in fancy pants, motor sport badges stuck on to anything and everything...when will the silliness end...

That is neither the original owners problem, nor BMWs. The less old models on the road "devaluing" the brand the better from BMWs point of view im sure. There are plenty of scruffy BMWs Mercs Audis around, bits of trim falling off etc, its a rapid decent on any car once the value slips below $5k

Did i say it was? No. All my posts having been talking about someone buying a older used auto.

As for devaluing the brand i dont think they care too much about that these days, you look at all the models and productions numbers to see that. Their strategy is fill ever market gap with a model just like the japs having been doing for ages. Sure BMW may still be marketed as a "premium" brand but its far from their golden era.

Did i say it was? No. All my posts having been talking about someone buying a older used auto.

As for devaluing the brand i dont think they care too much about that these days, you look at all the models and productions numbers to see that. Their strategy is fill ever market gap with a model just like the japs having been doing for ages. Sure BMW may still be marketed as a "premium" brand but its far from their golden era.

Yeah, but we are saying why they aren't offering them new.

If im dropping $80-200k on a new BMW, i couldnt care less that the third owner cant afford to rebuild or source a decent transmission, nor do i care that he would prefer a manual transmission etc.

• Like 1

I never disagreed with that and like i said most people buy BMW for the badge. I thought it was obvious my posts were a bit off the original topic idk why you bothered quoting me.

I do agree with Ron in that society is being dumbed down. Unfortunately its not just limited to automobiles

• Like 1

everyone just needs an e30 ...

One with the switchable auto?! ;)

• Like 1

Keep it coming guys, the enquiries for manual conversions just keep rolling in.

Went for a spirited drive today in my S54 M coupe and tried to imagine an auto version. Yawn...then had a big laugh at the joke.

In my world anything pre E60/E90 should spend at least some of its life as a manual.

• Like 1