Sign in to follow this  
liyi_92

Vodafone/Telstra internet problem?!

So right now I am having problems with my internet. Seems like all NZ websites load fast as usual (eg. Trademe, Bimmersport, etc) but any international traffic is stupidly slow. I was in the middle of a competitive game which am sure the server was based in Australia and ping bounce to 270+. Cannot load Facebook and loading the google homepage takes a good 5 minutes.

Any ideas to why this is? I am in Christchurch if that relates to anything. :(

Ahh, yes Grasshopper, I see the problem - south of the strait + gamer = the big 'does not compute fastly'........... ;):D:rolleyes::) Next thing you'll be looking for scented water or beer in green bottles etc etc........... :rolleyes:

But but aren't the keys' gods spending your hard earned $$$$ to bring us out of the pen a paper age??? :blink::wacko::huh:;):P

I have been a customer of Vodaphone and it's predecessors since 1992. They have been totally consistent through all that time and they have charged heaps and given piss poor service, dropped calls, had poor coverage and promised heaps but delivered bugger all. In the middle of Wellington I lose about 75% of the calls I make. I would like to congratulate them on this piss poor performance. No other company I deal with has managed to provide worse service and still survive. You can call them about their lack of service but they don't answer the phone unless you have an hour or so to wait. I also have phone lines etc with those dull sparks Telescum but they are no better.

• Like 1

I've had all utorrent traffic blocked in the last 5 days. Had to switch torrent client to get it working again.

also noticeable latency on Ghosts recently. Telstraclear used to be solid. Only issues since VF took over.

get on slingshot mates.

also Darren, you may just need to select a HTTPS proxy. utorrent is pretty good for me.

Since i'm moving shortly there really no point. But i'll look to another provider when I sign up again.

I've tried both with & without proxy, it could be the reliable old proxy I was using has been taken offline. If someone has a good free proxy please PM me the details.

I'm just too cheap to pay for one. lol.

It's f**king poo. 12 year olds make me their bitch on MOH.

Plus I live along what is essentially a wide ridge ( if you stood on the roof, you would have a clear view over the harbour to Auckland City ) and their mobile coverage is patchy to say the least. Often a call will go straight to answer phone.

But they have me because they have made it cheap as chips. I think our broadband is like $40 a month for 80gb.

Edited by vtgts300kw

I've been without internet for a month, Because apparently it takes Vodafone 1 month to hook up Cable. Homos.

Worst customer service I have ever dealt with, Only went with them because we wanted Cable. Hopefully hooked up this afternoon finally.

slingshot unlimited is cheap and reliable, speeds are more than acceptable

global mode is awesome too... Netflix is a game changer

slingshot unlimited is cheap and reliable, speeds are more than acceptable

global mode is awesome too... Netflix is a game changer

I love their wording which obviously gets around the legalities.

" Slingshot's Global Mode is now FREE for all Broadband Customers! Global Mode is an awesome new product that lets your overseas visitors enjoy some of their favourite international web services from the convenience of your Slingshot Broadband connection. "

I'm in Timaru, broadband been dropping for the last week or so. Rang them today ( took an hour on hold ) they said I had 15 dropouts from 7am - 8am. They didn't even blink an eyelid and just blamed my modem / filters. I am borrowing new gear today to see if that fixes it, but I doubt it, as it seems a countrywide issue.

Unfortunatly will cost me too much to leave them at home, BUT I have just emailed them to cancel my busines broadband with them, small victory to me :)

Moved from Slingshot to Orcon just over a year back.

Slingshot was by far the worst quality and slowest connection I have ever had. International speeds during peak time came to a standstill. I was on their all you can eat plan which was well oversold. Bandwidth was becoming a big issue.

Moved to Orcon who was only slightly better.

Moved house to a newer suburb and the speed jumped up nicely. Better exchange.

However I am now on a plan that Orcon doesn't advertise (retention plan 250GB and phone for $99pm full speed.)

Avoid those all you can eat plans. You will be in a very over crowed abused pool of users. These are the worst plans possible for gamers.

A lot of it depends on where you live and the quality of the lines/number of people on the exchange etc...

Oh boy sounds like my ticket to vent over our work connection...

Short story is, we are an IT company. they didnt understand that internet was critical to our business as not only do we need it for all that, we use products like Xero and Tradevine so all our accounts are online. They couldnt get us started because we were "still at our old address". anyways, 20 days later we were finally moved over, and the internet is the slowest piece of sh*t i have ever had. I do a lot of my accounts at home on this computer now (Telecom here)

HAHA!

I have a radio link from a local company - Ubernet.

I only pay for the "cheap" plan - 6mbs each way, but speed tests are usually between 8 and 9 mbs B) .

I downloaded 13 Gigs on monday (from about 9AM to 5PM) by accident, after leaving utorrent running... They weren't even common stuff - Remington Steele, Quantum Leap, Wind In The Willows :ph34r:

Workmate is having majors with Slingshot at the moment. His quality of net has just deteriorated over the last few months.

After having everything professionally checked (including the exchange) it has come down to they have over sold and no longer have enough capacity during peak hours in our area on the North Shore...

Vodafone finally set us up after a month, Cable internet with Sky and we have 2 Cable routers (One for internet and one seems to be dedicated for the sky) and a 3rd WiFi router. Nice and simple.

Workmate is having majors with Slingshot at the moment. His quality of net has just deteriorated over the last few months.

After having everything professionally checked (including the exchange) it has come down to they have over sold and no longer have enough capacity during peak hours in our area on the North Shore...

That is always the problem when you are dealing with a smaller provide who doesn't have the buying power of the big guys.

I downloaded 13 Gigs on monday (from about 9AM to 5PM) by accident, after leaving utorrent running... They weren't even common stuff - Remington Steele, Quantum Leap, Wind In The Willows :ph34r:

I can understand Remington Steele. BUT wind in the williows?

seriously?

I hope to move on to a UFB plan in the future when I move.

Also... Wind in the Willows is a must watch for any self-respecting motorcar racer, to emulate Mr. Toad.

Oh boy sounds like my ticket to vent over our work connection...

Short story is, we are an IT company. they didnt understand that internet was critical to our business as not only do we need it for all that, we use products like Xero and Tradevine so all our accounts are online. They couldnt get us started because we were "still at our old address". anyways, 20 days later we were finally moved over, and the internet is the slowest piece of sh*t i have ever had. I do a lot of my accounts at home on this computer now (Telecom here)

If internet is critical for your business, then would it not make sense to pay for a guaranteed speed?

In my line of work I see it all to often. A big corporate has problems because they rely on a 'basic' service with no back up and then complain that they can't do anything when said basic service goes down.

• Like 1

I can understand Remington Steele. BUT wind in the williows?

seriously?

I have a 3.5 YO and 1.5 YO.

That's my excuse :lol:

Besides, it's the proper clay animated one.

My 3.5 YO is really into Transformers - him and his mates don't know its the 1984 version I watched as a kid though :lol:

• Like 1