Sign in to follow this  
MISS BM

Colour Options

Over time I would like to ideally upgrade my set of Msport 17's to a nice set of 18's, but until then, I have decided to make do with what I have.

My paint has peeled back, and all rims have a varying amount of curbing, so going to do a DIY job and get them looking good again - but what colour to go for a very plain, boring silver E39?

I was thinking black - since my E30, and E38 have always sported my typical black rim look, plus the advantage of giving that 'bigger' rim appearance does appeal to my better nature, but would it work? I have black trim all around so thought it could potentially work in well, but to be honest, I am lost for any other colours! Posted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be perfectly honest, IMO they are best the colour they are. I cant imagine a colour to suit the car more. Possibly a shadow chrome effect to enhance - as the BBS style 65's are on my silver E39. I have seen the standard silver style 65's & I think they look boring in comparison to the shadow chrome version

To be perfectly honest, IMO they are best the colour they are. I cant imagine a colour to suit the car more. Possibly a shadow chrome effect to enhance - as the BBS style 65's are on my silver E39. I have seen the standard silver style 65's & I think they look boring in comparison to the shadow chrome version

Style 65's are my pick for ideal rims, and I have seen the shadow chrome, they look great! Just thought about how plain and boring my car does look compared to many others and hence the rim colour change to 'spice' it up a bit.

Thank you for your ideas, will take a look at sourcing the ideal silver to match the OEM colour as will be DIY

I don't reacon your car looks boring with the style 66. Mine was bloody awful with the original 15" style 31 - sh*t BMW have made some hideous alloys in their time.

Oh the joys though of 18" 65's - I have managed to bend 3 of the 4 alloys by hitting broken tar seal - 2 occasions. Luckily they have been able to be straightened, how the hell one was though is beyond me - it was warped in various directions. The guy did comment though that the BBS wheels were great to work with.

Style 42 - Nice lip on them, classic BMW spoke pattern B)

You're supposed to have a blue car though ;)

• Like 1

Did black Plastidip on mine. Took a couple of hours - was happy with the result but take your time.

http://bimmersport.co.nz/topic/42337-plastidipped-e39-wheels/?hl=plastidip

Posted Image

I actually have a can of plastidip from when a mate was doing his VW badges black - I thought about it, but didn't think it would stand to the test of rims, I have been proven wrong, looks like that will be the way to go for black...

Does it wear away quickly in regards to cleaning and so on?

Why would you clean them ? They'll be black!! (Is it just me that doesn't clean wheels?):)

• Like 1

Sorry Amber-Leigh but your first sig photo got the boys going and then you changed it. But now you're back!!

Good on you but I have been trying to work out what makes the perfect thread. Myself, I have put serious under the car hours followed by writing up my endeavours and re-sizeing my many photos. End result is 3-4 half assed replies and poof it's all over. Your startegy is to be young, attractive, driving a BMW. an entusiatist.........................................Ohhhh hang on. I get it - sh*t

Ok - shadow chrome or maybe pink

Sorry Amber-Leigh but your first sig photo got the boys going and then you changed it. But now you're back!!

Good on you but I have been trying to work out what makes the perfect thread. Myself, I have put serious under the car hours followed by writing up my endeavours and re-sizeing my many photos. End result is 3-4 half assed replies and poof it's all over. Your startegy is to be young, attractive, driving a BMW. an entusiatist.........................................Ohhhh hang on. I get it - sh*t

Ok - shadow chrome or maybe pink

Pink would be making a statement.. However not really my cup of tea.

I apologise for my gender, and for the change of picture - But the angel eyes of somebody else's car made me feel like a thief, and what better than a proud owner and her nice example of a BMW.

By no means this is a 'perfect' thread, or one that takes the brains of a genius to answer, but I want to present my BMW to the taste of myself, as well as those who will be taking the time to sneak a peak at her when she is driving past, so heck what better way to ask opinions than on a discussion forum.

I spend the majority of my time reading the amazing projects the guys on here get up too (but like others, I don't reply) not just twiddling my thumbs thinking of what to post next. I am a mother, I tend to have better things to do.

Thanks for the colour suggestions, how to source shadow chrome or is it a shop job?

• Like 1

wheels on my Hiace are plastidipped, they get a flogging and holding out well, and despite being a work van i do actually clean it fairly often lol

• Like 1

As for black Plastidip - works on a white car as a contrast but certainly can't see it on a silver car.

Shadow chrome - would imagine it will be a shop job with a skilled painter

As for black Plastidip - works on a white car as a contrast but certainly can't see it on a silver car.

Shadow chrome - would imagine it will be a shop job with a skilled painter

https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=black+rims+E39&client=chrome-mobile&espv=1&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sboxchip=Images&sa=X&ei=jUUxU7yjBILvkQWSxoHYCg&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ#facrc=_

Just did a quick Google search, they don't actually look too bad. The silver lip looks great but wouldn't work on my rims as too small.

If I am going to be spending money like the pro's would charge, better off setting it aside for new rims in all honesty.

Sent from my KM-UQM11A using Tapatalk

Sanch, aka Michael, aka Antil33t, has a set of staggered 18s that he may be selling... You should pm him

Sanch, aka Michael, aka Antil33t, has a set of staggered 18s that he may be selling... You should pm him

This ^

Cool wheels, I think hes actually refurbing them atm as well.

You could also look into Style 32s, they look good on everything and they're cheap!! ripped me $400 for my set!

As for colour,I say Black, it's simple and effective,

Plastidip is silly and for people who can't hack prep work ( I joke I joke ) lol

You can get a mettalizer top coat that turns any colour metallic. Same with gloss for deep gloss finish

Sent from my GT-I8160L using Tapatalk 2

Plastidip comes in metallic these days, I think?

I will certainly be taking a look at that :)

Sent from my KM-UQM11A using Tapatalk

I actually have a can of plastidip from when a mate was doing his VW badges black - I thought about it, but didn't think it would stand to the test of rims, I have been proven wrong, looks like that will be the way to go for black...

Does it wear away quickly in regards to cleaning and so on?

They peeled a little in parts but nothing major. It doesn't wear away, I just used dishwashing liquid and a microfiber.

Tbh I'd probably paint if I did it again. Only $400 for a mint job.

Not a fan of dark wheels even on a white car. I think shadow chrome on a silver car - two shades of silver/grey - would look odd. IMO you can't go wrong with a decent set of wheels properly refurbished and painted silver.

They peeled a little in parts but nothing major.  It doesn't wear away, I just used dishwashing liquid and a microfiber.

Tbh I'd probably paint if I did it again. Only $400 for a mint job.

I guess the reversible effect is what is drawing me, and I think people would be more inclined to purchase them original, come the time to sell :)

Get the lips machined. (There is a good engineering shop by the name of mac-weld in takanini where I got my style 5 curb rashes cleaned up) strip the paint, sand, prime, colour and clear coats. Buff out any orange peel and done. Wkends worth of work for not much money at all.