Sign in to follow this  
Ahmedsinc

Needing a new family wagon

Hi all, as the title suggests we're in the market for a reliable family hack. E36, E46 & E39 will most likely be what we can afford (and I can cope with maintaining!), preferably nothing under 2.5l. Not really so hot on M4x engined examples, definitely would not consider an N42. Have seen a couple of E39 530i that tick most of the boxes, but would be interested to see what isn't necessarily advertised.

Main criteria are

- As many airbags & side intrusion beams as I can manage!

- 6 Cylinder

- Towbar & racks would be ideal

- Factory Isofix mounts would be a huge bonus

- As close as is possible to FSH for a 3rd or 4th owner car (mainly looking for recent maintenance of the known weak points on the M5x engines)

- Diesel would be freaking awesome but there doesn't seem to be a lot around

Budget is ideally >7k but could run to 10 for the right car.

E34s are definitely off the menu, not enough safetys from factory & wifey thinks they're ugly :( MUST be a wagon as baby & dog ain't gonna fit in a sedan :)

This could be a good option (and no I'm not connected to this sale in any way).

Couple of airbags, V6, towbar, 2 (presumably NZ) owners.. could be a bargain, you never know with a low reserve.

This could be a good option (and no I'm not connected to this sale in any way).

Couple of airbags, V6, towbar, 2 (presumably NZ) owners.. could be a bargain, you never know with a low reserve.

I would hope BMW never created a V6 :P

Should be a good deal - given people are potentially put off due to mix up in advert titles. Looks in great condition too.. Go for it.. E39's are awesome cars.

E34s are definitely off the menu, not enough safetys from factory & wifey thinks they're ugly :( MUST be a wagon as baby & dog ain't gonna fit in a sedan :)

Also I take much offence with this; although my E34 has no airbags, anyone who's ever crashed one will know how well they hold up in an accident.. VERY structurally sound. And they are in no way ugly!!!

• Like 1

Also I take much offence with this; although my E34 has no airbags, anyone who's ever crashed one will know how well they hold up in an accident..

That may well be but I'd feel better with airbags too.

• Like 2

Haha giving up on the VW then?

Yup. Hooked it up to a scanner yesterday and it appears the immobiliser has gone into meltdown mode. Have got parts on the way but am over the constant niggles this car keeps throwing at me! Plus the marginal AFM, central locking, indicator arms that have to be held in turn position as they won't engage through a turn, windows that open and close at random.......... :( ad infinitum

Also I take much offence with this; although my E34 has no airbags, anyone who's ever crashed one will know how well they hold up in an accident.. VERY structurally sound. And they are in no way ugly!!!

Not my call mate, that one rests with wifey. I've long had a soft spot for the E34s, but I'm being vetoed on that one. Given that the new cars primary purpose is transporting little Mr and Mum I'd like to have as many features to protect them from the other lunatics that use the roads as is possible :)

• Like 1

Are you after a NZ one or would you consider importing one as their have been a couple of 07 323 wagons with low k's show up.

go for a e39 wagon if you need the space , e46 wagon boots are pretty small , smaller than e36 i reckon .

pity about the e34 thing , just brought another e34 540iT today , i think these will outlast all the e39 and e46's etc if carred for

• Like 1

Dammit mate, how do you keep finding them?!?? :) I'm not at all averse to the idea, just not sure the boss will go for it

Are you after a NZ one or would you consider importing one as their have been a couple of 07 323 wagons with low k's

Mileage doesn't really scare me, tbh. NZ new would be ideal but I'm more interested in vehicle history & whether or not the PO has been inclined to do preventative maintenance or just fix stuff when it breaks. There's an '01 530i estate just north of Auckland that has done 144000, only servicing its had was basic maintenance, less a new water pump after the original plastic once crapped itself. Instantly off the watchlist. Reasonably priced but the PO has done very little outside the bare minimum to keep the car running, and as we all know M5x tend to blow radiator tanks and hoses if they're left in the engine bay too long. After spending nearly $1500 in preventative maintenance parts alone (did all the work myself) on timing belts, radiator, water pump etc etc on the VW I'm not interested, nor can I afford to go through that rigomarole a third time.

E90s are considerably out of my budget range, were I in such a position I suspect I'd sooner go for an E60 based on practicality and build options. Unless you go for a 335i most of the lesser models seem to be fairly close to budget spec, based on the handful of ads I've looked at. Add to that the higher availability of diesels in the E60 imports it would make one near irresistible :) There is a 525i M-sport in Crumblechurch that has my interest, but the seller seems reluctant to give any indication of the reserve. As I would need to factor in an airfare plus the fuel & boat pass it makes it difficult to commit :( Unless of course the owner is a member here somewhere......??

So if anyone has an estate that they're considering moving on from, please let me know! :)

Edited by Ahmedsinc

That 540i Touring in the Trademe forum?

Hell, I'd say yes but for two minor issues. It's stretching the budget to the absolute maximum & Mrs won't have a V8 for a daily :( To be honest I think I'd prefer an LS1 for a family car. They might be dinosaur technology but the reliability is really hard to argue with. Plus the pushrods just seem to deliver the torque better. Now, a DD for me would be a totally different proposition!!

Now that that's out in the open, I'm gonna take cover from the inevitable flak that's about to start heading my way! :ph34r:

To be honest I think I'd prefer an LS1 for a family car. They might be dinosaur technology but the reliability is really hard to argue with.

Hmmm... the engine maybe (maybe - they had a number of them replaced under warranty)... but the rest of the tractor will have bits falling of before you know it ;) )

Hmmm... the engine maybe (maybe - they had a number of them replaced under warranty)... but the rest of the tractor will have bits falling of before you know it ;) )

Two mates of mine run the Gen 3 LS1 in VY2 SS & Clubsport Dunnydoors, combined mileage is now creeping towards 650,000. Granted theres been a whole bunch of in cabin stuff that just decides one random day to brick itself or simply fall off (Sunvisor landing in my mates lap is the funniest one yet) but mechanically they've been impressively sound. Would run a large number of miles from a VT / VX though!

If only they'd built the cars to go round corners with some degree of predictability and grace :(

But I digress. Surely someone must know of a reasonably priced estate to save my family from the disgrace of Holden ownership?? Please?!? :)

• Like 1

buy my "family wagon"?

• Like 3

Mileage doesn't really scare me, tbh. NZ new would be ideal but I'm more interested in vehicle history & whether or not the PO has been inclined to do preventative maintenance or just fix stuff when it breaks. There's an '01 530i estate just north of Auckland that has done 144000, only servicing its had was basic maintenance, less a new water pump after the original plastic once crapped itself. Instantly off the watchlist. Reasonably priced but the PO has done very little outside the bare minimum to keep the car running, and as we all know M5x tend to blow radiator tanks and hoses if they're left in the engine bay too long. After spending nearly $1500 in preventative maintenance parts alone (did all the work myself) on timing belts, radiator, water pump etc etc on the VW I'm not interested, nor can I afford to go through that rigomarole a third time.

Think you've eliminated 99.9% of anything currently for sale ha.

• Like 2

This bad boy! Family friendly as f**k!

post-5102-0-91989000-1397120477_thumb.jp

• Like 1

I could sell you my E34 touring... it's always looked after and serviced on time. (seriously, new rad, waterpump ect)

I drive it once a week.

$2500.

:P

Edited by antil33t

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/renault/auction-712552892.htm My old Laguna. Lovingly did repairs and restoration, but the current owner has added a few battle scars. I would recommend a look at it as it has 8(!) airbags. and is relatively cheap.

all the wagon fanboys come to the party to flog thier car lol

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/renault/auction-712552892.htm My old Laguna. Lovingly did repairs and restoration, but the current owner has added a few battle scars. I would recommend a look at it as it has 8(!) airbags. and is relatively cheap.

Appreciate the thought, but I'm a Francophobe! :)

I could sell you my E34 touring... it's always looked after and serviced on time. (seriously, new rad, waterpump ect)

I drive it once a week.

$2500.

:P

I'd quite like an E34 touring, but wifey says they're "ugly". Her words, not mine. As it'll be her daily I'm out in the cold on this one :(

This bad boy! Family friendly as f**k!

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Actually for sale or just messing around? E36 wagon is definitely on the radar, at least I know how to bloody fix them!! :)

Think you've eliminated 99.9% of anything currently for sale ha

Yeah, never realised how many people out there don't believe in preventative maintenance.

Ah, the perfect family wagon. Buy it !

BMW-M3-Touring-E46-12-1024x681.jpg

Ehrmehgerd!! How did such a creation escape my notice?? I can see it now.....me, Mrs and wee man.......and 340bhp!!!!! :ph34r:

buy my "family wagon"?

She never said a V12 was out of the question!

• Like 1