Sign in to follow this  
jeffbebe

Jooles' E31 project log

I did ask him to mask the injector ports off... Didn't actually check when I picked it up if they did. Hopefully, or as you say, Tony, could be a squeeze getting the injectors back in!!

How so? You mean powdercoating everything or crazy colours?!

I mean just getting every little part that you pull out of the car powdercoated. Not ruling out any sparkly pink valve covers though....

Edit: Ironic sparkly pink, of course.

Edited by duvey

Ha! Yeah, once you start pulling things apart it's very tempting to keep going and tidy everything up. Be careful powder coating though, a lot of parts have very tight clearances so might not fit with the extra layers of paint! I have considered a parts cleaner but I don't think I'd get enough use to justify the cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just back from Arkro Powdercoaters... 

Posted Image

Let the games begin.

They are opposite my shop Julez. Hahah

They are opposite my shop Julez. Hahah

Porana Road is very handy! Takes me 10-15mins to get there from Ponsonby, there's a media blaster, plastic welder, you and powdercoater (plus Supercheap) all within 2 mins of each other! Makes jobs like these a lot easier.

^ For powder coating in that area you need to go to Mikestan in Parity Drive (just up the road). Trust me, I've used both.

Not heard of them. The media blaster I used has a relationship with Arkro (as they're just a block apart) so it was easier to have him drop the manifolds at Arkro rather than me having to be delivery boy. Arkro did a good job and it was very convenient.

• Like 1

Back together and the engine is now running beautifully after a stuttery start...

16005896214_4f64dd99e9_c.jpg

Still need to do some painting in the engine bay but it'll require some careful masking so haven't got round to it yet. The engine cover needs repainting as well, I tried to cure it in situ last time and it just didn't work as the sound deadening rubbed on it before the paint had properly cured.

Then the strut bar can go back on.

All up this job took a lot of man hours and that was with help from Martin. Now that I've done it once I could do it again in half the time... But I really don't want to!

Edited by jeffbebe
  • Like 7

Thanks chaps... It's getting there but still much to do!

Thank Christ it's back together and running! It's been real.

Famous last words.

Experienced the highs and lows of DIY maintenance today. Here's the engine looking pristine and running beautifully (despite my mallet/boot strut)...

16605799796_2b8f8bff1f_c.jpg

16630673941_22b4919612_c.jpg

16605802226_aef44c5109_c.jpg

Then I did something without thinking that I've done many times before - sprayed a bit of throttle body cleaner to ensure there are no vac leaks - and faaarrrrkkk!! Turns out throttle body cleaner eats powder clear coat.

Here are the manifolds now...

16631794795_55c82f3656_c.jpg

16630702841_af06e2dcec_c.jpg

Not a pretty sight. I've tried to cut it out but got to bare metal on the raised 'ribs' in no time. Looks like the manifolds will have to come off again and go back to the powdercoater. Although it's my (costly) mistake, I'm really pissed off that the Arkro recommended a clear coat that's so susceptible to chemicals for an engine bay part. I've powdercoated without a clear and never had this problem. Ridiculous.

Edited by jeffbebe
  • Like 2

If Arkro won't redo it for free or discounted I'll definitely be taking them elsewhere. My mistake but it was bad advice on their part... Plus Martin and I had some problems with bolt holes they hadn't masked properly.

Julez that's terrible news. Ive never used Arkro personally even though they are opposite the road from me but I have heard good things about the guy from Parity Place. I suggest you speak to him as I have heard he is very knowledgeable and skilled. Looks beautiful either way Julez. You have done such a good job man. Major thumbs up. Met Martin on Saturday also. Good guy

Spoke to the guy at Arkro. He was actually really helpful, apologised and offered to redo for nothing as well as saying he'd let me check the masking before going ahead. Will obviously avoid the clear coat next time - it looked great but too fragile - now just got to get the f*ckers off again :(

• Like 1

Are you going to redo both of them? Pretty good service on their part to sort it out, have had similar situations with others (not powder coating) and been told to F off.

Both are poked so yes. Good service, yes, but bad advice on the clear coat.

• Like 1

damn you could have used my spare pair, but sold last week.

• Like 1

Bad luck!

Looks great anyway - as you say, it's always easier once you've done it once before.

Live and learn eh! Keep it up!

• Like 2

Decided to let the pros fit this little lot as it was going to be a while before I could get a hoist to use (and convince my better half to let me spend more weekends not wining and dining her!!). The difference is outrageous.... Wow! So good. No just need to do the rear.... :blink:

post-16586-0-22605500-1424467227.jpg

• Like 3

Awesome work Jooles... good idea to give it to the pros, quick and easy! Such a fiddly job DIY, even with the right tools.

You'll let me have to take it for a spin now its got most of its new feel back! (rear is generally not as crucial I've found but still makes a difference)

If I can drop in on Sunday morning you can take it for a run. Very different beast to the 540i, feels a lot more old school but I like that. Would have loved to have driven it with the original EDC but too difficult/expensive to fix/replace.

• Like 1

looks like the same setup as E32/E34 as expected, totally different beasts with a front overhaul. I wonder if it uses E32 or E34 track width, do you know if the forward control arms are in the inner or outer holes on the subframe?

• Like 1

If I can drop in on Sunday morning you can take it for a run. Very different beast to the 540i, feels a lot more old school but I like that. Would have loved to have driven it with the original EDC but too difficult/expensive to fix/replace.

Ah ha, think you might make the meet in Penrose?