Sign in to follow this  
jeffbebe

Jooles' E31 project log

Julian, Whats with the two injectors that look different from the rest?

The two odd ones out are Lucas injectors. These superseded the original Bosch injectors when they were discontinued. Presumably at some point two of the original Bosch injectors were replaced. Would be nice to swap with Bosch if I can find some cheap enough.

Looks like you are super onto it Jooles. Car seems to have come a long way, great to see :-)

Thanks Adeeb. Feels like one step forward, two steps back a lot of the time but will be very happy if everything runs properly when reassembled... Then gotta to find a hoist to do the suspension... Never ending!

Your turn this time Jooles getting the lower 12 inlet mani nuts in :)

yeah refer to my post. need to find some way to hold them in place to start them on the thread. i suppose a 10mm socket with the nut in and a bit of insulation tape to hold the nut in the socket would work. but i find my tool very usefull. also great for putting bellhousing bolts in place

I got all my injectors rebuilt, tested etc at my closest Bosch agent who are diesel and turbo, was just over $200 including all parts etc.

I strongly recommend you pick up one of these before you start putting the intake back on, much easier to hold th nuts so you don't drop them, only costs about $5 this tool as well. push the button and little claws come out etc. a magnet solution doesn't work

Picked a little claw tool up today, Andy. Will give it a whirl.

• Like 1

Big thanks to Martin for organising injector cleaning at a very competitive price... They even videoed it for me to show that the Lucas injectors are shite, even after cleaning - uneven spray pattern. 2 of the Bosch ones were partially blocked but came right after cleaning. Gotta find two replacement Bosch FJ291 injectors now.

Also got onto some other much-needed engine bay improvements. Painted the yellowing washer tank - used an adhesion promoter and some wrinkle black so hoping it will stick to the high density polyethelene - and the Engl strut bar. Happy with the results. Will be doing the valve covers myself with wrinkle black tonight and pick up the intake manifolds from the powdercoat next week.

15875418613_3fc7629f06_z.jpg

15875420523_1ec412b39e_z.jpg

15875419043_f0c7b37bb8_z.jpg

Edited by jeffbebe

gotta love those lucas electrics :)

• Like 2

Dodgy aerosol meant the finish on the valve covers is nowhere near as good as the one I got on the strut bar but not the end of the world as the valve covers are 95% covered on the M70 anyway.

Did some cleaning - although pleasantly surprised at how clean the intake ports are - fitted locking washer tabs to the banjo bolts and refitted the valve covers with Martin today, manifolds and spruced injectors back next week... Along with a few escaped horses I expect!

16338432030_da9489ab6c_z.jpg

16338416970_1eb3fa0aaf_z.jpg

16499862716_efd3ae8c8c_z.jpg

16524840732_6b53e87591_z.jpg

• Like 3

Looking good. Bet you're dying to drive it again :)

If the wrinkle black is worth 10bhp, Mike, imagine what cleaned and reconditioned injectors will do.... 50? 100? hahaha!!

Perfect day to cure the strut bar today, aswell (another 10bhp!).

16530823951_f8a6ec4107_z.jpg

15909966374_501369acff_z.jpg

Edited by jeffbebe

Jooles I'm looking into whether I can find some genuine injectors for you. But might have to purchase a set or maybe 4 or something. Most retailers don't sell individual. But we'll see. Will let you know

Thanks Ken but don't worry, Ray has already come to the rescue!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Ken but don't worry, Ray has already come to the rescue!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sweet. Who knows what else is lurking around in his main workshop!
  • Like 1

Yummy. I think I would find it difficult not to go overboard with powdercoating. I suspect that this is a common problem.

Yummy. I think I would find it difficult not to go overboard with powdercoating. I suspect that this is a common problem.

How so? You mean powdercoating everything or crazy colours?!

Injectors fit in the end of that manifold right? Watch for tight fitment, the powdercoat can be quite thick and close the clearences down a bit.

• Like 1