Sign in to follow this  
M3_Power

Bravo BMW New Zealand ! (advancd apologies to the forum - rant ins

So thought I'd update the people that care (many probably don't) ... because this is how you get treated as a so called "valued" customer with BMW and I just really love to share.

The M3/M4 experience day (happening on the 25th) had invitation sent out I am sure probably many weeks ago ...

My rants obviously got heard and I received messages via my facebook and on bimmersport from people connected to BMW NZ that I was "indeed" always on the invite list and I should hear straight away (actually I was told over and over it would be a personal call or email yesterday). Well nothing happened yesterday (as I am sure they were juggling to see if they could still squeeze one more person in from the "inadvertent" MISSED invite.)

So low and behold I get an email this morning to say you are duly invited to this great event ... but wait ... there's only one spot remaining .. and guess what ... RSVP is 15/7 ... really?? You sent out invites to events and expect RSVP within 6 days?? I have never ever seen that with event invites. The Porsche one I got was 2 months ahead!!!

To further rub insult into injury ... the glossy email invitation invite was in none other than SOMEBODY ELSE'S name ...

Yes sure .. I was already on the list ...

They MUST REALLY think I have an IQ of a 5 years old.

end of rant.

Here's my email reply to the personal invite:

Hi Dawn
Whilst I appreciate the gesture and what the dealership might have had to juggle to get me into the ‘last spot’ in the event I think it is blatantly obvious that I was never on the invite list in the first place.
I have a motto that if you must ask then you probably don’t deserve, and by the looks of it BMW NZ didn’t think I deserve it in the first place, as a result I don’t think BMW NZ deserve any more of my hard earned money for its products.
So thank you for the “Personal” invitation to “Peter” .... but I ain’t Peter, never was and never will be.
Suffice to say I will be plastering this experience as much as I can on social media so those who care can get an idea how once loyal customers are treated.
Have a great day.
Edited by M3_Power
  • Like 4

Nor did i

Nor did i get one from Porsche

Im going to buy buy a merc now...only if they invite me to an event

Maybe you have to have owned 5 M3's Tom? :P

But seriously that is very poor. What's next? Audi? AMG?

Edited by roo

So I take it you won't be attending Tom?

That sucks to hear man. :( If anyone deserves to get the priority invite it would be you surely.

If it makes you feel any better, my personal invite was also to "Peter". And was also only sent to me last week with (spots filling very very fast) etc.

I'd be happy to just get any sort of invite. They can call me Peter, or Pauline for all I care.

#guessimnotthatpicky

• Like 2

Sorry Tom, but lighten up. You got an invite. Hundreds of other people did not.

If you can't make it, too bad. Tell them. Let them give the position to someone who can.

To be honest this sounds like standard corporation issues where they farm out these jobs to their pr department instead of talking to the cust service reps.

Somewhat unavoidable as businesses get bigger. But the poor responce once its been bought to their attention shows a lack of care and integrity.

Im guessing the organiser looked at who bought tge most cars last year and invited someone who bought a 1 series for every family member or someone who leased 10 x 3 series.

While you seem to dump the gdp of a small nation into upgrade parts etc.

Ive always found the best bet is to find one person you really know who will go the extra mile. Parts or branch manager and always talk to them as they are the only ones who knows who you are and what they have to lose.

Sounds like spending your money elsewhere is the best solution if you aren't happy.

Not sure how the event was run this time. But for the E92 launch, each dealer handled the invites themselves and had their own day/s for their customers.

As I said in another thread, I know a few people ( including my father ) who didn't get invites this time and who have owned new and used M3's ( plus M5's and M6's ), and who would be in the market for the car.

And then it's odd that DaveO gets an invite when I dont think he's purchased a new M model recently? Or would be in the market for one.

It's a complete crapshot.

• Like 1

I think for this type of thing brands need to recognise their loyal customers, the enthusiasts, influencers and unofficial brand ambassadors. From my understanding of your history Tom, you are all 4.

Personally in some cases I have found BMW employees to be dismissive of me (age? my gangsta steez?) - While I am a loyal brand follower and (family) influencer myself, I would never consider buying new, so I don't feel hard done by not being invited to events. However I think you should and I agree with your rant.

• Like 1

first world problems?

Absolutely LOL ... but these are usually the most entertaining ones aren't they : ) Get your popcorn out?

I am well aware that reading this in isolation means nothing and seems pitiful and reflects badly on original posters, so nothing I say will probably change how this reflects upon me, so I won't bother. But those that know me and the background story that lead to all of this will at least get the gist of my complaint - be it deserving or not, either way, just enjoy it for the entertainment factor : )

Nor did i

Nor did i get one from Porsche

Im going to buy buy a merc now...only if they invite me to an event

Money where your mouth is perhaps? I know a good Merc sales, want me to get him to call you? (jokes!!)

Maybe you have to have owned 5 M3's Tom? :P

But seriously that is very poor. What's next? Audi? AMG?

Haha Roo ... I am starting to think otherwise ... Perhaps the key is to NOT spend any money with them.

So I take it you won't be attending Tom?

That sucks to hear man. :( If anyone deserves to get the priority invite it would be you surely.

If it makes you feel any better, my personal invite was also to "Peter". And was also only sent to me last week with (spots filling very very fast) etc.

I don't think anyone deserves to get an invite as such Dave - at least in this instance certainly not me (nor is this what I am implying). But whatever system they have adopted to pick invites to these events is obviously not working, especially when they've known for years that I have not had an invite to such an event (have been told to make as much noise as possible if I wanted to get one automatically and not after the fact) - it's almost like the elephant in the room that they've chosen to ignore. Oh well.

I'd be happy to just get any sort of invite. They can call me Peter, or Pauline for all I care.

#guessimnotthatpicky

A name change via deed poll was certainly on my mind haha : P

Sorry Tom, but lighten up. You got an invite. Hundreds of other people did not.

If you can't make it, too bad. Tell them. Let them give the position to someone who can.

Fairly sure that's what I said in the email. I am not going to be the third wheel ... the odd one out .. the 21st person in a group of 20 ... the moment I accept that invite everyone else that was originally invited loses out so to speak. Hence why I have declined.

Anyways, as per response above that wasn't the point of all of this - long winded background story in all of this that most don't really need to care or feel has to care. So treat it as entertainment first world problem of a crazy ranting owner : )

To be honest this sounds like standard corporation issues where they farm out these jobs to their pr department instead of talking to the cust service reps.

Somewhat unavoidable as businesses get bigger. But the poor responce once its been bought to their attention shows a lack of care and integrity.

Im guessing the organiser looked at who bought tge most cars last year and invited someone who bought a 1 series for every family member or someone who leased 10 x 3 series.

While you seem to dump the gdp of a small nation into upgrade parts etc.

Ive always found the best bet is to find one person you really know who will go the extra mile. Parts or branch manager and always talk to them as they are the only ones who knows who you are and what they have to lose.

^ They know who I am ... I am like the pink elephant in the room shouting "can I get an invite for the last 7 years" yet seemingly not enough despite being told that's what I should do to make sure I get one automatically.

I think the issue is in the system that they have adopted - it's not like they don't know I want to attend.

I guess am simply astonished that despite all efforts and promises from all corners of the organisation who are very involved directly in all of this that they still managed to miss my original invite.

To be honest, it's not the actually being invited to attend that brought upon this post, heck I'd have been a happy camper if someone called and said, "sorry mate, there were only 40 positions this year for the event and we had to give it to those who were "X, Y and Z" because that was the policy this year ect, but when the car first arrives in the showroom, we'll make sure to book you in for a test drive okay?" - that to me is customer service.

Edited by M3_Power

Very agree with the last paragraph^

Sure, its important to get things right the first time. But we are all humans afterall, human error or stupid policy aside, customer service is about maintaining a good relationship by taking that one extra step. They could have easily done something simple as what Tom mentioned, be honest and make amends. Not be dishonest and make excuses.

I didn't deserve an invite at all. Not sure why I got one, all I've done is spend a few grand on servicing costs, have never bought a car from them new or anything.

But in saying that, I very promptly accepted their invite... I'm very excited and looking forward to it! Never been to one of these days.

Edited by DaveO

I didn't deserve an invite at all. Not sure why I got one, all I've done is spend a few grand on servicing costs, have never bought a car from them new or anything.

But in saying that, I very promptly accepted their invite... I'm very excited and looking forward to it! Never been to one of these days.

It's a shame it's not at Taupo like last time, they chartered a plane down.

sounds like someone there pulled some strings for you Dave, grab that with two hands. Powerslide where you can. ;)

It's got nothing to do with anything. A lot of it is random.

Ive spent over 60k on new OEM parts building two cars. Never got invited to anything and was on the database.

A lot of it has to do with which dealer sales manager you're known too. There only a handful of invites around.

NZ is pretty small unfortunately, also sales managers move on, mentally and job wise.

Sounds pretty poor really. CCS have been a lot better to us with invites to things across their brands. They even treat me very well when servicing my Golf that I did not buy off them. I'll be buying my next car off them I'm pretty certain so good customer service does work!

As mentioned earlier though it can all come down to a single person, if you have a good relationship with a dealer or service manager it helps a lot.

Feels like I'm reading Facebook

Some of the responses most definitely : P

Actually my personal feeling is that it shouldn't just be about what you have bought or how much you've spent at a dealership. They do need to develop new client base afterall.

But when you've voiced your discontent with them (because you are told to as that's how you get on the list), then be contacted by various people within the upper hierarchy that they would most definitely have no reason not to put an invite my way for such a particular event - then be promised that I was for sure on the invite - only to then not actually get one and having to have to voice my discontent once again before somebody made contact, that leaves a lot to be desired (and then to have them pretend that I was actually on the list in the first place to begin with). I don't know, call me spoiled or narcissistic or self absorbed or whatever - for me I just call it bad customer service.

It's got nothing to do with anything. A lot of it is random.

Ive spent over 60k on new OEM parts building two cars. Never got invited to anything and was on the database.

A lot of it has to do with which dealer sales manager you're known too. There only a handful of invites around.

NZ is pretty small unfortunately, also sales managers move on, mentally and job wise.

Josh, I wish it was a case of managers moving on and I got left in the bottom draw - definitely not the case. It almost feels like someone making a dedicated promise and then deliberately breaking it just because they can.

As mentioned earlier though it can all come down to a single person, if you have a good relationship with a dealer or service manager it helps a lot.

I am not entirely sure that relationship with the dealership is the issue here - actually I am not sure what is the issue if I am honest !!! Might just be me LOL!!!

My final reply to them:

Hi Dawn

Thank you for your call and please there is no need to apologise for what isn't your mishandling of the situation ultimately. Essentially there is a long story behind all of this that you may or may not be aware of.

My reason for declining the late invite are various, but are predominantly dominated by the fact that I do not wish to be the third wheel or the 21st person in a group of 20 - that in itself rubs from those who are attending under the original invitation the time they would otherwise get out of the event.

I do appreciate the gesture, but I think that moment has passed. No one wants to attend a party they weren't originally a part of.

I will come view the car when it is at the dealership.

As for the system that determines how these events are run and how invites are selected, perhaps those who carry these tasks out need to review it - as I was most definitely the pink elephant in the room for the last seven years that was conveniently ignored once again. 16 years of loyalty is a long time to be given to a brand.

Regards

Surely much more entertaining than fb

Thanks for listening everyone.

I am curious to know what their reply to your email was (is) , make sure you put it up if you get one.

And if they had invited you initially with the correct name would have you definitely brought a M4?

Also does this thread even need to be on the internet? its not really what this forum is for or about in my opinion..... correct me if I’m wrong i thought we were here to talk about maintaining, breaking, fixing, modifying, cleaning and taking photos of our BMW's. Not personal opinion attacks on a very commendable dealership, who were not personally spiting you. Just a paper work mistake i would have thought. They have inventory’s of thousands of names to sort through and these things can happen.

And if they had invited you initially with the correct name would have you definitely brought a M4?

Also does this thread even need to be on the internet? its not really what this forum is for or about in my opinion..... correct me if I’m wrong i thought we were here to talk about maintaining, breaking, fixing, modifying, cleaning and taking photos of our BMW's. Not personal opinion attacks on a very commendable dealership, who were not personally spiting you. Just a paper work mistake i would have thought. They have inventory’s of thousands of names to sort through and these things can happen.

Uh, this is the internets, and this isn't the maintaining, breaking, fixing, modifying, cleaning and taking photos of our BMW's part of the board. So i'd suggest this is exactly what this part of the board is for.

And no, they wouldn't have 1000's of names to sort through. It doesn't take a genius to work out which clients you should be inviting to an event to launch a pretty niche car in the M3 ( at a racetrack ).

Would your dealership invite guests to the launch of the GT3 who only have a history or purchasing ( unrelated ) parts through your parts department, or who have no history of owning a GT3? I'd suggest they would look at who have bought similar product in the past, and fill the rest of the spots with loyal customers and people who they are hoping to bring in from other brands.

How about they invite some of their die hard BMW fans. People from the race series. That you know. Is for BMW's only.

Spend thousands through them every year.

Not really just a skid session though.

Edited by driftit