Sign in to follow this  
mynbmr

Keep right unless pasing

Is it me or did I miss a law change in road rules, lately I seem to be passing cars on the left on the motorway.

They coming off the off ramp and go straight to the fast line and doing 95 100 and not passing any one

and just sitting there and every one is passing on the left special early in the morning, even in the truck I seem to

doing it more.

And watt is up wit those Auckland snow bunnies don't they now how to dip their light when they going or coming back from the

mountain.

Just my runt for the weekend

• Like 1

Do you.mean keep left unless passing?.

Some two lane roads i will stick right regardless as the slow lane is often rough from truck damage. Though i know how a rear view mirror works so im ok.

The right hand lane thing confounds me. Many roads have signs explicitly saying to keep left, but still there are a huge number of drivers who this obviously doesn't apply to.

• Like 1

I have been a passenger a few tomes holding up traffic with drivers who refuse to move as the other drivers shouldnt need to go any faster than 100. soooo embarresing

• Like 3

if i see that i am pulling up behind someone in the right line a few flashes of the high beams tends to get them to move over, i dont know if that would work in AKL.

works in the Van with the bull bars on the front, usually if i am in one of the BMWs they tend to just move over, wierd huh

but Dutchy, perception is trucks are slow so why would they move over i guess

I find I'm having to do the exaggerated undertake more often too. Pricks in lala land toorling along at 95 on a highway. Have taken to leaning on the horn as I come up alongside then lately. Even then, 75% are oblivious

Agree with jason h. I know how to use the rear view mirror so all good.

I hate it the most when drivers on the motorway line up next to each other on all 3 lanes going like 80kmh..

• Like 1

if i see that i am pulling up behind someone in the right line a few flashes of the high beams tends to get them to move over, i dont know if that would work in AKL.

works in the Van with the bull bars on the front, usually if i am in one of the BMWs they tend to just move over, wierd huh

but Dutchy, perception is trucks are slow so why would they move over i guess

haha, i find this too. No one gets out of the way for the Honda Fit flying up behind them, but when they have a BMW flying up behind them they get out of the way pretty quickly.

I must be super rude, but If I find myself behind someone doing 80-90 in the fast lane, I slap my highbeams on, and indicate to the right so they get a picture.. It eventually gets through to them.. Or if left lane is clear will pass... Sometimes the horn comes into play if Im feeling generous..

Pet peeve for me, and call me rude but if they aren't following courteous road rules, I seem to forget my manners...

• Like 4

I must be getting old , I used to go every where at 120 km (the road back then were'nt that busy) now i just do 90km and piss every one off.

*555 (yes you can call that while driving

Unfortunately in bundy New Zealand, it's legal to drive in any motorway lane,

so, passing whilst using a lefter lane is legal,

except retards always pull back into the left lane without checking, it's happened to me so many times... driving slightly faster in the left lane and getting cut off by a f**khead driving too slow.

literally having this exact conversation with the wife last night.

Was able to keep my speed by moving between lanes 1 & 2 as the "fast" lane was blocked with slow moving traffic.

Oh and Andy, the "flash the lights please move" routine is literally pointless here. It's usually not the guy directly in front of you. It's the preceding 27 cars.

: passing whilst using a lefter lane is legal

Haha, I had no idea of this. I make a point of using the left lane and passing people even if the right lane is free. Some times it wakes them up and they move over after ive passed.

People just arnt educated to keep left, there's no push from any governing body or the police (that Ive seen) so it'll never change. Most people have no idea there in the wrong and there are plenty of "screw all the people doing more than 100Kph" types as said above.

... And then there is a seemingly different set of laws that apply to motorcyclists. I've not quite got to the bottom of what is legal, illegal, allowed, frowned on, or what you can get away with when on a bike without attracting unwanted attention.

I believe it to be legal to pass a vehicle on the left, using the left lane on a multi-lane highway. Given the number of people indiscriminately using the right hand lane at 85km/h, this is perhaps just as well. (And not all of them respond to flashed headlights...)

It comes back to the same discussion that's been had here and elsewhere. Better driver education is needed.

• Like 1

Most people have no idea there in the wrong and there are plenty of "screw all the people doing more than 100Kph" types as said above.

plenty also don't realise that their 20yr old speedo is inaccurate.

I'm sure they are sitting on 100 on their dash, but my GPS says your going 84 buddy. So get out of the freakin fast lane and let people past.

• Like 1

Unfortunately in bundy New Zealand, it's legal to drive in any motorway lane,

so, passing whilst using a lefter lane is legal,

Tis true though not the safest law around. Sometimes I stick cruise control on at 100kph as a personal challenge to see if I can weave through the semi-conscious highway drivers without having to switch it off.

• Like 2

Tis true though not the safest law around. Sometimes I stick cruise control on at 100kph as a personal challenge to see if I can weave through the semi-conscious highway drivers without having to switch it off.

lol also guilty, V12s dont like fluctuating revs anyways

• Like 1

i dont have cruise :(

I concur on motorbikes too, crazy/stupid bastards. I wish there was a way to police the use of motorbikes better.

I've got no problem with bikes lane splitting provided they do it properly.

Unlike the prick that cut me off the other day then SAT IN THE RIGHT LANE. At 80k. On a bike. With a car next to him on the left also doing 80k.

That situation was an excellent exercise in self control.

I concur on motorbikes too, crazy/stupid bastards. I wish there was a way to police the use of motorbikes better.

bikers riding like lunatics don't worry me so much. They have much more to lose.

if they cock up it'll leave a dent... but i'm unlikely to be injured in my steel cocoon

• Like 1

... And then there is a seemingly different set of laws that apply to motorcyclists. I've not quite got to the bottom of what is legal, illegal, allowed, frowned on, or what you can get away with when on a bike without attracting unwanted attention.

I believe it to be legal to pass a vehicle on the left, using the left lane on a multi-lane highway. Given the number of people indiscriminately using the right hand lane at 85km/h, this is perhaps just as well. (And not all of them respond to flashed headlights...)

It comes back to the same discussion that's been had here and elsewhere. Better driver education is needed.

Ill usually pass in the same lane to move to front if a que of traffic stopped at lights(which is legal), or some one is going way under the limit that its just easy\safer to get by them and ride at speed limit.

Lane splitting is a bit of grey area but usually as long as traffic is stopped or moving very slow and you keep you speed down then most cops are usually ok with it.

Ive only really needed to do it in Auckland for the most part.

Amount of car drivers that sit 1-2m off my ass is crash waiting to happen, plenty of stupid people in cars, trucks etc etc. Makes me laugh when people get mad because they cant do what a bike can do in their car.

If you are in Auckland. There is no passing lane. There is no fast lane.

The roads are too crowed and the drivers too poorly educated for this concept to work any longer.

Also I don't think it is drilled into new licence sitters as much as it was 15+ years ago.

A good chunk of people on our roads are also from Countries where these rules don't exist.

• Like 2

In dunedin the motorway is dual lane, and is never particularly full. but you'll get one idiot going the exact same 80/90 as the person to their left.....

the OP doesn't bother me so much, at least traffic is moving in that scenario.

What annoys the sh1t out of me is impatient folk who refuse to merge, and absolutely MUST gain half a car length by slipping up the inside or outside in merging lanes, driving full noise to the very end of merging lanes straight past a long line of cars moving slowly in lane then coming to a complete stop and indicating to merge. Not leaving gaps for side road traffic to come in/out.

The worst one though, is the folk that indicate left to pull into a driveway, slow down and take a sharp right and occupy the entire road just so they can take a more frontal entry into the driveway. Fine if there's nothing around you, f@#king annoying when you aren't aware they're going to do that. Most folk indicate left, pull left , slow down and turn in at least leaving room for anyone behind to continue on past.

• Like 1