Sign in to follow this  
mynbmr

Keep right unless pasing

Its funny you mention it. Here in Auckland i notice alot of people pass on the slow lane..

i hate right hand lane hogs also.... the other thing that really grinds my gears is people who cruise down the entire on-ramp at 60-70 kmh, then merge onto the motorway...... and then FINALLY speed upto 100kmh!! >:(

• Like 1

bimmersport road rage support group

preventing homicidal rampages since '03

If I set up a recording session driving from North to South Auckland, the amount of swear words that would have to be blanked out would probably stun most people.

Majority of Auckland drivers seem oblivious to the fact there are others on the road..

• Like 1

Lane splitting is a bit of grey area but usually as long as traffic is stopped or moving very slow and you keep you speed down then most cops are usually ok with it.

Ive only really needed to do it in Auckland for the most part.

Not really a grey area as it's very clear in the road code. It's illegal in the UK where I learnt to drive. When I emigrated 14 years ago I had to learn the NZ road code which is mostly very similar but there were two distinct differences (one of which has now been aligned with the UK).

1) Always give way to the right - even when it's really dangerous to do so

2) It's okay to undertake in the left lane of a multi-lane road

Neither is safe and first has been dispensed with. If it's clear in the outer lane I would always overtake but as many have mentioned in Auckland, this is often not possible because of the halfwits on the road at the same time.

i hate right hand lane hogs also.... the other thing that really grinds my gears is people who cruise down the entire on-ramp at 60-70 kmh, then merge onto the motorway...... and then FINALLY speed upto 100kmh!! > :(

I actually have gotten to really like the on ramp signals. It's like a invitation for a 0-100 run.

• Like 3

I actually have gotten to really like the on ramp signals. It's like a invitation for a 0-100 run. 

+1

The only thing I cant stand on the road is merging like a button.. Am I wrong for pulling ahead of someone so I obey the rule?

^^ Merge like a zip?

Merging like a button is probably a better analogy for most drivers though who try to push into a space just a bit smaller than their car.

Edited by MLM
  • Like 1

Merging like a button is probably a better analogy for most drivers though who try to push into a space just a bit smaller than their car.

Yeah, thats what I was getting at, how hard is it to go one by one!?

Seems to be just about impossible for 80% of drivers in NZ from what I have experienced.

• Like 1

Not really a grey area as it's very clear in the road code.

No its definitely a grey area as there is a way to do it legally( passing cars on the right within the same lane) but obviously that not always an option with cars positioning them selves all over the lane. Constantly switching from left, right and riding the middle makes it technically illegal but the safest option.

No its definitely a grey area as there is a way to do it legally( passing cars on the right within the same lane) but obviously that not always an option with cars positioning them selves all over the lane. Constantly switching from left, right and riding the middle makes it technically illegal but the safest option.

No, the road code clearly states that you can pass on either side on a multi-lane road in New Zealand. Stupid rule but it's legal.

It is illegal in the UK where I learnt to drive so a habit I generally practice unless there are blithering idiots on the road.

And here we see why I posted what I did in #15. ;)

It's not just NZ. It's a confusion of indetermination world wide. In some countries the terms 'lane splitting' and 'filtering' are used interchangeably, but in some they mean different things. (I don't know if that's the case in NZ.) In some countries one law applies to motorcycles, and another to pedal cycles.

I think it is the differentiation between passing a vehicle while remaining within the same marked lane, or moving out of the lane and into an adjacent one, but I don't know which of these would be deemed inappropriate or dangerous. The question of stationery or moving traffic also plays a part, and then there is the question of what constitutes 'slow moving' traffic, or traffic moving slowly enough for lane splitting (or filtering) to be legally permissible. (Note: I didn't say safe!)

I'll research it properly sometime. Perhaps NZ law does make it explicitly clear and I've just not read the right bit, yet.

Given the inability of so many road users to read and obey a sign stating 'Keep left unless passing', there must be a case for ensuring any rules for road use are as clear as possible.

As a motorcyclist I ride as safely as possible, and treat every other road user as though they are out to kill me. I give them as much space as I possibly can, using the full width of the carriageway if necessary. After all - it makes no difference whatsoever if I'm right or wrong in the event of an accident: I'm always going to come off worst.

Yep glad some people what im talking about and it was regarding motorcycles which i thought was clear.

eating yogurt , reading a book doing make-up with the visor down and looking in the mirror

A few years ago, we were heading out south from CHCH, on the open road at 100kph. We end up behind this knob doing about 80-90kph, swerving around his lane a bit, so the first passing lane we get to we boost off past him, only to see why he was driving so sh*t. He was watching a portable DVD player, that he was holding with his thumbs in the middle of his steering wheel. I sh*t you not, crazy bastard.

Too young back then to know about *555 etc, so we just made sure to put a lot of distance between us.

• Like 1

Got a mate that drives with his knees while doing a full clothing change between jobs..

Must admit it's pretty impressive.. Although stupid..

Or in the younger days when you travelling round the back roads and your mate asks you to hold and drive the steering wheel while they light up a smoke...

Worst Ive done was attempt to read mail in peak hour.. Yeah was too much of a mission!

Noones gonna talk about drivers getting a blowjob? A friend crashed while recieving. Gf complained that she was doing all the work and got all the bruises....

Noones gonna talk about drivers getting a blowjob? A friend crashed while recieving. Gf complained that she was doing all the work and got all the bruises....

oh yes.. I had an Series 4 RX7 a few years back now.. and for some reason it made girls want to "indulge" in that activity... particuly on the motorway.. not sure what it was... never had one in my beamer thou??? bugger.

• Like 1

iv always wondered why we dont implement a system like the uk having a 70mph/120k fast lane and its law for slower drivers to pull left if you flash your lights, 120 is plenty fast for getting places i rekon

^ which is also now illegal ("excessive acceleration"). :-/

And I agree with the general sentiment here. If there is an empty lane to your left you're in the wrong damn lane! Grr.

I miss driving in Europe. :(

Damn, so my "I don't speed officer, I just accelerate to the speed limit" excuse won't work. :D

oh yes.. I had an Series 4 RX7 a few years back now.. and for some reason it made girls want to "indulge" in that activity... particuly on the motorway.. not sure what it was... never had one in my beamer thou??? bugger.

Did you pick them up from West Auckland? Have a Rotor tramp stamp? Or have 3 kids to 5 different dads?

Rotary girls..

I like to overtake someone going slow then cut in front semi close without indicating. Its a prick of a thing to do but hey, most people on the road think bmw drivers are w@nk3rs, so may aswell act like one

I like to overtake someone going slow then cut in front semi close without indicating. Its a prick of a thing to do but hey, most people on the road think bmw drivers are w@nk3rs, so may aswell act like one

Good way to get your windows smashed in next time you pull up at the lights down here. Wanker.